Ch30: Losing You Twice

Between Me and You

Kijoon woke up to the sound of her phone's ringtone going off like no tomorrow. She tilted her head up regretting the decision as she found Wonwoo's jaw clunking against her skull. "Ahh." she winced squeezing an arm away from his waist and holding the top of her head.

"Kijoon, turn it off~" Wonwoo whined sleepily rolling over. Kijoon reached over top of his grabbing her phone and pressing it to her ear.

"Mom? Mmm yeah we didn’t want to wake you so I spent the night at Wonwoo's." Wonwoo was fluttered his eyes open to see Kijoon's body hovering over his face. He was looking up at a fraction of her bare stomach since her oversized shirt was folded up slightly. Her slightly chubby stomach stuck out making him smile. "Yeah I'll be home for dinner I promise." Kijoon sat back on her knees nodding with her responses. Wonwoo pulled her down over top of him in a not so gentle matter. She let out a small grunt trying to make it unnoticeable to her mother. "Mm okay, bye."

Wonwoo hugged Kijoon's waist happy to have her back in his arms. It didn’t take Kijoon long to roll over and bury herself in pillow and blankets. Whereas Wonwoo was completely okay with going back to how their relationship was, Kijoon was showing signs of discomfort and hesitation. She wanted to be close with Wonwoo again that’s why she slept with him, but something didn’t feel right the next morning.

Wonwoo left Kijoon believing that she was just tired. He let her be since it was a Saturday morning. He assumes she wasn’t used to being up this early, Wonwoo checked his clock, at 9 o’clock. He lay back down seeing only bits and chunks of Kijoon's brown hair poke past the comforter. "Morning Joonie~" he sang trying to wake her up.

When Kijoon didn’t wake or acknowledge Wonwoo she was upset. "Joonie," he chimed again, this time in a more solemn tone. "Joonie, what’s wrong?" he lay one hand on top of her side over the blanket. "Is it about yesterday?" she grunted negatively. Wonwoo sighed loudly, "We should check on Mingyu today. That is if you want too."

Kijoon showed her head from under the covers. Her hair was a tangled mess hanging over her face, "I want to see Mingyu." she said quickly pulling herself up and holding the blanket around herself. "I need to talk to him." Wonwoo smiled finally getting a proper response.

"Then get ready and let’s go." Wonwoo laughed changing into proper clothes.

---

"Mingyu!" Wonwoo yelled banging on his front door. Music blared from the inside of Mingyu’s house. “Mingyu!” Wonwoo yelled again hearing the music come to a sudden halt. The sound of footsteps running towards the door signalled Wonwoo and Kijoon to take a step back. The door swung open revealing a sweaty shirtless Mingyu.

“Oh, hey?” He said letting them in. His house was hot and moist, but very clean. “What are you two doing here?” He asked cleaning up some cleaning supplies in the corner of his living room.

“We came to check how you’re holding up. What in the world had you been doing?” Wonwoo asked bluntly fanning himself with his shirt. He flopped onto the couch.

“Cleaning. My parents went out for the weekend so I thought I’d clean up while they are gone.” Mingyu answered heaving a couple breathes and laying his body out on the cold tiled floor.

Kijoon knew Mingyu enough to see what was going on. As much as Mingyu was a clean organized person, he didn’t clean. Not just to help out his parents. Mingyu had some sort of weird habit. When he was upset, he tried to perfect everything around him. As if he had to do things to make up for the faults he’d done or flaws that were becoming obstacles in his way.

Wonwoo nodded oblivious to Mingyu’s weird behaviour. “What happened with Joheun?” He asked looking down at his friend. Kijoon sat in the common ground between them watching Mingyu’s chest rise and fall with his deep tired breaths.

“Broke up with her.” He respired. “I can’t believe she did that to me. I accepted everything that happened with her in the past. I even stopped talking to you guys for her.” Kijoon could hear a little break in Mingyu’s voice. “Which I never should’ve done.” Mingyu rolled onto his stomach resting his head on its side. Wonwoo smiled to himself,

“You did what you had to do.” He said supporting Mingyu. Kijoon could feel her insides knot a million times. Her heart ached for Mingyu. “You okay?”

