Ch2: A Date

Between Me and You

Dark brown hair sitting gently over her shoulders like fluffy snow on mountains. A slightly oversized pair of baby blue overalls just hovered around Kijoon's thighs as she adjusted her yellow t-shirt. She sighed looking at herself in the mirror. Her arms dropped to her sides and folded behind her back. "Mingyu," she whispered to herself.

The annoying buzzer rang at the front door and Kijoon darted out of her room. "I'm going out. I'll be with Mingyu!" she yelled to her family before slipping on her shoes and opening the door.

Mingyu stood tall and proud with his white teeth peeking out from his stretched lips. He laughed as Kijoon shyly hid her face with the collar of her shirt. The door clicked shut behind her. "Are you ready?" Mingyu asked bending down to look at Kijoon's hidden face. She blushed nodding and starting towards the elevator without him.

Best friends always talk, but taking into consideration the feelings for each other that had come to light- the atmosphere was silent. It was as if they were on this date as two people that had just met and Mingyu hated it. The short less than a minute elevator ride wasn’t enough to spring a normal conversation either.

The small chime of the floor sounded and Kijoon bolted from the awkward atmosphere. She shook slightly getting rid of the feeling her hands fixed into her pockets. Mingyu rushed up to her side since she had passed him and they stopped just outside the apartment building.

"Where are we going?" Kijoon practically whispered her question in embarrassment. Mingyu extended his hand at shoulder level. Kijoon smiled and put her left hand in his.

"Follow me," Mingyu said tugging Kijoon along behind him. Kijoon was happy she followed behind Mingyu because that was the only way he wouldn’t notice her rosy red cheeks.

The crowd was thick outside Kijoon's hotel since a market was near buy, but that didn’t stop Mingyu from finding a less dense populated road to get to their date destination. If there was any moment he remembered with Kijoon it was when he realized she was people claustrophobic.

---                                                                                                               

The last period bell rang and everyone flooded into the hallways sprawling into random clusters making it hard for anyone to get around. Kijoon was making her way to her locker from her last class and was caught in the midst of a group of giggling girls.

They were so loud and spoke so fast. Kijoon could only spin in circles looking at all their sassy superficial faces and listen to their constant laughter. Something disrupted the circle cause people to topple until Kijoon was pressed between two strangers, books cracked open on the floor.

That’s when she began to cry. She was trapped in a heat of bodies being pushed, shoved, stared at, and talked about. It was too overwhelming for Kijoon to take so she continued to stand and cry helplessly.

Mingyu waited beside Kijoon's locker with the door hung open. "She's late." he thought to himself then looked down the hall where she usually entered. A large mob of people were chatting and creating excessive noise that he wasn’t used to. Then he heard a familiar cry.

Mingyu threw people out of his way breaking into the middle of the circle. Kijoon had fallen to her knees covering her head. Black streams of makeup lined her face from her tears. Mingyu piled her books, "Can you help me with this?" he asked an acquaintance innocently standing on the sidelines. He passed off the books returning to Kijoon.

He crouched down to face has moving her hands from her face. She hesitated only crying louder, "shh shh shh," he whispered rubbing her back. Kijoon didn’t have to look up to know it was Mingyu. She quickly wiped under her eyes with the back of her hands and took his hand into her own.

Mingyu helped her onto her feet and walked her out of the huddle of people gaining lots of unpleasant stares and comments. Standing at her locker Kijoon stared at the ground fighting back the tears building in her eyes. "Are you okay?" Mingyu asked retrieving Kijoon's books and putting them in her locker. She nodded. Mingyu tapped her forehead with his index finger, "I mean like really okay." Kijoon shook her head slowly.

Mingyu tilted her chin up to see her face. Her eyeliner wings were uneven and eyelashes sticking together awkwardly. Her eyes were blood shot from crying and Mingyu could see the new tears threatening to overflow. He grabbed her by the shoulder letting her cry into his uniform shirt.

---

"Mingyu, can you please tell me where we are going?" Kijoon asked for the tenth time since they left the apartment. It had been ten minutes and she was already whining like a toddler. Mingyu just shook his head continuing his long strides that Kijoon couldn’t match.

Mingyu stopped, "Okay," he started; reaching into his pocket, "you have to wear this." he said pulling out a blind fold.

"This better not be a joke," Kijoon said willingly let Mingyu tie a knot behind her head.

She could feel Mingyu's hand carefully take her shoulders steering her in the direction to walk. Kijoon held out her arms feeling around her so she wouldn’t bum into things. Mingyu's hands slipped over her arms and brought them into her sides, "Don’t worry, I'll guide you." he whispered in her ear.

Kijoon bit her bottom lip holding tightly to Mingyu's hands. The sound of cars on gravel filled her ears. Her head moved towards the noise until Mingyu steered her straight again. Now the volume from the chit chat of people added into the environment. "Okay," Mingyu said face resting on Kijoon's shoulder.

Kijoon untied the fold slipping it off her eyes. At first she saw nothing special just a giant slab of concrete that formed an arch way. In red letters across the top was the word 'Zoo'. Kijoon smiled at Mingyu, truth be told she loved the zoo. She loved animals in general.

She marvelled at the large gateway looking past to see all the animals continued behind bars. "Want to go in?" Mingyu asked swinging her arm back and forth. Kijoon nodded and Mingyu lead the way.

---

"Mingyu look!" Kijoon yelled running ahead of her date. Her upper body hung over the safety rail and she pointed to a small monkey. It was just a baby gripping onto the canopy of three branches above it.

"It kind of looks like you," Mingyu laughed holding her from behind. Kijoon pouted her bottom lip pushing Mingyu away playfully.

Kijoon's feet dragged her towards the aquarium section. She ran her hand along the thick doubled panes glass stretched from the top of the underground exhibit to the cold bare dirt under her feet.

Kijoon could feel Mingyu shuffling behind her. Feel his eyes on her back, watching her every move. She turned 90 degrees to face the blue water. "Wow," fog imprinted around Kijoon's hands. There was no fish in this area. Kijoon was just staring into the deep blue clear water.

Mingyu wrapped his right arm around her standing at her side. "What are you looking at? There’s no fish here." Kijoon took a minute to respond. She looked like she was deep in thought.

"Imagine you are a fish, an exotic fish, living in some faraway place and in the middle of minding your own business you are caught into some big plastic bag. You're brought to this place," Kijoon pointed into the tank, "You don’t know any other fishes and you are different them a lot of them. Everyday there are hundreds or thousands of people peering in at you and you have nowhere to hide." Kijoon looked closer at the empty section. "I would look out here and remember look out into the actual blue ocean."

Mingyu stayed quiet wrapping both arms around Kijoon's waist and resting his head on her shoulder. "You'd be a depressing fish." He said looking up at her. Kijoon tilted her head,

"If I was a fish, I hope you and Wonwoo would be fish too so we could all stay friends." Mingyu wanted to groan at the mention of Wonwoo.

He stared at Kijoon's side profile. His chance was sitting right in front of him. Mingyu raised his head from Kijoon's shoulder and tightened his arms around her waist. His heart beat fast. Kijoon was always one to be affectionate and kiss him, but he never could bring up the courage to make the first move himself.

He moved in close but didn’t meet Kijoon's cheek like he had planned. Instead he was kissing her soft pink lips that he'd dreamed about kissing when his feeling first started.


A/N: Just something to take into consideration, I'm sorta newish to Seventeen (known them 2 months, but I can't really watch their TV episodes and/or speak Korean) so their personalities are probably not like theirs. This is strictly how I dreamed up every situation, I don't mean to make anyone seem anyway they are not. Sorry for that inconvinience.

-Aurelia