Ch6: Running Backwards

Between Me and You

A/N: long chapter yay!


“Wonwoo!” Joheun’s voice screeched enthusiastically. Kijoon opened her eyes and found her back against Mingyu’s chest. She leaned up slightly blinking stars from her eyes. “Wonwoo stop!” Joheun giggled outside. Kijoon picked up Mingyu’s hand from her side and carefully started moving it off her body.

“mmm” Mingyu moaned with a steady grip on her waist. “Stay.” Kijoon rolled her eyes trying to pry Mingyu’s hand from her waist. Instead she allowed him to clasp his other hand around her as well.

“Mingyu, I want to go outside. Everyone’s back.” Kijoon’s habit of whining was becoming second nature.  Mingyu pulled her hips towards him holding her tightly.

“No,” He muffled into the pillow. Kijoon got on all fours and tried her best to weasel out of Mingyu’s grasp. “No stay with me.” He said with a little laugh in his voice, he sat up rolling over top of Kijoon. “Stay.” Kijoon stuck out her tongue.

“I’m not a dog.” Mingyu pushed her hair out of her face,

“You act like one.” Kijoon pouted her bottom lip. “When you do that it makes me want to kiss you.” Kijoon fought back a smile. She lay helpless with Mingyu straddling her waist. “Do you really want to go outside?” Mingyu’s hands loosened around Kijoon’s wrists.

Kijoon took the opportunity to slip her right hand away. Mingyu held her left hand still against the ground, “Mingyu, let go it hurts.” Kijoon kicked her legs around like a child. Mingyu reached for her right hand again.

“No, you can’t go outside unless you give me a kiss and it has to be a good one.” Kijoon sat up and pecked his lips.

“Can I go now?” Annoyance was prominent in her voice.

“What in the world was that?” Mingyu laughed. He pushed his lips together closing his eyes. Kijoon groaned leaning up to kiss him. She grabbed the back of his neck pulling him towards her so she didn’t have to strain to his height. Mingyu let go of her left wrist letting blood flow back into her fingers. Kijoon intertwined her fingers with Mingyu.

They backed away slowly. Mingyu smiled and kissed Kijoon’s cheek softly. Kijoon’s hands found their way to Mingyu’s sides. She looked up at him with big eyes, “Can I go now?” Mingyu sighed looking down on her. Sunlight had broken through the tree branches and was seeping in through the mesh lining of the tent onto Kijoon’s face.

Mingyu leaned down beside Kijoon’s ear. “I think gravity is telling me you can’t, I can’t seem to get up.” Kijoon bunched her nose angrily,

“Can’t or don’t want to?” She buzzed.  Mingyu smiled,

“I’m going to go with both.”

Kijoon put on a smile rubbing up and down Mingyu’s sides until he hovered comfortably over top of her. Then she shoved him away using every force in her body. Mingyu fell to her side with a thud and Kijoon made a run for it. She made it out of the tent and into the main campsite before Mingyu could chase after her.

Right when Mingyu’s eyes caught sight of the small girl he ran full till. He tackled Kijoon picking her up and spinning around. Kijoon let out a mixture of screams and laughter only having Mingyu continue until he was too dizzy to stand straight. He put Kijoon back on the ground, both bodies wobbling out of control. They people around them watched and laughed as Mingyu relied on Kijoon to stand straight and not fall over.

Kijoon was having a good time until she caught a glimpse of Wonwoo’s stone cold expression. Her smile quickly retreated and she brushed Mingyu away. Mingyu held out his arms confused. He looked to where Kijoon’s eyes were and saw Wonwoo looking rather upset. Joheun was latched onto his arm with a grin from ear to ear.

Puffing her cheeks with air Kijoon swung her arms at her side, “Are we having a bon fire tonight?” Kyungjoo got to his feet looking at the sky,

“That’s a great idea.” He realized the awkward atmosphere quickly and walked towards his keys. “I’ll get some fire wood, um, Wonwoo care to help?” Wonwoo shrugged getting in the passenger seat. Kijoon gave a small wave while the two boys left. She took a deep breath in and exhaled slowly. It looked like keeping a quiet relationship with Mingyu was going to be more difficult than she planned.

---

“Let’s go!” Kyungjoo shouted, “Let’s go, let’s go!” Kyungjoo threw a large bag of wood beside the fire pit. Wonwoo closed the door behind him with a small bag of wood the size of rulers in it.

“Is that all you brought? While Kyungjoo’s packing the heat?” Mingyu laughed. Wonwoo couldn’t help the small smile that formed on his face.

The group of teenagers waited patiently for Kyungjoo to start the fire. Once the fire was lit everyone found their seats for the evening.

