Ch7: Back on Track

Between Me and You

Kijoon slammed her hand down on her stereo. Tears pricked the back of her eyes. She shook her head pushing some over the edge. She wiped them away returning to her bed.

The only thing Kijoon could think of was how heartbroken she was that night. She spent the whole night curled up in bed ignoring messages from Wonwoo. That was the end of their relationship. Kijoon wasn’t open to listen to Wonwoo's excuses. Then she met Mingyu.

Mingyu made Kijoon happy. He had been an acquaintance for a long time but it wasn’t until her relationship with Wonwoo ended that she really started a friendship. Kijoon told Mingyu everything except for her relationship with Wonwoo. She was too embarrassed that she was taken advantage of that she couldn't bring herself to tell him. Mingyu carried on being her best friend through everything.

Kijoon liked Mingyu. She liked him a lot. Her feeling started when he helped her with a constant family problem.

"My sister said my parents were disappointed I didn’t take my grade five exam." Kijoon's voice cried three octaves higher than her normal speaking voice. "They always look down on me because Hana goes to the music school and plays the violin and the piano and sings." Kijoon dug the palm of her right hand holding the phone to her ear.

She could hear Mingyu breathe deeply on the other end of the line. "Don’t let it get to you. Did you fight with her before she said those things?" Kijoon mumbled a response. "Well she could’ve just been in the moment. Your parents love you; I'd like to think they wouldn’t say those things about their own child."

Kijoon sniffled. "Can you meet me in the lobby so I can get out of my house? I don’t want to be stuck here like this. I need air." Mingyu agreed hanging up the phone.

They found each other and Kijoon buried herself in Mingyu's chest. She cried a little wiping away her tears quickly. "Let's go," Mingyu whispered steering her in the right direction. They spent the whole day sitting in a reserved section of the local park talking.

Kijoon sat in Mingyu's lap playing with her hands. This was the first time they had ever been this close. Mingyu rest his chin on the top of Kijoon's head.

That was the first time for a lot of things. First secret, first serious conversation, first intimate hug, even the first time Kijoon kissed Mingyu's cheek.

Wonwoo finally rejoined the picture three months after their break up.

"Kijoon listen. Just listen, let me explain." Kijoon gritted her teeth walking away down the hall towards her next class.

"Tell it to someone who cares," she yelled back. Wonwoo took hold of her wrist and backed her in between two sets of lockers.

"You care Kijoon. Don’t tell me you don’t." Kijoon opened slightly wide eyed. "Listen to me. For five minutes, just don’t say anything. Just listen."

"I need to go to class." Kijoon brushed Wonwoo's arm from her shoulder.

"No, you need to stay here and listen to me. Five minutes Kijoon." when he saw Kijoon settle down and stop fighting back he took a breath. "That girl you saw three months ago was Heejoo. She was drunk Kijoon. Drunk to the point she couldn’t stand properly. I was gone because I was helping her but she confessed. I liked her before we got together. But when we started dating my feelings for her went away."

Kijoon shuddered a breath. Wonwoo let go of her shoulder. She stood where she was placed. "You can go. I just want you to know I didn’t cheat on you. I didn’t- no I don’t have feelings for her." Kijoon stood speechlessly staring at Wonwoo. "You're the only thing I worry about. I just can’t let you ignore me and be mad at me. If we can’t get back together then can we be friends?" Kijoon gave a small nod.

"I’m going to class." she said quietly walking away.

Kijoon buried her head into her pillow and covered her head. She groaned falling to sleep.

---

The hustle if the new school year pulling Kijoon in quickly. She wandered around the school looking for her classes. “316. 316.” She chanted to herself skipping steps to the third floor. “Ahh 316” Kijoon pointed to the door down the hall.

“You have math now? My class is down the hall.” Kijoon was enclosed in two long arms. Mingyu kissed her cheek greeting her. “Thanks for coming to see me on the first day of school” Mingyu said sarcastically letting go of Kijoon so she could turn around.

“I’ve been occupied!” She laughed waving around her course sheet. “I still don’t know all of the school, like where is the music department? I have that next” Mingyu spun 180 degrees pointing down the hall.

“If you follow those stairs, go down, take a left, and follow it to the end past the tech wing.” Kijoon rolled her eyes. Of course Mingyu would know where her classes would be better than herself.

“I’m going to math.” Kijoon spun on her heels and stalked away quickly. Mingyu ran from behind her, “Mingyu stop I have to go to class.” Hollered Kijoon as Mingyu stepped in front of her blocking her way.

“Mmm,” He whined pressing his lips together. He pointed with his index finger to his lips.

“Mingyu,” Kijoon whined back, “Not at school. Wonwoo...” Kijoon covered his mouth with her hand.

Mingyu held her hands away from his mouth, “Just today! Not any other days. Just one.” Kijoon wiggled her lips back and forth thinking. Mingyu’s hands held her cheeks. “Just one,” He said moving in close. Kijoon accepted that Mingyu was not going to leave her alone until he received this kiss. She closed her eyes feeling Mingyu’s lips meet hers. He smiled into the kiss feeling that she wasn’t going to protest like normal. Mingyu’s right hand slipped down to her neck pulling her closer. The bell interrupted Mingyu’s moment with Kijoon. She backed away and smiled,

“Go to class.” She pushed him down the hall before running to her class.