Ch31: Making it Difficult for Myself

Between Me and You

“Kijoon? What brings you out here?” Kyungjoo smiled coming to her table.

“I think I could ask you the same thing,” She replied pointing to the apron wrapped around his waist.

“Ahh, I live at my dad’s during the school year and he lives out here and wanted me to get a job. Doesn’t pay as much as working in the city does, but it’s something.” Kijoon smiled politely putting her hands in her lap. “You’re my last table for today, would you mind if I had breakfast with you?” Kijoon shook her head.

“I actually didn’t know what to order and was going to ask the waiter.” She teased making Kyungjoo laugh.

“I’ll bring us something for the both of us. Drink?” Kijoon pointed to the jug of water already sitting on the table, “Suit yourself.” He joked heading off to the kitchen.

The restaurant was generally quiet in Kijoon’s opinion. It wasn’t very fast food like, but it wasn’t off the top elegant. Kijoon crossed her legs up on her seat, doodling on the paper kids menu she stole off the front desk. Before she knew it Kyungjoo was back with an empty cup, “The chef said he’d bring the food out when he’s done.” He said sitting across from her. “How have you been?” Kyungjoo asked looking down at Kijoon’s colouring.

Embarrassed Kijoon slipped the kids menu under her napkin. “Not so good, but you don’t really want to hear about it. Trust me.” Kyungjoo nodded,

“Already heard it all. I am Joheun’s brother remember. She excessively es about her life and makes sure I’m in the room to hear about it.” Kijoon snickered slightly at Kyungjoo’s misfortune. “Don’t laugh” He said flicking her on the head. Kijoon’s hand fled to her forehead scrunching her whole face in the process. “She’s all upset at home right now because some guy dumped her.”

“Mingyu.” Kijoon answered non-chantingly.

“Really?”  Kyungjoo sounded almost surprised, “I thought he always had a thing for you.” Kyungjoo’s whole face read confusion. Kijoon saw this and decided to elaborate,

“Well he does. Sorta. It’s hard to explain.” Kyungjoo pressed her for more information. “I broke up with him just about two months ago because I had feelings for Wonwoo, then Wonwoo and I got together. Mingyu still had feelings for me though and tried to get rid of them by dating other people. He ended up liking your sister and I was not okay with that because ...” Kijoon paused,

“Oh, I know what happened. I did not support her in any of that. If it counts I think I hate her as much as you do.” Kyungjoo folded his hands under his chin motioning her to continue.

“Well yeah, she wasn’t very nice to me so I told Mingyu he had to choose between her and me. He chose her. We stopped talking, our lives continued, then Wonwoo decided to be a big idiot and invite me to a party he knew Mingyu and Joheun would be attending. I ended up pissed off and Mingyu followed me out confessing his feelings again.” Kyungjoo nodded his head in pace with Kijoon’s words,

“Sounds intense. Joheun’s been too busy crying to tell me much that happened this weekend”

“Oh I’m not even done!” Kijoon said on a venting rampage. “I accepted what he had to say and we headed back for the party when we found your sister all over my boyfriend. Let’s just say I was not very happy. There was screaming and crying. Then the three of us, Mingyu, Wonwoo, and I left. I had a talk with Mingyu and we realized that it really was Joheun’s fault we were in this mess and I forgave Wonwoo then stayed at his house.” Her hands were up in the air explaining things a million words per second.

Kyungjoo’s eyes felt like they were about to pop out from his head. He was receiving information faster than he could comprehend. He opened his mouth to talk but Kijoon cut him off continuing, “Then today we went to Mingyu’s house and he was all upset because of what happened with Joheun and I didn’t know what to do so when we left I just started walking, and I continued walking until I got here.” Kijoon panted slightly out of breath from her fast rant. Kyungjoo waited to see if she was going to continue on.

“Wow, you talk faster than my sister.” He mocked easing Kijoon’s mood. “Where does that put you?”

Kijoon hung her head slightly shrugging her shoulders and mumbling ‘I don’t know’. The chef scurried quickly out of the kitchen dropping their plates at the table and leaving. Kijoon stabbed the pasta she’d been given with her fork and grumpily shoved it in . She began talking covering since she still had food in . “I’m with Wonwoo now, and he loves me, but Mingyu loves me too and I don’t want to hurt him anymore.”

Kyungjoo swallowed down a large amount of his food. “Well, who do you love?” He asked picking up his cup and washing the taste from his mouth. Kijoon paused pushing her pasta around in the excess sauce.

“Wonwoo,” She said after a couple seconds seeing the glint of her necklace in her peripheral vision, “Yes, Wonwoo. It can’t be anyone else.” She nodded to herself eating more of her pasta. Kyungjoo’s head tilted watching Kijoon reassure herself of her decision.

“Are you sure?” He asked slowly. “You don’t seem so sure.” Kijoon swallowed awkwardly looking at him.

“What do you mean?” Kijoon coward away slightly. She didn’t like the feeling in her stomach that Kyungjoo gave her asking those words.

“You hesitated. You thought about loving Mingyu instead of jumping straight to loving Wonwoo. There’s something that you feel for Mingyu.” Kyungjoo analyzed the situation, “It might not be much, but it’s something. Do you love Wonwoo?” Kijoon nodded her head. “Then tell me why.”

Kijoon looked down into her lap trying to summarize how she felt. “That feeling you get on a rollercoaster, you know? When you go up to the very top and plummet down really fast. It feels like your stomach is levelled with your heart and you can’t breathe or talk or scream. You just sit there feeling the wind through your hair, feeling every piece of skin you have being attacked by cold air and letting yourself do for the short time you have on the ride.

That’s why I love him. He is my rollercoaster. Constantly we go through ups and downs but it’s always worth it because of that feeling you get in the pit of your stomach that rises up and takes you whole. I don’t think I ever want that ride to end.”

Kyungjoo stopped what he was doing and just stared. He just witnessed Kijoon at one of her weakest most fragile states and he was about to make it horrible. “Then why do you love Mingyu?”

Kijoon froze, her happy moment morphed back into her emotion full attitude. “I just told you, I love Wonwoo.” Kyungjoo nodded his head,

“Yes, I understand that. But say you love Mingyu, why would you love him? What would he be to you?” Kijoon eyed him suspiciously.

“I don’t know. Mingyu has always been there for me. I guess I would relate him to a butterfly. Beauty and all. Butterflies are special, in my opinion. They were given big beautiful wings that can be used for anything. The sun rays will pour down one day and you’ll see that their colour shows radiantly and you’ll do nothing but smile and enjoy the things it does for you or how it makes you feel. Other days it will rain and those wings will protect you from the large water droplets and scare off the foes that try to catch you when you are most vulnerable.

Butterflies will fly and drift in the wind like a fairytale. They will take you places you’ve never been, seen things you’ve never seen. They will fly away when they see is best, but will always return because they have found the best nectar filled flowers.” Kijoon stopped realizing what she was saying, “Just... like... Mingyu.”

Kyungjoo didn’t wear a smile anymore. His frown stood proudly on his face. Kijoon felt her eyes get wet, “I love both of them.” She just barely whispered.