“Marshmallows!” Kijoon sang holding up two bags. She tossed a bag to the other side of the circle. “Mingyu has the roasting sticks. There’s only six sticks so people have to share.” Joheun squealed excitedly squeezing Wonwoo,

“I’ll share with Wonwoo!” She quieted her voice and looked down shyly, “If you don’t mind.” Wonwoo smiled politely,

“No problem.”

Kijoon finished distributing marshmallows on sticks when she realized she didn’t have a roasting stick of her own. Mingyu sat with a look of triumph while he slid his toasted marshmallow from the burning metal stick. Kijoon walked over hands folded behind her back, “Gyu,” She said sweetly. Mingyu looked up his sticky fingers. “Can I share the roasting stick with you?” Mingyu stretched his lips into a smile while chewing on one side of his mouth

“Only if you sit with me.” Kijoon’s sweet smile went away while she sat in Mingyu’s lap.

“Why you little-“ She mumbled under her breath.

Mingyu stabbed the marshmallow onto the end of the stick letting Kijoon hover it over the fire. “Babe, be careful with the stick. It’s metal so the fire will make it hot. Don’t burn yourself.” Mingyu said putting his hands over Kijoon’s. She tugged away knowing Wonwoo was watching.

“I’m not stupid, Gyu.” She playfully jabbed Mingyu in the chest with her elbow.

Kijoon made it to marshmallow 6 without fail. Mingyu and herself made an exceptional team in the art of marshmallow cooking. Kijoon rest her roasting stick level with her knee caps and talked with people around the circle. Wonwoo and Joheun had cozied up to each other for the past hour or so. If Kijoon was to be completely honest she would say she didn’t like it.

She didn’t like watching Joheun fawn over Wonwoo like he was a supermodel or something. She hated hearing Joheun’s voice squeak his name. Kijoon didn’t like the way Joheun clung to Wonwoo’s arm or sat practically on his lap around the fire. She just didn’t like the thought of Joheun and Wonwoo together.

Wonwoo laughed at yet another thing Joheun said that was not funny. Kijoon swore her face twitched in confusion watching the two of them together. Wonwoo had a happy glint in his eye that shown bright due to the fire’s light. Kijoon loved that glint in his eye, it made her feel warm in side. Kijoon could see it happening right before her eyes. That good feeling that was just planted in her core was now being wiped away by the sight of Joheun pressing her lips together. She watched her close in and close her eyes to kiss Wonwoo’s cheek just like Kijoon used to when they parted. Joheun was less than an inch away,

“Kijoon your marshmallow is on fire!” Kyungjoo yelled. Kijoon’s eyes fled to her roasting stick. Her marshmallow wasn’t just on fire, it looked as though it had spontaneously combusted and was drenched in gasoline.

Faster than she knew it Kijoon had reached for the metal part of the stick burning her hand. She screamed dropping the stick on the ground. Mingyu turned her to face him examining her hands quickly. Her right palm had a red strip from the start of her index finger diagonally to the other side of her palm. Girls screamed while Kyungjoo stomped out the fire on the marshmallow road that had fallen.

Tears rushed over the edge of Kijoon’s eyelids and she waved her hand in the air in pain. Mingyu hushed her patting her head while Kyungjoo ran for a first aid kit. “I told you to be careful.” Mingyu muttered rubbing alcohol in her hand. Kijoon fidgeted her body around wailing from the burning sensation. “What were you so distracted with?” Mingyu sounded angry.

Kijoon’s eyes looked over to where Wonwoo was sitting. His left hand was on his cheek and he stared at Joheun blankly. Joheun was as red as a tomato and hid her face. Kijoon wanted to spit on the ground in front of them. She was supposed to be their best friend and they were too caught up in each other to notice how much physical pain she was in.

“Ahhh! Ah, ah, ah! Mingyu stop it hurts!” Kijoon cried when Mingyu smeared some sort of cream along her burn.

“Do you want this to heal?!” He yelled. Kijoon fell completely silent. The fire crackling was the only noise made around the site. Kijoon sniffled and rubbed her tears away with her left hand.

Mingyu was a level headed person. He was always patient with the things going on around him and rarely did he ever yell. The only occasions Mingyu yelled in were of serious matters.  Kijoon on the other hand yelled constantly. Weather it was for good things or bad. Despite her loud voice Kijoon would mentally collapse if anyone yelled at her, let alone Mingyu.

Once a bandage was wrapped around Kijoon’s palm she stood from Mingyu’s lap and walked towards her tent. She ped the door and locked herself in.

Kijoon looked at her palm and sobbed. The pain she was feeling was indescribable. Her fingers were numb and her whole hand was pulsing with heat but Kijoon couldn’t focus on the pain. Mingyu’s angry voice was stuck in her head. Kijoon curled into a ball lying in her sleeping bag. She cried nursing her right hand with her left.

