Ch29: Talk About, "I Love You"

Between Me and You

Faster than Kijoon thought she could ever move, she was pushing Joheun off the bed and screaming. “What the hell is going on?!” Exasperated she asked her question to everyone in the room. Joheun gnarled propping herself up from the ground. Wonwoo scrambled to his feet grabbing his girlfriend’s arms. Kijoon threw him off, “Is this why you wanted me to leave? Why you wouldn’t take me home?” Wonwoo shook his head, couldn’t fit any word of explanation between Kijoon’s barks.

Mingyu stared across the room at his own girlfriend who was too entranced by Wonwoo to realize he was there. He could hear Kijoon’s excessive screaming but wasn’t making any sense of what she was saying. Slowly his eyes left Joheun to look at Kijoon stomp her feet and screech. He pulled her back away from Wonwoo so she wouldn’t do something she regretted. “This is just like last time! The same girl’s even in the room!” Kijoon shouted dodging around Mingyu and pointing to Heejoo passed out on the bed. “Do I want to even know what happened with her?”

Mingyu hushed her with a stern look, “No, I have some things to say to him. I’m not going to let him get away with all his stupidity.” Mingyu continued looking at Kijoon until she started to calm herself down. Her arms crossed and lips sneered at him.

“What are you doing?” He asked calmly turning to Joheun first,

“Mingyu, I swear she was-“

“I’m not asking you.” He snapped at Wonwoo. Mingyu had his hand up to have him stop talking. Joheun sat on her knees in the corner tears forming in her eyes.

“You don’t love me.” She cried. “So why should I love you.” Her crying turned bitter quickly, “All the time you talk about missing Kijoon even if it’s just because you haven’t talked to her. How am I supposed to feel?” Mingyu kept his eyes away from Wonwoo and Kijoon knowing he was being stared at. “If you didn’t like me you should have just told me, but not you lead me on to like you.” Mingyu hung his head slightly,

“What does that have to do with Wonwoo? Why were you on him? What happened?” He asked ignoring her sobbing. Joheun didn’t answer; she just continued to cry to herself. Then Mingyu turned to Wonwoo, “And your side of the story?” He asked. Kijoon scoffed behind him shaking her head.

Wonwoo hesitated to take a step closer, “Heejoo is drunk. She was throwing herself around so Joheun thought it would be a good idea to get her somewhere she wouldn’t hurt herself or cause problem, maybe even get rest.” He spoke to Mingyu but his eyes never left Kijoon’s side profile, “We carried her up here without noticing that she had alcohol all over her shirt. It got onto mine so I took it off.” He raised his hand pointing to his shirt sitting on the end of the bed, “After Joheun and I took care of Heejoo I was going to find Kijoon.”

Both boys looked back to see if Kijoon was listening. She stared down at the ground, but didn’t bother to turn when Wonwoo stopped talking. All they heard was the thumping of music downstairs and Joheun’s pathetic cries in the corner. “Joheun jumped on me Mingyu. I swear by it.” Joheun wailed louder in the corner receiving no attention, “I told her I was going to leave and he backed me up against the bed and came on top of me. That’s when you came in.” Wonwoo’s voice was sincere and Mingyu truly believed him.

“Liar!” Joheun squawked through salty tears, “Mingyu he’s lying!” She jumped onto her feet coming closer to Mingyu. Her hands found Mingyu’s cheeks brushing them with her tear covered thumbs. “Mingyu, baby, listen. He took advantage of me. I told him no but he kept coming. You left with Kijoon what was I supposed to do? Mingyu he said you didn’t have to know, he sai-“ Wonwoo intercepted Joheun’s monologue keeping her a safe distance from Mingyu who was wide eyed from the information he was receiving.

Mingyu flipped his head from Wonwoo to Joheun, “Mingyu, I love you, but you left me to go be with her tonight. I felt so alone.” Joheun cried falling to her knees again. Mingyu looked at Wonwoo who had a look of anguish on his face. His eyes were begging for Mingyu to believe him.

“Let’s take Kijoon home. I think you two have a couple things to talk about.” Mingyu nodded gesturing Wonwoo with his hand. Joheun cried out his name watching him leave the room.

---

Kijoon refused to talk to Wonwoo. She couldn’t put the two stories in her head together. Who would she believe? Wonwoo was her boyfriend she put her trust in him, but this was a reoccurring issue that she wasn’t ready to face. On the other hand Joheun was her friend (not that she was anymore) would she really lie about something like this?

It was frustrating for her to think about. Kijoon was scared that she had lost Wonwoo again, she didn’t want to but everything was getting to her.

“Wonwoo, you stay out here for a bit.” Mingyu whispered after Kijoon shuffled into her room. The house was quiet and there was no doubt in his mind that Kijoon’s family was sleeping. Wonwoo sluggishly walked to the living room sitting on the couch while Mingyu walked into Kijoon’s room closing the door behind him.

Kijoon sat in the corner of her room between her bed and her side table with her knees hugged up to her chest. “Are you okay?” Mingyu asked in more of a normal concerned tone than his whispers earlier. He rubbed Kijoon’s arm sitting in front of her and comforting her.

