Black Star

The Chosen Seven

 

Howon blinks in confusion when the name that was announced isn’t his. When the elder walks up to receive the price, and the announcer congratulates him for the victory, his own question is answered. He has lost, again. A sharp pain pierces his heart as he feels the agony of all his hard work all gone down the drain. He should have known that he is no match for the elder, no matter what thing they compete in. Sure that he may triumph the elder over their body structure, but the elder isn’t too far behind when it comes to body conditioning. Dongwoo has his own set of abdominal muscles; with just a little less define that Howon’s. It is a win alright but Howon also wants to move out from his comfort zone. He wants to be seen even more in the eyes of Dongwoo and not just of his figure, but his own skills and talent. When Howon first receive praise from Dongwoo, it feels addicting to the younger, wanting for more.

The other participants and some of the audience come rushing up the stage and picks Dongwoo up on their shoulders, cheering for him and occasionally slightly throwing him upwards only to be caught safely by their hands. Howon just stands here, still stricken by the fact that he has lost. He put so much sweat, energy and time into his performance and yet the outcome doesn’t make a matter even if he slacks off. He feels anger fueling inside of him when he recalls back how the elder lazes around their apartment while Howon is out practicing.

However, Howon is trying to accept the fact that there are times when hard work cannot out win talent. Dongwoo simply has the talent to excel in everything he do while Howon puts effort and yet nothing much is rewarded. He raises his head and stares at the elder’s happy face. Part of him feels happy for the other, for his win while another part continues to refuse his loss.

He feels jealous and full of envy.

He wonders that if he won instead of Dongwoo, what could have actually happen. That thought however is quickly removed from Howon’s mind as the competition is over and there is no point pondering over split milk. The verdict is given and he could do nothing to change it. When he notices the elder’s eyes on him, Howon averts his eyes and removes himself from the crowd. The impact from the loss is simply too big for Howon to handle and he needs time for himself and to reflect.

When Howon enters the backstage to grab his stuff and leave, his current plan got disrupted by someone clapping. He turns to the source to find a lady in formal attire standing by the doorway. It takes Howon a few minutes to realize who she is. She’s one of the judges that have judged him during the performance. He recalls her from some electrical company, Red Down or Dawn Red or something in between. Still sore by the loss, he decides to ignore her and continues packing.

“Your performance is wonderful, Mr. Lee.” She compliments.

“Thanks.” Howon replies. He hears the woman smirk and the sound of her heels clicking the floor after. She moves closer to the male and leans on one of the dressing tables.

“Not much a talker, are you? You know you should be rather happy that you have done a wonderful job. You don’ have to be sore over your loss.” She says. Howon feels his patience running dry as he stops his actions and turn to other.

“I’m not sore.” He rebuts. The woman laughs and gets off her leaning position. She approaches the male and stands in front of him. With a finger, she traces Howon’s collarbone to the left side of his chest, where his heart thumps.

“It’s not good to lie, my dear. You’re sore over your loss to your best friend and I can sense something that has long been blooming within.” She exclaims. With her finger still on his left chest, she raises her gaze straight into Howon’s eyes. She moves her lips near Howon’s left ear.

“Envy. You envy him because of your own inability to win him. You can never win someone who is born with talent. Do you know that hard work is for those who are in denial of their own talentless lives? They put so much effort but the ones who triumph are those with talents. Of course, money does play a part but I doubt that is the contributing factor.” She taunts.

“What do you want?” Howon asks, now treading on a thin line between staying calm and to burst out in anger. She smiles and backs off from the male. She wipes the sweat on her finger away on her blouse and stands arm length away from Howon.

“What do I want? I think that is not the right question here, Mr. Lee but what you want. Do you want to win your best friend, triumph over him and earn those addictive praises that you long for? Do you want him to accept and acknowledge you that you’re not someone who isn’t talented? Do you want him to see you more and possibly, fulfilling your own heart’s wish – obtaining his love?” She exclaims.

“You’re mad and talking nonsense. I’ve no idea why I entertained you at the first place.” Howon says as he turns back to continue his packing.

“I’m not mad and talking nonsense, Mr. Lee. I can promise you that it is very real indeed. All you have to do is answer yes or no.” She continues, unfazed by Howon’s rudeness.

“Okay! It’s a yes. I do want all those things you’ve mentioned. Now you got your answer, could you leave me alone? I’m not in a mood for pranks and games.” Howon replies sarcastically.

“That’s a great answer. Here, take this. You seem so tired after all the strenuous dancing, I thought you might want some water.” She exclaims and hands out a bottle of mineral water for the male. Howon could no longer stand the lady and as a last resort to remove her from his sight and yet not hostile, he uncaps the water and drown all the water into his system. When every single drop of water is gone, he caps it back and throws it into the bin from a distance.

“Thank you for the water. I’ll take my leave now.” Howon exclaims as slung his bag over his shoulder and leaves. The woman watches the male leave the room with her piercing looking eyes and smiles to herself.

“I hope you enjoy the drink, Lee Howon.”

To be continued in Chapter 26: Transformation


A/N

I'm so late on this update >_< I'm really sorry! 

I fell ill few days prior and simply do not have to energy to pick myself up to type. Fever is a :/ 

And No, the next chapter isn't about transformers! 

I hope you enjoy this chappie! >_<