Ch8: Between Friends

Between Me and You

Mingyu had suffered two weeks. Going from the summer to the school year was hitting him hard. His sleeping pattern was thrown into chaos and all he could think about during the day is new plans to avoid the temptation to kiss Kijoon every time he laid eyes on her.

It was harder than it expected. He simply had to resume his affection after school hours in order to not upset Kijoon. She was worrying far too much about How Wonwoo would react. It upset him really that he could barely touch Kijoon at school. Especially when other guys stepped into the picture. It was always, "Kijoon, can you help me with this question?", "Joonie what's the homework?", "Kijoon", "Kijoon," "Kijoon." There never was time in school for Mingyu

Wonwoo hadn’t even come close to Kijoon for the first two weeks of school. Mingyu suggested Wonwoo wasn’t completely adjusted either since he was nocturnal like Kijoon. Kijoon didn’t look happy without him or Mingyu around. Maybe it was their presence that made her smile more than anything.

"Kijoonie!" Kijoon flicked her head up pulling ear buds from her ears. She looked around the classroom being flagged down by one classmate. Kijoon stood from her seat to help the struggling student.

Kijoon liked helping, but she'd much rather be left alone. It was a chore to leave her own work to help the people around her. She often wondered why they didn’t just ask the teacher. Kijoon hunched over 90 degrees to see the boy’s desk "I can’t seem to get zero as my answer." Kijoon skimmed through the question quickly.

"Mmm, check your square root it seems a little off. You shouldn’t get a decimal." the boy fiddled with his calculator, "there 17 is your answer, not 15.7. That’s why your equation is messed up." Kijoon smiled politely and returned to her desk without waiting for thanks.

"Math isn’t even one of my good subjects," he huffs under her breathe looking down at her paper. People asked for her help anyways, she wasn’t the biggest fan of people.

---

"Kijoon, wait up." Wonwoo caught her arm. "I feel like I haven’t seen you in ages! Two weeks without you has not done me any good." he laughed linking arms with her. "How are your classes?"

Kijoon replied with a little snarl then laughed, "Its school. It’s so boring. I can’t concentrate half the time because my head goes somewhere else. What about you?"

Wonwoo directed the two of them to his locker. "Its fine, it’s boring though. A summer filled with you and Mingyu leading to a school year without you two around as often is not that great." Kijoon laughed backing up against the locker.

"Awe, does Wonwoo miss his friends." He nodded with a smile packing his bag with new books.

"How are you and Mingyu doing?" Wonwoo didn’t bother to look over at Kijoon as he continued what he was doing. Kijoon's smile was wayfaring, she watched Wonwoo's facial expression trying to decipher of he actually wanted to know or not. "He doesn’t like talking about it. Which leads me to think something’s wrong."

Kijoon shook her head, "No, were good." Wonwoo closed his locker looking to Kijoon.

"Do you have lunch?" Kijoon nodded, "walk with me?" Wonwoo smiled gently, Kijoon agreed linking arms with him again. "I never see you around with him anymore. Why is that?"

"He has different classes."

"Same lunch?"

"Yeah."

"Then why don’t you two spend it together. Kijoon was getting slightly annoyed with Wonwoo’s excessive questions about Mingyu.

"He’s been catching up with his other friends, like you have." it was evident in her voice that he was getting irritated.

"What have you been doing at lunch?" Wonwoo stopped sitting under a tree outside. Kijoon sat across from him.

"I'm usually in the music room playing the piano." Kijoon danced her fingers through the air.

"What what a great boyfriend." Wonwoo said sarcastically rolling his eyes. Kijoon's eyes zero'd in on him. He leaned back onto his elbows enjoying she shade.

"Don’t say it like that. Mingyu takes care of me. We just keep our relationship more out of school than in school." Wonwoo pushed himself up getting closer to Kijoon.

"Why's that? Huh? I bet Mingyu would love to voice to the school every time he could that you two are in a relationship." Kijoon backed away from Wonwoo.

"What is your deal? Why do you keep bugging me about Mingyu? You're his friend." Kijoon's voice was starting to rise louder.

"You are hiding your relationship. Do you know how many people look at you two? It’s only a matter of time before Mingyu's going to get asked out. What's he going to say then? 'Sorry, I'm not even going to give you a chance because I am in a secret relationship'?" Wonwoo played a stupid voice waving his hands through the air.

"Our relationship isn’t a secret. We just don’t want to be public about it."

"Why not?" Wonwoo was testing Kijoon's patience. He had an evil smirk that hid behind his cold expression.

Kijoon tilted her head calming down slightly, "Because we know how you feel about me and we didn’t want to make you feel bad whenever we were together." Wonwoo laughed shaking his head in disbelief,

"Really Kijoon? Was it the both of you who decided that? Or was it just you? Mingyu knew I liked you, long before you did. I told him when I met him because I knew he had some sort of feelings for you.” Kijoon shook her head looking away from Wonwoo,

“Why does that matter?” She spat angrily.

“What is holding you back? Me? Mingyu is given the chance to be in a relationship like we were Kijoon, that’s what he wants. He was so jealous before and now you won’t give him more of a chance to be with you at school? Do you even like him? Because it seems to me, that you care more about what I think about you two than what you do yourself.” Wonwoo raised his voice at Kijoon. Kijoon couldn’t contain the tears that were starting in her own eyes.  

“Isn’t that what you want Kijoon? A relationship like ours? Where you were happy?” Kijoon wiped the corners of her eyes.

She mumbled, “No,”

“If you really liked him you wouldn’t hide your relationship, despite my feelings for you.” Wonwoo stood on his feet and left Kijoon to sit alone.

Tears rolled down her cheeks. Kijoon rubbed them away with the back of her hand before the bell rang for class. 

 


A/N: I'll be updating every other day from now on! :D yay, happiness!