Mingyu nodded closing his eyes. “Just tired. I’ve been cleaning for two hours already.” Wonwoo gawked hanging his jaw.

“That’s a long time. I never clean” His phone vibrated in his pocket, “Ahh, hang on a sec it’s my mom.” Wonwoo groaned walking out of the room. “Hello?” Kijoon laughed slightly hearing the voice on the other end of the line.

“Jeon Wonwoo, who was in your bed last night?! I’m almost certain you do no wear pink hair elastics!”

Wonwoo whined annoyed, “Mom~ Kijoon was over last night, I didn’t want her to walk home by herself so she stayed over.” He walked farther from Mingyu and Kijoon until they couldn’t hear his voice.

Mingyu raised a teasing eyebrow at Kijoon, “Nothing happened, stupid.” She answered defensively. “I didn’t want him to sleep on the couch in his own house.” Mingyu laughed quietly digging his head into his arms. “I know you aren’t okay.” Kijoon said in more of a serious tone. “When do you ever clean for fun?” Mingyu exhaled looking at Kijoon.

“Losing Joheun was like losing you again.” His eyes were moist with tears, which Kijoon had never seen before. Her whole body tightened up. It was like she could feel how fragile of a stare Mingyu was in at that very moment. He blinked the tears away putting on a little smile, “I’ll be alright though. Are you and Wonwoo back to being a happy couple?” Kijoon shrugged nodding her head slightly.

“Back to normal, I guess.” Mingyu congratulated her while Wonwoo came back into the room.

“Guys, I have to go.” He griped, “My mom grounded me for ‘back sassing’ her.” The two others laughed sitting up, “I’d take you home Kijoon but if I go home any later than I already am, I think she’ll double it.” Kijoon nodded standing up,

“I should get going too. I need to do something before I go home.” Wonwoo wrapped his arm around Kijoon inviting Mingyu to stand up with them. Mingyu offered to walk with Kijoon but she refused politely, “I’ll be fine. If anything happens I’ll text you.” He nodded and sent them on their way out.

Wonwoo walked with Kijoon to the end of Mingyu’s street, “I want to bring you on a makeup date. A real date, since our past few have not gone so well.” Kijoon nodded quietly, “Next weekend though because I’m grounded until then. I promise it will be a nice one.” He said holding Kijoon close.

The way he kissed her before saying goodbye was different then Kijoon remembered. It said different things than before, and it didn’t feel anything close to the same. Wonwoo was usually forceful but affectionate with his kisses. He would kiss her in a way as if to make sure the kiss would linger on her lips after he left. But this kiss was more than that. It had an over powering sense. His lips were moulded into Kijoon’s and she could feel every “I’m sorry” he said put onto her. She felt like a great load was lifted of her shoulders and everything bad was finally gone.

Wonwoo pulled away kissing her forehead gentle and waving good bye with a smile. Kijoon stood in her same place for a moment with her hand up to her lips. She didn’t know what was coming over her but she wanted to cry. She couldn’t tell if it was from happiness or sadness, she just wanted to.

Before she knew it Kijoon was walking along the outskirts of town. She only wanted to be alone that’s why she had told Mingyu and Wonwoo to leave her be. She stepped on foot in front of the other balancing on the curb at the side of the road. Where she was there were not many people around. It seemed to be more countryside.

Houses were spread far out from each other and some properties had farm animals grazing on the vivid green grass. A small droplet of water fell onto Kijoon’s hand as she swung it at her side. She stopped looking down then up at the sky to see hundreds to thousands of little droplets hurdling themselves towards her. She covered her head scurrying into the nearest restaurant.

The smell of fresh pizza filled Kijoon’s nose while she flattened down her hair. Her stomach growled at the aroma as she walked to the front desk asking for a table. A little too happily the waiter brought her to a small round table in the corner of the restaurant. “Your server will be right with you.” She smiled putting down a jug of water and a cup then handed Kijoon a menu.

Kijoon smiled back politely slightly creeped out by the pep that the waiter possessed. Kijoon sad quietly waiting for a server to come. She saw the previous waiter point a man to the table, but his back was faced towards her. When he turned Kijoon tilted her head with a small smile, “Kyungjoo? You work here?”