Rude Awakening

The Chosen Seven

“W-what’s going on?” Woohyun squeaks out as more simultaneous tremors shocks the entire underground base. He holds tightly onto Sunggyu’s arm and with each wave of tremor, his grip tightens. His own question is answered when the sound of the ceiling cracking draws the attention of everyone in the room. Almost in the next instance, the ceiling crumbles with the debris falling onto the people within the room. Quick to recover, Sunggyu immediately puts up a protective barrier, preventing any piece of the falling concrete to touch anyone.

The sound of Himchan’s smartphone lighting up indicates the arrival of the information that everyone wants to know. He scans through the short message and instantly, Himchan grimaces.

“This is not good. We’re being under sieged and it proves to be even more of a problem since we’re deep down and under. The assailant has destroyed the front entrance and there isn’t any other way out from this place except from the rooftop. I’ve sent for a helicopter to pick us up at the top.” Himchan announces the escape plan.

“What about the assailant?” Sunggyu asks.

“We don’t know who the person is however based on report sent to me; there is only one culprit to the whole bombing of the HQ and outside of the sounds of bombing, there are also strange sounds of bangs that doesn’t seems to be make any sense. We conclude that one of the Un-Seven is within the building.” Himchan sighs.

“If your reports are correct, then there is no mistaken that one of them is here. If memories serve me right, the only one whose power matches the description is Avaritia or also known as Greed. His power is teleportation but it isn’t a very quiet ability. Each time he teleports, the energy that wraps him disperses as sound energy which explains the occurrence of the bang sounds. His warping skill is near perfect and is the most mobile of all the Sins. However being said that, Greed is as normal as us and has to find us the hard way.” Myungsoo explains.

“Okay, the helicopter is on its way. We got to move now. Everyone is to leave first and with Sunggyu last.” Himchan instructs and everyone returns with a nod. Myungsoo picks up Sungyeol in a bridal style and is the first to leave the room. Myungsoo’s power isn’t omnipotent and takes time for it to work. It may heal wounds but it doesn’t heal fatigue and stress. With all the latter on Sungyeol’s body, it may take some time for the boy to fully recover.

After everyone has evacuated from the collapsed room, Sunggyu inches step by step slowly towards the exit while still holding up the barrier. The moment his whole body is out from the danger zone, he releases the barrier and makes a run for it, just behind the others. The debris falls onto the ground and an unexpected explosion ignites from within the room, causing streams of fire to burst from the room and is heading towards the escapees.

Hearing the deafening sounds of the explosion and feeling the violent shaking from the after effect, it sends a wave of fear to the escapees, which allow the body system to fuel them with more adrenaline, assisting them with the flee. When they manage to reach the emergency elevator, Himchan quickly ushers everyone in. He enters the elevator last and spams pressing the close button. Sweat and panic blooms from everyone’s faces as the strong streams of fire comes rushing towards their way, eating almost everything in its path.

The door closes in time and the sound of the fire impacting onto the closed elevator doors makes everyone retreat slightly with shock but the door didn’t give way. Only when the elevator begins to ascend then many sighs of relief can be heard. The elevator soon decelerates from its ascension and stops at the hundredth floor. The door opens and the sight of the helicopter landing brings hope to everyone.

Himchan hushes the gatekeepers to quicken their footsteps as there is no knowing when will Greed arrive and it would be ideal to escape without his knowledge. As they move closer towards helicopter, Sungyeol opens his eyes out of the sudden with it glowing with eldritch light, points towards the helicopter and yells to everyone to stop moving.

Shocked from the yell and the sudden reawakening of Sungyeol, it manages to bring everyone’s attention to the boy however that attention span is short lived when their only transport bursts into pieces. With his reflex kicking in, Sunggyu puts up a defensive force shield to blocking and deflecting incoming helicopter parts. When it is over, Sungyeol closes his eyes once more and falls deep into his slumber.

A very loud bang could be heard and remembering the descriptive of Greed’s abilities by Myungsoo, everyone knows who has arrived. Greed stands before them with a menacing expression on his face. Greed dons an expensive looking branded apparels and amongst all the Sins known, Greed looks no older compared to Sunggyu. He has a muscular build and has a very good looking feature, looking as if there are only good genes on him.

