Ch4: I Will Follow.

Between Me and You

"It’s just for a weekend." Kijoon hollered to the phone on speaker.

"But I was hoping this weekend we could just bum around the house. Just the TWO of us." Kijoon rolled her eyes,

"Wonwoo is coming. You have to keep him company or else he's going to die from all the girls. Not to mention Joheun will be all over him." Mingyu cringed spastically.

"Stop bringing him up." he mumbled so Kijoon wouldn't hear.

“Also, Joheun’s older brother is driving with us all. He has to stay the weekend to chaperone. You can get to know him.” Kijoon folded a shirt and placed it at the top of her bag.

"Alright, I’m coming." the line fell silent while Kijoon packed. "Joonie, have you told Wonwoo about us?"

Kijoon stared at her phone. She sat on the bed beside it. "No, not yet." Mingyu's heart sank a little bit. "I'll tell him, if you want me too." Kijoon twiddled her thumbs. "I just haven’t gotten around to it yet."

Static rang through the phone. "Tell him when you feel comfortable. I just think its better he hears from you since you’ve known him longer." Kijoon mumbled a response.

"I have to finish packing. Be here by 11 tomorrow. " Kijoon said before hanging up the phone. She sighed loudly zipping up her bag and flopping on her bed. An unpleasant feeling had set in her stomach telling her she disappointed Mingyu.

---

Mingyu felt rejected. For the past half an hour he’d been at Kijoon's apartment, Kijoon had been running around the house leaving Mingyu to his own devices. It wasn’t until the front desk buzzed to the apartment that Kijoon payed any attention to Mingyu.

Kijoon grabbed Mingyu's hand. "Ready?" Mingyu nodded, hulling his bag over his shoulder and slipping his hand behind Kijoon's back.

"Kijoon!" Joheun's high pitched cheery voice called out. Mingyu snarled slightly. Joheun slid the vans door open revealing three others sitting in the back of the van. Wonwoo waved from the dark corner of the van's back seat.

Kijoon awkwardly pushed Mingyu's hand from her hip and held it behind her back. "You two can sit in the back if you want to stay together. Or else I’m going to have to take that seat beside Wonwoo."

Wonwoo's eyes widened and he shook his head rapidly, "No, no. Joonie come sit with me." The couple stood in silence small grimaces on their faces. Kijoon stared down letting the feeling of eyes watching her cover her body.

“Well?” A deep voice called before they heard the driver’s door slam shut. “I put your stuff in the back, are you actually coming on this trip or are you just going to stand there as we leave?” Kijoon looked up from the ground at Joheun’s older brother.

Kijoon nodded with a small smile that faded quickly. She plopped down in the middle seat, Mingyu taking her side. Wonwoo leaned in breath tickling Kijoon's ear, "Thanks. I would’ve died beside that woman. She won’t leave me alone." he whispered.

Kijoon winced slightly trying not to look over at Mingyu's expression. Mingyu was one to get jealous but not in an aggressive way. He tended to get upset and keep to himself not wanting to concern the people around him. Kijoon rest her hand on Mingyu's leg reassuring him she was there.

“Well ladies and gentle-ahem- I mean boys.” The row of girls giggled at comment. The driver turned around looking at the back seat, “I will be your designated driver for the next 48 hours give or take. My name is Kyungjoo, I am Joheun’s brother. Annoy me and you won’t come home. Let’s Go!” Cheers broke out from the back seat while Joheun flicked her brother on the forehead.

The car ride was long, three hours to be exact. The first hour was spent talking but it didn’t take long for Kijoon to get tired from her 'early' wake. Mingyu couldn’t help the smile on his face when Kijoon sleepily clung to his arm and dozed off on his shoulder.

Wonwoo had fallen asleep against the window his head swaying back and forth. Mingyu glared from the opposite side of the vehicle. He could never dislike Wonwoo, let alone hate him. It was just his incessant desire to be around Kijoon that bugged him. Mingyu rest his head on one arm and started to fall asleep.

The van dipped with the holes in the road. Kijoon blinked her eyes slowly after falling from Mingyu’s shoulder. She couldn’t keep her eyes open for long. Her eyes were heavy and they burned when the light came into contact with her pupils. Kijoon stretched her neck and leaned onto the other side of her head resting on Wonwoo’s shoulder. Her arm looped around his supporting herself.

Wonwoo lifted his head from the window drowsily and smiled petting Kijoon’s hair.  “Cute.” He mumbled before kissing the top of her head and returning back to his position against the window.

---

“Awh look at that.”

“They are so cute.”

“Ah, I wish I was Kijoon.”

Kijoon’s eyes fluttered open from all the commotion. The bright daylight hit her like a tsunami. She groaned and covered her eyes. “You’re up!” Joheun exclaimed clamping both hands down on the seat.  “You and Wonwoo have been asleep for an hour since we arrived!” Kijoon let her hands sit in her lap. She looked to her left and saw that Mingyu was missing. Kijoon put her hand in his seat and looked to her other side. Wonwoo was starting to wake up shaking his arm away from Kijoon’s grasp. “You two are so cute, honestly.”