Joheun tiptoed toward the tent and heard Kijoon’s cries. She didn’t dare enter with Kijoon in that state.  She joined the other members around the fire. “Mingyu, I think you better sleep in my tent tonight. I’ll cram into the girls’ tent.” Mingyu held his face in his hands. He through his hair ruffling it before covering his whole head with his arms.

Quietly Mingyu stood from his seat and walked to Kijoon’s tent. Her crying had subside but her stuttered breaths were still prominent. Mingyu took a deep breath before stepping into the tent. He lay down beside Kijoon.

Kijoon rolled her body away clutching her hand. “Are you okay?” Mingyu asked coming close to Kijoon’s back. Kijoon stared at the bandage covering her hand. She nodded quietly, “Does it hurt a lot?” Kijoon thumbed the rough material nodding again. Tears welled up in her eyes again. “I’m sorry for yelling at you,” Mingyu reached around ad held Kijoon’s hand. “It wasn’t your fault you got hurt.”

Kijoon let her hand go limp and land on the ground. “Then why did you?” Her voice cracked and she could taste the salty tears hit the back of . Mingyu nuzzled his head into Kijoon’s neck.

“I can see when you watch Wonwoo. It makes me-“ Mingyu lowered his voice, “Jealous. I don’t want to even know there’s a chance I’ll lose you to him.” Kijoon hugged Mingyu’s arms around her.

“I’m not going to just stop being around Wonwoo because we are together. And I’m not going to treat him differently because you want me to. You’re my best friends. I’ve even known him longer than I have you.” Mingyu sighed,

“Go to sleep.” He whispered not wanting to continue the petty argument. Kijoon stuttered a breath but agreed. She slept with Mingyu’s arm as a pillow for her head.

Mingyu watched Kijoon’s chest rise and fall. He leaned up and stared down at Kijoon as she slept. “Guys share things with each other that they don’t with girls. You may be Wonwoo’s best friend but there’s things I know about him that you don’t.” He kissed Kijoon’s cheek putting his head back down on the pillow. “I need you to realize that.”

---

Pots and pans clattered around while the rich aroma of breakfast foods filled the air. “SHHH!” Kyungjoo spat through gritted teeth. “Kijoon is still sleeping!” Kijoon groaned rolling onto her stomach. Her arms covered her head from the light. She tugged the hood of her sweater over her eyes and started to crawl to the edge of the tent. She winced when she applied her body weight onto her right hand. Pushing herself up with her left hand she shook the pain away.

“Not anymore.” Her voice sounded deep and she smiled eyes hidden under her sagging hood. “You people are so loud. Sheesh.”

“If anything you are one of the loudest.” Kyungjoo teased. Kijoon slipped on shoes and shuffled around. “It’s the last day so we were cleaning the dishes. We didn’t want to wake you after you got your injury yesterday.” Kyungjoo pointed to her wrapped hand with a clean pot. “We left you some food. It’s covered on the table.” Kijoon smiled tiredly and sat down to start eating.

It didn’t take her long to eat and wash her dishes. She looked around at the campsite. Pairs were disassembling tents and the site looked a lot cleaner than it did cluttered with all the things they had packed for the weekend. Kijoon looked at the time off her watch. To her surprise it was rounding on four o’clock in the afternoon.

Kyungjoo threw the last bag into the back of the van and piled everyone into the van. “Well boys and girls. I hope you all enjoyed your weekend. We will be arriving at our destination around 7 o’clock. Results may vary between stops and potential rest stations. Please fasten your seat belts and-“

“Why do you talk like that?” One of the girls in the middle row piped up.

“Talk like what? Like a flight attendant? Is it not amusing?” Kyungjoo revaluated the situation. “Should I try western? Ya’ll get to yo’r safety tings. Don’t want none of you kidders getting nicked.” The whole van stared blankly at Kyungjoo’s impression. He turned awkwardly back to his wheel. “Put on your seat belts and amuse yourselves.” He said quietly starting the car.

---

“Kyungjoo I’ll get off at Kijoon’s house.” Mingyu said while the rest of the car slept.

“Oh” Kyungjoo laughed looking at his younger through the rear view mirror, “I see how it is.” His eye brows danced above his eyes. Mingyu waved his hand in the air rejecting his idea.

“No, no, no. I’ll walk home. It’s not that far.” Kyungjoo laughed and with a ‘sure’ he returned his concentration to the road.

The bumpy road caused Kijoon’s head to bounce on Mingyu’s shoulder. She scrunched her face waking up. Her bandaged hand held her head. Mingyu laughed kissing the spot she rubbed. Kijoon smiled blinking her eyes repeatedly to adjust to the light. “Oh, we’re almost at my house.” She looked out the window. “Like really close.” She stretched her arms up touching the roof. “Home sweet home.” She said cheerfully climbing over people to get out of the car. “Thanks Kyungjoo!” Kijoon smiled wide waving goodbye with Mingyu.

