Ch28: A Little Too Familiar

Between Me and You

It was instantaneous. Kijoon went into some sort of teenage tantrum. “Did you tell him we were coming here?” Wonwoo nodded,

“Actually he invited us.” Kijoon slapped his arms. All of Wonwoo’s friends were oblivious to the couple squabbling. “Calm down, will you?! He’s with Joheun, he won’t talk to us.” Kijoon continued to bat on his chest, “Kijoon, you have to get over this!” She stopped to look up at his face,

“No. I don’t want to see him!” Wonwoo rolled his eyes taking more hits from Kijoon’s small fists. “I want to go home,” Kijoon said finishing her hits on Wonwoo and crossing her arms. Her toes tapped impatiently, “Now Wonwoo, I want to go home now.” Wonwoo raised an eyebrow,

“Then you go home, Mingyu’s not affecting us so why should I leave?” Kijoon’s jaw dropped to the ground,

“You’re going to just let me go home alone?” Wonwoo nodded seeing no problem with the situation. Kijoon shook her head in disbelief, “I hate your stupid parties.” She yelled catching everyone’s attention and running away.

“Whoa, whoa, whoa.” Mingyu’s familiar voice hushed Kijoon’s pouting noises. “What’s going on?” He said facing her to him. He tilted her head up to see her clearly,

“Don’t touch me,” She spat shoving him off. Mingyu grabbed onto her arm again,

“If you’re leaving because of me, I’ll leave instead.” He said ignoring Joheun off to the side who clearly did not want to leave. “Wonwoo,” Mingyu said tilting his head for his friend to take his girlfriend back.

“No, I want to go home,” Kijoon protested backing away from the two. She stormed out the door leaving the party at a standstill. Wonwoo gave Mingyu a small nod and Mingyu followed her out the door.

At first, Mingyu just paced behind Kijoon giving her the space she needed. Kijoon didn’t even notice she was being followed by him. Mingyu could hear her whimper on the edge of tears. “You cry so much” he muttered to himself watching her turn the opposite way from her house. He trailed behind confused. Kijoon turned into the local park and sat down on a flat of grass that looked to be worn.

Mingyu scanned his surroundings. He bent down and felt the dew drop covered grass under his feet. All around was black and made it hard for Mingyu to decipher where he actually was, but it was familiar. Kijoon sat down feeling the wet grass. She slowly lay back spreading out her whole body.

There was some sort of desperate hum coming from her sealed lips that Mingyu couldn’t ignore. It was sad and weary, and only told Mingyu to come closer. He stood above Kijoon. Her eyes were closed and just along the rim of their lids Mingyu could see the remains of tears that threatened to fall. He took a seat on the grass beside her. His eyes took a minute to adjust when a lamp flickered on beside them.

“Why are you here?” Kijoon groaned seeing his shadow through her closed eyelids.

“Why shouldn’t I?” Her eyes flashed open at the sound of Mingyu’s voice and not Wonwoo’s.

“Go away.” She sat up brushing herself off.

Mingyu fussed around like Kijoon would have if the positions were switched. “Don’t be upset with me.” He whined, “I have reasons for everything.” Kijoon looked over at him sarcastically.

“Oh yeah, try me. Why Joheun? Of all girls? After everything we’ve been through with her and how she treated ME, your best friend.” Mingyu gave a small annoyed smile to his lap shaking his head. He let out one single chuckle looking sideways at Kijoon. His tongue slid across the bottom of his top row of teeth.

“You want to know the truth?” Kijoon nodded aggressively. Mingyu gave off some sick laugh. “Do you know how much I love you?” Kijoon was still, she stared at Mingyu thinking this was some kind of joke. “Do you know how jealous I get watching you with Wonwoo? Let me tell you something, it’s a lot. Every day at school you two are together and I sit back and third-wheel the whole lunch. You stopped texting me because you were too busy with Wonwoo, you stopped hugging and kissing me because you were afraid Wonwoo would get jealous or upset, you stopped being yourself with me to the point where we stopped talking.”

Mingyu was getting frustrated yelling in front of himself rather than at Kijoon. “You don’t understand what it’s like to actually be heartbroken because you’ve always had Wonwoo or I around to love you. There’s no way for you to feel how I do right now. It’s a horrible feeling. It’s like all your nightmares are supped up into one big dream that happens to be your reality.” Kijoon shuddered putting it in a dream perspective.

“I cried every time I was alone for two weeks straight. I cried because I missed you, because I had lost you, because you didn’t love me back. I didn’t want you to be unhappy because I was so I went away. I left you and Wonwoo alone. Then Joheun started talking to me. I was so hopped up on trying to get over you that I started finding bits and pieces of your personality in her that she really doesn’t have. But I still continue to see you in her because you two were best friends. It’s like I’m trying to change her into you because she’s similar.”

The face Kijoon made hearing those words is one Mingyu will never forget. It was like he had just ripped out her heart and stomped on it. Mingyu shrunk in size feeling guilty for his words. “That’s why I started dating her. Because of you. Because I love you and for the life of me I cannot get over you. But you love Wonwoo and there’s nothing either of us can do about that.” Kijoon’s bottom lip quivered, she pulled it between her teeth so she wouldn’t start crying again. “Here I’ll take you home.” Mingyu said standing up awkwardly.

Kijoon shook her head taking his hand up. “I think I need to go back to that party and say something to Wonwoo.” He nodded walking her back two blocks to the house. The pair scavenged the house for their partners. “Have you seen Wonwoo?” Kijoon asked the seventh person she encountered. They shook their head until someone called behind her.

“I saw him walk upstairs.” Kijoon nodded her head in thanks walking upstairs with Mingyu. Carefully she knocked on doors opening them to find sleeping teenagers. She walked up to the final door down the hall praying that Wonwoo or Joheun would be there so the problem of the night would be resolved.

“Wonwoo?” She questioned opening the door. Wonwoo was in there alright. With his shirt off and Joheun on top of him while Heejoo was spread along the other side of the bed.


A/N: I decided I'd update today because tomorrow I'll be packing and such. Bye Bye for a week!

Happy Reading, Ship on

-Aurelia