Kijoon’s cheeks flashed red and she shook her head. “N-no, we’re friends.” Mingyu passed by the van helping Kyungjoo set up some tents. “Mingyu!” Kijoon shoved her way out of the van running to Mingyu’s side, “Let me help you.” She stole poles from Mingyu’s hands and started aligning them with the ones opposite that Kyungjoo was placing on the other side of the flattened tent.

Mingyu found himself watching Kijoon single handily put up tents and assist Kyungjoo with the others. There really was no need for anyone else to help.  Kijoon handled it like a pro trying to pull herself out of every situation that had to do with spending time with Mingyu or Wonwoo.

The group of teenagers found themselves heading to a nearby man made beach. Kijoon sat up on shore letting her friends run ahead into the water. Mingyu sat at her side looking out at the sun as it went down. “You don’t want to go to the water?” Mingyu asked. Kijoon buried her chin in her arms, shaking her head negatively. “Did I do something wrong?” Kijoon shook her head again. “Then what’s wrong.”

“Nothing, I’m just tired, that’s all.” Mingyu nodded,

“Mingyu! Mingyu come swim with us!” The three girls let out a shriek. Kijoon bit back a laugh gesturing him to go on and leave. Mingyu kneeled in front of Kijoon’s face holding her knees with his hands.

“If you don’t want me to leave I’ll stay.” He whispered their faces only an inch away. Kijoon shook her head.

“Mm, go on. I’ll be fine.” She quickly pecked his lips and sent him off.

Mingyu walked down to the water letting it go up to his ankles. He wanted to turn around and sit with Kijoon, maybe ask her what was wrong again. If she would’ve asked him to stay he wouldn’t think twice about it. But when Mingyu looked back he could already see Kyungjoo seated at Kijoon’s side.

“So, which one are you dating?” Kijoon’s eyes widened as she looked at Kyungjoo,

“How’d you know?” Kyungjoo laughed lying back on his elbows.

“Joheun and her little friends giggle and gossip that you’re with that one.” Kyungjoo pointed to Wonwoo who was running away girlishly from a couple girls splashing water. “And every time he and you are mentioned together you seem to get flustered. But then there’s him.” Kyungjoo then drifted his finger to Mingyu who was pacing along the shore. “And he definitely has some sort of feelings for you. He’s always by your side, so I’m just going to guess it’s him.”

Kijoon hid her face slightly. “Wow you’re good.” Kyungjoo smiled and tilted his head,

“But here’s the thing I don’t get.” He turned his whole body to face Kijoon. “You are dating him, but you don’t exactly act like you are.” Kijoon bit her bottom lip watching Mingyu fool around with Wonwoo in the water.

“I’m new to the whole dating thing. I’ve been friends with both of them for so long; I just didn’t want to act differently.” Kyungjoo looked between Kijoon and the boys. Mingyu wrestled Wonwoo around in the sand.

“So you haven’t told Wonwoo. You should do that because it looks like they are good friends.”

Best friends”

“Even more the reason to tell him.” Kijoon huffed knowing that would be the answer. The two of them continued to talk until the sun went down. Together they all walked back to the campsite. Everyone drifted to their tents.

---

Kijoon stared up at the top of her tent she shared with Joheun. She watched the bugs crawl across the top mesh lining until long after everyone was asleep. She couldn’t fall asleep herself. She didn’t know what exactly was keeping her up, but her mind was racing around every thought imaginable. After an hour of pointless tossing and turning in her sleeping bag Kijoon let herself out of the tent.

The air was colder outside the tent then she expected it to be. Kijoon shivered slipping on sneakers and walking down the trail that lead to the beach. She followed along the trail and passed the beach. It was dimly lit by campsite lights the farther she walked. Kijoon’s head was held up high looking into the tops of the tree branches and the sky.

“Can’t sleep?” A familiar voice called out in the blackness not that far behind Kijoon. She held her place turning on her heels, “I heard your footstep.” Wonwoo emerged under the shallow light. “You know there’s animals in this forest? You shouldn’t be walking around alone.”

“Neither should you.” Kijoon smiled,

“On the contraire my lady, I left the comfort of my tent for your safety in my interest.” Wonwoo  waved his hand around. “Why can’t you sleep? What are you thinking about?”

Kijoon continued walking with Wonwoo at her side, “Everything. Do you think I could be an owl in another life? I think that would be realistic.” Wonwoo ran his hand past some tree branches,

“You and I both. I hope if I ever be incarnated in another life, that you are a part of that life, exactly as you are now.” Kijoon slowed her walking pace pulling the collar of her sweater up to cover her chin. “I always go back to that, I hope you know.” Kijoon questioned Wonwoo with her eyes. “I always hope that you will go back to liking me, like you did before. Or at least in another life I have a chance like the one I missed in this one.”