Ch39: Because That Love

Between Me and You

Three years, seven months, nineteen days since Kijoon told Mingyu she loved him and chose him over Wonwoo. Yet, she did not agree to date him or call him her boyfriend. Not for the sake of Wonwoo, for her own sake. Grade 10 was full of the relationships she wanted and did not want with two guys she was head over heels in love with and she could not take any more of it.

Being in a relationship was hard for Kijoon because if he was angry, she was angry. If he was sad, she was sad. In all honesty, Kijoon couldn’t handle her emotions in an appropriate enough way to cope with a relationship with Mingyu. She knew they wouldn’t fight, or if they did it wouldn’t be often, but she couldn’t pull herself into a full blown relationship. She simply was with Mingyu, and everyone acknowledge that.

No one tried to date Mingyu or Kijoon (not that they tried very hard to date Kijoon in the first place). They knew where the two’s feelings stood and were not going to intercept in fear that they would only b rejected. It was a new sort of relationship Kijoon developed, where two people trusted in loving each other, but did not restrict themselves to each other.

Kijoon held on to the memories of her relationships though. She held onto them tightly. Most were locked away in her pink and purple polka dotted box, but some she kept around so she’d be reminded of everything that made her relationships with Wonwoo and Mingyu great. Her necklace was one of them. By now the silver was slightly rusted and the outside had small scratches and a tiny dent that could only be seen up close, but Kijoon still wore it.

The necklace reminded her of what Wonwoo meant to her. He’d always be there with her even when he wasn’t, or when he was angry, or when he didn’t want to be with her. She wore it because she loved him, not in the same way as Mingyu, nor as close to how much she loved Mingyu by now. But she loved him, and Wonwoo always reminded her that he loved her all the same as he did three years seven months and nineteen days ago.

Wonwoo was broken. He was broken for a long time after Mingyu was first accepted into Kijoon’s heart. He was so engulfed by his love for Kijoon he was completely blind to seeing how happy she was without him. All he could see was how happy she would be in between their daily fights. He never realized that it was those moments of happiness that tore Kijoon apart.

She didn’t want to have a relationship that was all over the map. It was constant up and downs and it was tiring for the both of them. It took two full months for Wonwoo to settle himself. He had isolated himself from Kijoon and Mingyu in order to do so, but they welcomed him back warmly. When he had found that the two weren’t (in his words) ‘publicly dating’ he had a feeling of relief for a moment. He didn’t have to listen to people talk of them as a couple because to everyone around them they weren’t.

This lead Wonwoo to believe he still stood a chance, well at least there was a small portion in his brain that thought so. Little gestures and things, like wearing his necklace, kept his hopes up for a year until he let the thought sink in his head that there was no chance of getting back together.

He would watch her silently all through his last year of high school. Wonwoo would sit completely still just watching her talk and smile with Mingyu. It was beautiful seeing her happy again, and that was something Wonwoo didn’t want to take away. So he gave up. He let go of Kijoon in a sense. Wonwoo continued to go out of his way to please Kijoon, but he would always remind himself he didn’t have a chance with Mingyu was around.

It hurt. Wonwoo didn’t like the self torture he was putting himself through by keeping close with Kijoon, but he couldn’t leave her. He loved her, and she loved him. She was everything to him. And Wonwoo would cry, because Mingyu was everything to her.

Now they were in university. Mingyu had been accepted elsewhere from Wonwoo and Kijoon, but that didn’t break their bond. The frequent phone or skype calls kept the three of them in constant connection through the school year, and they were sure to head home in between semesters.

“Kijoon, let’s go! I bet Mingyu is already home!” Wonwoo yelled hulling bags for summer vacation into the back of the taxi. Kijoon skipped out of the house they rented out of together throwing two bags on top. Wonwoo eyed them carefully noticing green and blue tissue paper poking out the top.

“I missed Pyojoon and Hana’s birthdays this year.” Kijoon muttered embarrassed sliding into the back seat. Wonwoo laughed sliding in beside her. “This is going to be so much money, why did we decide not to drive again?”

Wonwoo fastened his seatbelt and looked over at his younger, “WE did not decide to drive I did since you don’t have your license. I’ll pay it.” Kijoon rolled her eyes leaning up against the window. It was going to be a long drive.

It was a long drive. Not the longest Kijoon had ever withstood but it dragged on forever. She was too excited to be going home that it seemed double the length. Kijoon was already getting out of the taxi before it came to a complete stop. She left Wonwoo to take care of the bags rushing to the door of Mingyu’s house to greet him.

Kijoon screamed happily locking onto Mingyu with everything in her body. Her legs were around his waist and arms around his neck babbling on about how much she missed seeing him in person everyday for the past six months. “Has it really been that long?” Mingyu asked putting her back on the ground. Kijoon nodded ecstatically.

“Guys?!” Wonwoo whined paying the taxi driver and removing luggage from the trunk. Mingyu jogged over to help bringing bags inside.

Walking through the front door Kijoon was welcomed by a group of familiar faces. Wonwoo, Mingyu and her own family were sitting around the living room waiting for all the university students’ arrivals. Pyojoon and Hana smiled at their sister in between nudging each other tauntingly while Kijoon’s parents sat comfortably at their daughter waving her over.

Kijoon distributed gifts to her siblings and parents catching up on everything she missed around the city while she was gone. She missed hearing of all the people and wondered how they were holding up in their lives now that she wasn’t a part of them anymore.

A couple hours into visiting and the trio had already set out to the park they used to visit regularly when still in high school. Mingyu was talking about the latest group he attempted at joining to fit in at his school, ‘Palites’ he said it was. He started describing all these activities they did trying to create some kind of personal relationship with strangers on the street.

“It’s really creepy, I was in it for about three days. They are really touchy people.” He said shivering at the memory.

Together the three of them sat in the patch of grass they had flattened over four years of their lives. Mingyu looked at Wonwoo a certain way earning a nod. He sat in front of Kijoon on his knees. “I have something to ask you.” Mingyu directed catching Kijoon’s attention. She gestured him to proceed. “Do you still love me the way you did back in grade 10?” Kijoon smiled to herself looking down into her lap where her palms sat up towards the sky.

“Of course I do.” She said as if it was a routine.

 Mingyu smiled back, “Well I’d like to say I love you too,” reaching into his pocket and pulled out a small velvet box, “and I received your parents’ consent and a pass from Wonwoo in order to ask you to marry me.” Kijoon hung open agape and looked to Wonwoo. He gave a gentle smile nodding as if to reassure Kijoon that he was alright. Kijoon took her bottom lip into , she could feel tears in the corner of her eyes but she couldn’t pin point why.

“So, my Kijoonie, in which I’m not dating because you are so stubborn,” Kijoon hid her face in her hands facing down. Mingyu tilted her chin up pushing her hands away to see tears falling down her cheeks, “Don’t cry this is supposed to be a happy moment,” He added in quickly before continuing, “Will you marry me?” Mingyu’s fingers moved to flick the box open when Kijoon cupped his face and kissed him for the first time in three years seven months and nineteen days. And with that kiss she said yes a million times over.

Wonwoo found himself with wet eyes as well watching Kijoon fall over Mingyu, but he still continued to smile because now she was happy, and would be happy forever.


A/N: Well my beloved readers, this is the end. I'm sorry again for such a rushed ending. I will update another chapter just to say thank yous and surveys and such so I don't go on for paragraphs here. Remember to check out my other Seventeen stories! :)