Competition

The Chosen Seven

 

Howon purses his lips as he caps back his ballpoint pen and places it on his desk. The teacher then walks down the rows and collects back the test scripts, piling them together before inserting them into a large brown envelope. She bids the class farewell as the ring rings just seconds later. Howon slumps backwards into his seat, filling relieved that the test is over but can’t help but wonder how he well he will do. He hopes to beat the elder one day to earn the rare praise that Dongwoo seldom gives. So far, he hasn’t known of any one that has received the elder’s praises, not even to girls he flirts in the clubs.

“Now, don’t look so sad. You will do well.” A familiar voice rings out as the owner forces Howon to smile with his fingers. Dongwoo gives Howon a cheerful grin but only to be returned with a glare. The younger male swats the fingers away from his lips and rubs his sore mouth.

“Yea, and forever maintaining in second placing.” Howon admits bitterly.

“You don’t have to chase for first placing, you know. Second of the entire cohort is wonderful too! Come, let’s go for lunch!” Dongwoo exclaims and puts out his hand for the younger to grab.

Howon shakes his head and laughs silently. He grabs the elder’s hand and uses the elder’s strength to pull himself off the chair. Maybe there is some wisdom within Dongwoo’s words that he should be satisfied with being second but hey, everyone wants to be a winner at times.

“Nah, I’ll beat you one day.” Howon declares. Dongwoo snickers at Howon’s remark and pats the shoulder of his best friend.

“Bring it on. I’ll be waiting.”

It is then where their daily bickering and laughter starts to begin. When they walk pass students, people admire them in awe - one is someone who is so cheerful, outgoing, good looking and smart while the other has the body of a god, kind, helpful, good looking and smart as well. When they just enter the cafeteria, they notice a group of student gathering by the noticeboard, discussing amongst themselves.

The duo pushes through the students and sees a poster that is freshly pasted on the board.

Woolim High School Annual Dancing Competition

Category: Solo / Group

Stand a chance to win up to KR1 Million Won!

Sign up today! Limited slots!

Howon raises his eyebrow with interests. This could be his only chance to win the elder. Unlike their academic gap, Howon knows that in terms of their dancing skills, he has the upper hand. He has the stamina and the body structure and strength to do more varieties of skills compared to the elder. However, he cannot underestimate Dongwoo as the elder is extremely skilled as well, especially on body flexibility.

Howon and Dongwoo turn to each other and a glint of competitiveness appears within their eyes. Although Dongwoo won last year’s competition, Howon is confident that he might win this year’s and probably earn a praise and acknowledgement from Dongwoo. Not giving any hesitation to the thought, both males immediately registers for the competition. The crowd of student cheers for them as they know that the limelight of the competition will be between the two males.

With school over, Howon bids his goodbye to Dongwoo before leaving for his destination. The elder understands the motives and nods. Every day without fail, Howon will always head for a certain place after school because that place holds a meaning for him. He gets on the bus, pays for the fare and heads inwards of the transport. Finding himself a seat, he plops onto the leather seat and wears his headphones, with music blasting. Although the competition is just months away, he finds no reason to slack on his training and he must as well search for compatible songs to dance along with.

His journey quickly ends when he arrives at a quiet avenue. He gets off the transport and looks around, seemingly trying to recall the old days when he lived here. He starts walking and makes a turn at the end of the stone pavement and right there, is the building he has been searching for.

Bluebird Orphanage.

He smiles at the sight and treks towards the building. The moment he steps in, the children within the orphanage momentarily pauses their tasks at hand before charging towards the muscled male with excitement and happiness. One by one, they hug Howon by his legs and snuggle into his school pants. Howon chuckles at the warm invitation and ruffles their hair.

“We miss you, Hoya!” They exclaims.

“Really? Have you all been good?” Howon asks and they nod their head. Howon smiles cheekily at them and ruffles their hairs once again.

“Now, off with whatever you’re doing. Is he in?” Howon asks. The children nod their head and points towards the room where a label hangs that says: Staff only. Howon lightly ushers them back to the room they came dashing out from and heads towards the room. Giving the door a few firm knocks, he twists the doorknob when he is given entry.

The male within the room stops his paperwork to greet the muscled male with a hug.

“It’s nice to see you here again.” The male said.

“It’s nice to back here as well, though I’ve been coming here every day.” Howon exclaims.

“You don’t have to, you know. You should enjoy your youth by spending more time with friends.”

“It’s okay. Nothing is more important that this place. You know it holds a meaning inside of me.” Howon smiles as he says that statement.

“Yea and that is almost the one millionth time you’ve said that. One day, it might just become the slogan for this Orphanage.” The male exclaims and returns to his seat.

“I think you’re able to listen a few more times, can you? Old man.” Howon teases.

“I’m not an old man! Do I look that old to you?”

“Well, you certainly do not but you have been here since I was a child! You haven’t aged a bit!” Howon exclaims.

“That’s the power of drinking milk. They make your skin young and keep your body young as well!”

“Whatever, one day I’m going to force that truth of your mouth that you did plastic surgery.”

“I did not go for plastic surgery, dammit!” The male mutters loudly.

“Whatever you say, ---“

“If you’re going to call me by that name, I’m going to slaughter you personally.”

“Why? That name is nice on the ears.” Howon exclaims but the other male refuses to relent and glares. Howon exhales a sigh and nods.

“Okay. Whatever you say, L.”

-

"Hey have you heard?" One of the students asks. The other student shakes his head.

"I heard that the sponsor for the dance competion that Woolim holds every year has changed."

"Really? I thought that the old sponsor is doing fine. So who is the new sponsor?"

"You know - that famous electrical company." 

"I don't remember."

"It's Red Dawn."

To be continued in Chapter 24: Outcome


A/N

Very very late chapter! But this chapter will be extremely satisfying to a certain point. :D