Ch23: Our Messy Relationship

Between Me and You

Wonwoo was bright and cheery handing Kijoon and ice cream sandwich. Kijoon tried her hardest to smile but she kept thinking about Joheun.

“Call me again tonight?” She giggled happily. Wonwoo just stood with a cold hard expression on his face. “I know you had fun last night.” She smirked leaving with her small troop following after her.

Kijoon shook her head taking a small bit from her ice cream. Wonwoo reached over to his phone putting it in his pocket without looking twice at it. He took his second bite into his ice cream practically taking the whole thing in his mouth. "What is Joheun to you?" Kijoon blurted out without thinking.

Wonwoo thought he was going to choke; he hit his chest swallowing his ice cream down. He moaned feeling the icy substance glide down his esophagus. "What- What do you mean?" he coughed.

Kijoon pulled her knees up to her chest trying not to seem angry, "What is she to you? A friend?"

"No, no. No she's not. I don’t like her at all." Kijoon tilt her head. Wonwoo felt his phone vibrating in his pocket. He bit his bottom lip and whispered, "Really? Great timing." his ringtone started to sound and Kijoon raised her eyebrows.

"You should answer her." She bit angrily standing up and starting to walk away. Wonwoo let his phone ring standing up to chase her.

"Kijoon, get back here." he yelled pulling her arm. He whipped her around to face him. "Don’t you dare leave me again." Kijoon laughed,

"I was on the phone with her Wonwoo. She more than nothing to you if you were going to go meet her today." Kijoon ripped his hand from her arm. "To think I tried so hard to get you back." Wonwoo grabbed her by her waist pulling her back to him.

Frantically Kijoon fought his arms back "Let go of me! I don’t want to talk to you right now!" she bellowed hitting his forearms.

Wonwoo spun her around once again and pressed her close to his body. "Kijoon." he said in between hits to the chest that were not impacting him. "Kijoon!" he pinched her jaw in his right hand, "Look at me." he said squeezing her. "I talked to her once four days ago because I was upset with you. Remember? When you decided to break up on your own?" He could feel Kijoon's clenched jaw with his fingers. "I'll get rid of her now if you stay."

Kijoon crossed her arms agreeing with his proposal. Wonwoo continued to hold Kijoon's arm slipping his free hand into his pocket. He pulled out his ringing phone sliding the answer button. "Joheun?" Kijoon could hear the girl's voice cheery happily.

"Wonwoo! Are you with Kijoon?" Her voice quickly changed from happy to an aggressive tone, "What happened to us?" Wonwoo pulled a confused expression watching Kijoon in case she was to run off.

"There was nothing between us. I needed to blow off steam so I told you about Kijoon. That’s all that was, Joheun. We're nothing together." Wonwoo eased his hand from around Kijoon's arm. Kijoon sat on the ground bringing Wonwoo with her. "I'm with Kijoon and I need you to leave me alone."

No response came from the other end of line; just a simple click and Wonwoo acknowledged that Joheun had hung up. He dropped his phone on the ground beside him. "Done. She’s gone; I won’t talk to her again." Kijoon forced herself into a straight face. Wonwoo lifted her slightly pulling her into his lap and putting his head on her back. "Are you mad at me?" Kijoon sat quietly. Wonwoo stuck his head beside hers.

Hot breath swirled around the cuff of Kijoon's ear. She flinched her shoulder towards her ear slightly. "Are you jealous?" he whispered closing his arms tighter around Kijoon's waist. Kijoon hesitated to look at Wonwoo.

She stuck out her tongue. "So you were." Wonwoo laughed. Kijoon turned in his lap straddling his waist. "Don’t ever leave me again unless it’s some reason we can both agree on."

Kijoon kinked her head sideways. "And those would be?" Wonwoo looked to the top right corner.

"If you don’t love me. That’s the only reason." Kijoon shook her head smiling hugging Wonwoo until he fell back onto the grass.