Kijoon held her bag with her left hand letting the strap drag on the ground. “I’ll take it,” Mingyu slung the bag over his shoulder gesturing Kijoon to lead the way into the building.

“I can take it from here.” Kijoon said opening the door and throwing her bag on the floor inside. She quickly pecked Mingyu’s cheek and shut the door behind her. Mingyu tilted his head biting the side of his lip from Kijoon’s weird action. He rubbed it off and headed for his own house.

Kijoon exhaled deeply slumping to her room. She fell onto her bed. “One more day and school starts. I’m going to do nothing.”

She thought about everything that happened that weekend. All the good moments she shared with her friends. Kijoon was glad she convinced Mingyu to go on the trip even if there were hardships. She raised her bandaged hand in front of her face rotating it examining Mingyu’s first aid skills. She could see it play through her head as she unwrapped the gauze.

Wonwoo smiling and holding his roasting stick while Joheun moved closer to him by the second.

A thick red line was imprinted in Kijoon’s hand. The skin around the burn was slightly whitened from the lack of oxygen to skin. Why did it make Kijoon so upset that Joheun kissed Wonwoo? She asked herself consecutively.

“I always hope that you will go back to liking me, like you did before. Or at least in another life I have a chance like the one I missed in this one.”

Kijoon let her hand fall to her side. What did Wonwoo mean? She stared up at her roof until it hit her. Kijoon sat up quickly swinging her legs farther onto the bed and hung her top half off. She reached under her desk for a large black box covered in pink and purple polka dots. She plopped it onto the bed and shimmied off the lid.

Inside the box was a mix of memories she had with Mingyu and Wonwoo. She was sure the answer to Wonwoo’s puzzle was sitting in this box. Pictures, sticky notes, small gizmos and pieces of nothing sat in the box. Kijoon spread them all on the bed organizing them in three piles; Memories with Mingyu, Memories with Wonwoo, and Memories together. Her fingers traced along a white CD case with the words ‘no apology’ written on it but there was no CD inside.

“This is it.” Kijoon whispered to herself sweeping everything back into the back and pushing it under her desk until it hit the wall. Kijoon scrambled around her room looking for miscellaneous CDs. She sorted through them until she found one CD without a design or title. She slipped it into her CD player and sat down on her bed.

A familiar upbeat song blared from the speakers. A heavy base controlled the song strong enough to shake a house. That’s when Kijoon remembered.

The house shook from the over powering bass. Kijoon could hear the windows rattling in their panes. She laughed with old friends at her side talking to people she only vaguely remembered. Wonwoo slipped up behind her kissing her neck. Kijoon shivered being tickled slightly. She felt Wonwoo smile along her skin. They continued talking as a group with Wonwoo pecking Kijoon’s skin constantly.

“Ah, I have to go. I told Heejoo I’d help her refresh the bowls around the house at 10.” Wonwoo looked down at his watch yelling over the music. “Kiss?” He asked before leaving. Kijoon kissed his lips and began to pull away. Wonwoo cupped her face continuing to kiss her. Kijoon smiled pushing him away,

“Go help your friend” She laughed. Wonwoo pulled her close again,

“One more?” Kijoon kissed him quickly once more completely shoving his body away from the group. Wonwoo pouted looking at her, Kijoon shooed him away.

She stayed with her friends for another half an hour. She looked around the room filled with people for Wonwoo. He wasn’t around her and Kijoon was feeling rather empty without him at her side. She decided she would attempt to look for him in the house filled with people.

This party Wonwoo had taken Kijoon to was the first one of her first high school year. Wonwoo being a year older already knew all the details about every upcoming event. Wonwoo asked Kijoon to come to the party for their three month anniversary. Kijoon agreed taking into consideration she planned most dates.  As much as Kijoon was used to Wonwoo’s affectionate actions she was not used to seeing teenagers practically on top of each other in public.

Kijoon had a small grimace on her face awkwardly walking in and out of rooms looking for Wonwoo. She walked circles; He said he was helping with snacks or something she thought to herself. She found herself walking into something that looked like the remains of a large kitchen. She scanned the room for her boyfriend. “There.” She recognized the back of his head, smiled to herself and started walking towards him.

Wonwoo ly to be pinned by a girl to the counter behind him. Kijoon choked on the air she was breathing. The girl showered Wonwoo’s face with kisses and it looked like Wonwoo wasn’t putting up any fight against it. Kijoon waited a couple seconds longer waiting to see if Wonwoo would stay loyal to her but when it looked like he wasn’t going to stop she left.

“Kijoonie! Where are you going? The party isn’t over yet!” Her friends called watching her leave. She didn’t listen, she just continued running away eyeliner staining her cheeks while tears seemed to waterfall down her cheeks.