Ch16: When You Hurt, So Do I.

Between Me and You

"How could you let her do this to you?" Mingyu asked bandaging every cut individually. Wonwoo had decided to give the two space but if Kijoon knew him well enough he was sitting on the other side of the door listening to everything.

"Better question, why are you in my house?" Mingyu rolled his eyes,

"I wanted to say sorry for allowing Wonwoo to confront you after we parted, and I wanted to talk about what happens next." he peeled the sixth band aid in a row placing it alongside the others. "Why did Joheun come after you again?" Kijoon heaved a breathe out hissing as Mingyu put rubbing alcohol on her open cut.

"Some jealousy thing about how she 'never gets guys' and how much she likes Wonwoo." Mingyu nodded,

"Wonwoo wouldn’t like her. Too ..." Mingyu searched for the word as if it was written on Kijoon's face, both their minds had the same idea.

"Clingy." they spoke in unison laughing afterwards. Mingyu flattened the last band aid on Kijoon's arm before sitting back and looking at her. She looked as though she had some kind of pigment dysfunction on her skin. Half of her exposed body parts were covered with these porous tan coloured adhesive band aids that showed clear on her milky white skin.

Mingyu sat back against the wall behind him, "So are we going back to friends?" Mingyu wondered out loud without looking up at Kijoon's face. He was too scared he'd have to fight the temptation to kiss her. It had become a force of habit that still hadn't gone away. Kijoon her lips absentmindedly with a smirk and tilted her head,

"Mmm I don’t know, you're kinda boring. I need someone spontaneous!" Mingyu held a hand over his heart acting offended. "Of course Gyu. Back to best friends." Mingyu's heart tightened but he continued to show a small smile.

It wasn’t late into the afternoon yet, but Kijoon was tired beyond belief. She was drifting away while Wonwoo tangled his fingers into her hair. Mingyu sprung a conversation about recent after school events happening at the school. "You should lie down in your bed if you're going to sleep." Wonwoo whispered lowering his head. Kijoon snuggled closer into his chest.

Mingyu watched Wonwoo comb his finger through her hair. That was him three days ago. Kijoon's eye lids fluttered while she slept on Wonwoo's chest. "Here, I'll take her." Mingyu said crouching down and slipping his hand behind her head.

"I can do it." Wonwoo retorted protectively. Mingyu shook his head,

"You're stuck under her. Hold her back we'll bring her together." Wonwoo the front of his teeth helping Mingyu carry Kijoon to her bed. They sat back in her living room closing the door behind them.

Wonwoo thanked Mingyu before sitting down, but Mingyu's acknowledgement wasn’t as friendly as Wonwoo expected it to be. "How could you let that happen?" Mingyu flung his hand up towards the door. "Look at her Wonwoo. Why weren't you with her?"

Wonwoo sat with his mouth hung open. "What do you mean how could I let it happen? I didn’t know what was happening. She said to meet her in front of the school when the buses left. This is not my fault." Mingyu ruffled his hair frustrated.

"Ahh," Mingyu hung his head back on the seat. "I'm just- It’s not me protecting her anymore. You have to be more careful. Especially now that Joheun's decided to turn on her. What is with girls?!" Wonwoo sat across from Mingyu watching his face.

Mingyu was good at faking his emotions, much like Kijoon. Often when he was upset he would laugh and smile during everyday activities but go home to grovel in bed. Wonwoo watched Mingyu's face flick up towards him. Unlike most days bags hung lightly under his eyes and his face was paler. His facial expression must have said something because Mingyu spoke up to Wonwoo. "I'm fine."

Wonwoo's eyes fell from Mingyu's face, "you don’t look okay." he stole a glance threw his long bangs. Mingyu's bloodshot eyes were locked on him.

"Don’t worry about me. You've got enough to deal with." Mingyu referred to the situation they were in.

"This relationship isn’t working." Wonwoo groaned taking his palms to his eyes. "Why can’t I just be like you and do everything right?" Mingyu smiled shyly.

"If I did everything right I'd still be dating her." Mingyu's comment earned a pillow hurdling towards his head. He laughed quietly sure to not wake Kijoon.

Wonwoo pulled his hair back until his hands hid behind his head. "Even while you are upset, you’re a smart ." Mingyu lay on the pillow thrown at him. With the short silence in between shared phrases his smile faded.

The feeling was really settling in now. Mingyu was back to the very beginning. Friends with Kijoon. He hugged the pillow closer to his face. He could smell Kijoon's shampoo from her post shower conversations on the phone with him. He lifted his head pushing the pillow away.

The analog clock installed in the kitchen blinked 4 o’clock. Mingyu stood up walking towards the door. "I have to get home; my parents will be home soon." Wonwoo waved him off and Mingyu closed the door behind him stepping into the elevator. He pressed the lobby button rocking slightly when the vehicle moved.

Mingyu pressed the stop button half way between floor 1 and the lobby. The elevator cart came to a brief stop. He looked at himself alone in the elevator in the reflection off the doors. He covered his face when he felt tears spring his eyes. He had never felt so alone and out casted in his life.