Her eyes were tired. They looked almost black because of the dim lighting around them, but Mingyu could also tell that the happiness he noticed at the party from a distance was gone. “I don’t want to fight. I don’t want to be angry.” She mumbled rolling her head along the top of her mattress. She looked down at her right hand which had his faded gift still imprinted, “I don’t want to cry, or deal with these problems.” Mingyu listened well to what she was saying. “I don’t think I love him.”

Mingyu disagreed, “You do. I can tell. Think about how often you fight and say that, but you still take him back and vice versa.” He pointed to the necklace hanging around her neck. “If you didn’t, you wouldn’t wear that. I know when you get lonely you hang onto it and think about him. I have yet to see you take it off.” Kijoon looked down at the small round locket. “You wear it because you love him, admit it. You’ll never take it off because if you take it off it’s like you have lost him.”

Kijoon closed her eyes. Her head with throbbing and she just wanted to go to bed. “I believe Wonwoo’s side of the story. He would never do something that would lead to losing you again.” Kijoon didn’t respond, “Now if you don’t mind, I think I have a couple things to sort out with Joheun.”

Kijoon walked Mingyu to the door. She stood in her doorway at Wonwoo who was almost passed out with his head in his hands. Mingyu left quietly while Kijoon sat on the couch beside Wonwoo. The elevation in the couch’s cushions startled his awake. He blinked rapidly with small purple and blue dots clouding his eyesight. “I’ll walk you home.” Kijoon said bringing him to his feet.

Their walk for the most part was quiet. Until Wonwoo’s curiosity caught up with him, “Do you believe me?” He asked stepping over the cracks in the sidewalk. Kijoon hummed a positive answer. “Why?” He asked pushing his hands into his pockets.

“The last time this happened the same girl was there drunk until she couldn’t speak. You explained to me what happened and didn’t talk to her again. This time she laid drunk on the bed the same was she did before, and it just happens that a girl I know has feelings for you was there as well. You told me the truth last time, why shouldn’t I believe you now? Joheun only made me believe you more with her obvious fake story.” Kijoon’s voice sounded like it had the hint of a laugh in it, but her face was stone. “Is there a reason I shouldn’t believe you?”

Wonwoo shook his head, “You just didn’t believe me then, I was wondering what made you believe me now.” Kijoon nodded,

“Mingyu. He told me you loved me.” They turned into Wonwoo’s drive way walking up to his door,

“That’s because I do.” Kijoon gave a small smiled that didn’t stay on her face for long. “Do you not believe that?” He asked holding her shoulder and tilting his head to see her face turned to the ground. Kijoon muttered a response, “Then why do you look like you don’t.”

“The only reason I know you love me is because of Mingyu. When have you ever told me?” Kijoon murmured quietly,

“Do I have to?” Wonwoo furrowed his eyebrows, “I assumed you always knew.” Kijoon shrugged attempting to bid goodnight and leave. “Stay over the night.” Wonwoo said holding her back from leaving catching Kijoon’s eyes looking up at him when she faced him. “I don’t want you to be alone.” Kijoon was uncertain about going with him but followed him in anyways.

Their shoes were scrambled in the pile of shoes at the front of the house while Wonwoo held Kijoon’s hand directing her around the house to his room. Wonwoo scavenged through his clothes giving Kijoon an oversized shirt and some pyjama pants that were too small on him to wear. When Kijoon returned Wonwoo smiled having just stripped of his shirt. The set of clothes were still two sizes too big and she looked tinier than ever.

He rest her under the covers pulling blanket from his closet so he could sleep on the couch. Kijoon objected calling for his attention, “Sleep here.” She whispered remembering the bedroom door was open.

Wonwoo started placing the blankets back in order trailing to the edge of the bed, “Are you sure?” He asked bending down to meet her face to face. She nodded moving over so he could join her. “If you don’t want me to stay I’ll leave.” He said lying back on the pillow. Kijoon shook her head,

“Just stay with me.” She rolled over facing him, cuddling into his bare chest. “I want to know you aren’t going to leave me.” Her arms s around his waist keeping his warmth close to hers.

“I’m not going to leave you because I love you.” Wonwoo whispered into her hair pulling the covers over her shoulders. He could feel Kijoon’s eye lashes brush against his skin until they closed. He didn’t know if she was asleep of not but he kept talking. “I don’t know why I love you, honestly. You frustrate me. We fight constantly, but I will never stop coming back to be with you. You make me happy with the little stupid things you do and when you smile I can’t help but smile back. Maybe it’s something that developed all those years ago when we first met. Whatever it is, I’m happy it happened because I don’t know where I’d be without you.” Wonwoo’s hand was lost in the back of Kijoon’s hair. “Kijoon you crazy, stupid, ball of dreams. I love you.”

Kijoon shifted in his arms, “I love you too, .” She smiled to herself hearing Wonwoo laugh quietly. He kissed her forehead and fell asleep.


A/N: I'm baacccccckkkkk!!!! Hello Subbies! How was your week? 

Just a heads up, there will be a lot of drama in the chapters to come seeing as there are ten more left. (Spoiler: Kijoon is waaay too emotional, and can't make up her mind.)