Not wasting any of his own time, Greed moves towards the group and teleports out a machine gun into his hands. He loads the ammunition and opens fire at the gatekeepers. With the force shield still up, it blocks the incoming bullets from coming into contact with them. It may be good news for the others, but not for Sunggu. Although drastically reduced, Sunggyu could feel the impact of the bullets when they lands on his shield and it drains his stamina to put the shield on constant recovery.

Out of place to run and out of ideas to escape, the gatekeepers are just like sitting ducks, waiting to be slaughtered. The only thing that separates them from death is the weakening shield Sunggyu has put up. The shooting soon comes to a stop when Greed’s gun finishes up its ammunitions and Sunggyu takes a chance to catch a breather and lowers the shield. However, the loss of bullets isn’t a problem to Greed when he discards the empty weapon and warps out a new one. He reloads it and takes aim at the gatekeeper.

Fearing for his life, Woohyun quickly brings himself into contact with everyone and shields them with invisibility. It brings a momentary confusion to Green however it didn’t stop his actions. He fires a single wild bullet and it penetrates into Woohyun’s leg. The pain forces him to lose focus and the invisible curtain is brought down. Myungsoo stretches out his hand and wills himself to remove Greed’s life away. He may not be the counterpart to Greed and will be unable to kill him however that technique is still possible to bring Greed into an unconscious state, giving them the chance and time they need to escape. When Greed notices Myungsoo’s intention, he evades Myungsoo’s attack with a warp and reappears again. Greed proves to be too quick for Myungsoo to land an attack and the gatekeepers are now once again wide open for attacks without any shield to protect them anymore.

Feeling useless as being the only without any powers, Dongwoo questions himself if he is a gatekeeper as Myungsoo has said and that is when he realizes that Myungsoo has never indicate Dongwoo as a gatekeeper. He could be just treating Dongwoo as someone who will be there for Howon and to help the others. He glances towards the other keepers and bits his lower lip. The other keepers have awakened and Himchan is the only person now that connects them to Nexus. Howon’s power-using personality, Hoya is still recovering from the fatal attack by Envy and will be off combat for the time being but regardless, the muscled male has powers nonetheless and Dongwoo himself has none.

Dongwoo then notices how Greed warps around only himself but without the weapon in his hand. It brings to his attention that Greed could only warp himself along with the clothes and stuff on him, things familiar to him. It could be that clothes are simple items and doesn’t need much energy to warp alongside with him in comparison with machine guns that comprises of many parts, put together in a very complicated manner.

With a rough plan formulated into his plan, he latches his own lips onto Howon’s own, shocking the muscled male with his sudden actions. Dongwoo thought that after this, he may not be able to do that anymore. Pulling away, he gives Howon one last smile before charging straight towards Greed. Unnoticed by Dongwoo’s sudden burst and change of behavior, Greed fails to warp in time away from the path of impact of Dongwoo’s tackle. With Greed tightly wrapped within his arms, Dongwoo pushes himself and Greed off the edge of the roof.

“Let go!” Greed growls and attempts to struggle out from Dongwoo’s grip. The latter’s grip slowly wanes as his own fear of heights cause Dongwoo to focus more on his fear than to restrain Greed. It did not take long for Greed to escape from Dongwoo and warps instantly away.

Dongwoo continues to accelerate towards the ground and the fear of death soon overtakes his feelings.

“I guess this is it then…” Dongwoo mutters and closes his eyes, waiting for the impact to arrive.

But how wrong is he when his fall quickly decelerates and soon brings to a halt, leaving him suspended in mid-air. 

To be continued in Chapter 35: Speed 


A/N

Feeling extremely guilty for not updating these days! 

Busy with graduation and too busy squealing after attending the Singapore Social Concert.

And some of my fav performers are there! (Carly Rae Jepson and the awesome Psy!) 

Blush is great too and how can i miss out Celo Green. 

But kakakakaka Infinite (and other fav groups of mine ~) is still on top! :D