Stranger

The Chosen Seven

 

The two friends make their way to school, with their usual chit chats and laughter fueled with their energy. In some way, Myungsoo is similar to Sungyeol – he is an orphan as well thought he doesn’t talk much about his own family background. Sungyeol finds it offensive to ask such a question and will wait for the day Myungsoo is ready to reveal it all, though he has been waiting for the past ten years.

He met Myungsoo when he was nine and it seems as if the meeting only occurs yesterday. Despite the ten years duration after their first encounter together, the memory within Sungyeol’s mind is still fresh and he is still able to recall the details. What makes it more interesting and excited to Sungyeol is he never dreamt about the meeting at all.

People around the slums are no different than people outside – they discriminate. When Myungsoo and Sungyeol find themselves alone from the neglect of their classmates, they find solace together and from there is where the spark of friendship begins to ignite. It took a few years for Sungyeol to get used to Myungsoo’s presence and companionship before he reveals his own family status to the other. Although the younger of the two did mention to reveal his when he felt comfortable, Myungsoo never did.

But friends wait for friends and they respect each other. They know which buttons to push and which they shouldn’t. Although there are times where they fight, their reunion back together again is inevitable. It is made to seem that they are fated to be together and ever.

Being the older one, Sungyeol is expected to be in a class of a high grade than Myungsoo, but the elder had intentionally failed on of his grade just to be in the same class as the younger because only with Myungsoo do Sungyeol feel safe and comfortable. Furthermore, they both have each other for support when they got alienated or being hurled with profanities.

The large bell that stands proudly on top of the school rings out loudly when the two just step onto the school compounds – the signal of classes beginning to start. Effortlessly, they both dashes up to their classroom and release a sigh of relief when their homeroom teacher hasn’t arrive yet.

Being the giant among his classmates, Sungyeol has the window seat right at the back, with Myungsoo just diagonally on his right. When Sungyeol arrives at his table, he finds scribbles vandalizing the once stainless furniture. He sighs quietly to himself as he makes a mental note to himself to remove the stain after school. He knows that this is futile effort as by the next day, they will vandalize his table again, but Sungyeol likes his things clean and finds satisfactory in doing such stuff.

Class begins moments later when the teacher promptly enters the class and Sungyeol drifts his attention anywhere else but the blackboard. He doesn’t really need to listen to class since he already know what exam questions will be coming out and despite countless warnings from his teachers to pay attention more in class, he always excel his exams, giving them the biggest shock of them lives.

When he first got a full marks for one of his papers, he almost got expelled for cheating but that order was eventually be nullified when there isn’t enough evidence to support his crime. Years passed and soon teachers began to accept Sungyeol’s intelligence, not knowing a single clue on how he had manage such a feat and chose not to disturb him even if he sleeps during lectures because they know that he will get a perfect score in their exams.

As the teacher continues to his lecture on IUPAC naming of compounds, Sungyeol let his attention wander out of the window in hopes to find something interesting to focus on. He doesn’t know why he did that since there won’t be anyone on the school compounds anymore with the exception of usual latecomers trying to weasel their way out of the security guards.

But today seems to be a little unusual when he spotted something that doesn’t seem to blend well with the environment. From a far distance, a man stands beneath a shade of a large tree. It does seem to Sungyeol that that man seems to prefer black over all other colors as he wore a set of black hoodie, pairing up with black jeans. However, the distance between Sungyeol and the unknown man is too wide and he is not able to deduce the structure and features of the other man’s face.

When he tries to squint his eyes to further his focus, a hand shakes him out of his trance, causing Sungyeol to jump slightly in his seat. He turns to the owner of the hand and glare at the other for the sudden contact. Myungsoo chuckles at the elder’s reaction to the contact and continues to tease the elder. Sungyeol passes off the teases with ease and when he turns back to find the stranger, the man is no longer there. Sungyeol shrugs to himself before turning his attention back to his best friend, who seemingly pouts to Sungyeol’s temporarily neglect.

-

A lady quickly hastens her foot steps as the sound of her heels strutting the cold concrete floor becomes louder and with shorter intervals. Her long white coat flutters around as she moves. Arriving at her destination, she knocks firmly on the cold metal doors before sliding her access card at the side where the input machine is. The door slides open and immediately closes when the lady had entered the room.

She drops a clipboard on the table, in front of a middle-age looking man dressed in a suit that cost no less than a thousand. The man glances up at the lady before turning his attention back onto the clipboard. His expression darkens when he complete processing the contents of it. His hand slides to the side and with a firm push, he pressed a red button that is connected to the PA system.

“Activate Code: Red and increase the security around Subject Zero. We have an intruder.”

To be continued in Chapter 17: Escape


A/N

I've edit the chapters a bit here and there, though I will take some time to clean up mistakes of previous chapters.

I've changed the title of Chapter 16 as well since the planning of Sungyeol's plot has taken a huge change in it.

From here on, a twist will be coming soon so expect it! =) 

This is a rather early update so Enjoy! :D