Distress

The Chosen Seven

 

The process is so quick that Dongwoo has no idea what has happened. He stands by the edge of the roof and takes a peak down. Even if the building is just six levels high, that height is sufficient to kill someone. Even if a miracle happens and the person survives, chances of him being crippled is extremely high or in other cases, bleeding to death is absolutely possible too.

Dongwoo wriggles his feet insignificantly forward as he nears losing his center gravity, soon to topple over the edge. He swallows air as he tries to muster his courage to go for the jump. He gazes into the distance as soft gentle wind grazes his cheek. He rethinks his decision if suicide is the best option. If he dies just like that, will anyone mourn for him? He doesn’t have parents or anyone related to him. His own presence is now a laughing stock among his classmates and his best friend… doesn’t seem to care about him anymore. The change within Howon is too sudden and Dongwoo couldn’t adapt quick enough. The younger male is nice and kind on one day and the next thing he knew, Howon becomes cold – a total 180 degrees of change.

But it is just one day of humiliation and misfortune. Dongwoo exhales out as he calms down to recollect his thoughts. He’s right about the rashness of his thoughts however he couldn’t help it at that point. He panicked and feels extremely emotion at that point and these thoughts are all jumbled up. He could not process them intelligently and concludes them based on his emotions. But now that he stands on the line between life and death, his own fear for death causes him to calm down and rethinks. Maybe today is just a bad day for him and maybe Howon is just angry with him. Who knows that tomorrow may prove to be a different day?

After reweighing all his options, Dongwoo decides that maybe it might not be the best idea to end his life because of something so minor. He suddenly recalls that his locker contains a set of gym clothes for his dance practice that he can change into. Feeling slightly better, Dongwoo retreats backwards and gets off the edge. However luck isn’t on his side. Just after taking a few steps backwards, a black crow flies at a slightly lower altitude and unintentionally brushes its wings against the elder. Astonished by the sudden contact of the bird, Dongwoo jumps out of shock and causes him to fall forward, right off the edge.

All thoughts within the elder’s mind stopped within that moment as he feels himself falling downwards. Dongwoo doesn’t remember what comes next but all he remembers is the intense pain that agonizes his entire body.

-

Dongwoo shots up with beads of sweat streaks the side of his face. He touches his body and notices that the lack of pain from the pressure he is applying. He feels fine and don’t feel pain at all. His expression turns puzzled as he does remember falling off the edge. He sighs out in relief that it might be all just a dream though for some reason, he is able to remember a surge of immense pain.

The sound of the door opening snaps Dongwoo out from his own thoughts as an extremely handsome male walks into the room, carrying a trap of food. It is then he realizes that he isn’t in his room or any room that he is familiar with. The place is unknown to the elder and so is the stranger that has just walked in. The male puts down the tray and gently pushes Dongwoo down on the bed.

“W-what are you doing?” Dongwoo asks.

“Oh! You’re awake! I-I’m so sorry for not realizing it earlier but it’s just that your eyes seem so small at that point…”

“Hey! My eyes aren’t that small. Everyone is the same when they just woke up.” Dongwoo rebuts and the male nods. He then takes a seat at a chair next to the bed Dongwoo is lying on.

“How are you feeling?” The male asks.

“Fine, I guess? I’m still feeling a little sore. Who are you by the way? Where am I and why am I here?” The stranger raises his eyebrows.

“You don’t remember a thing, huh?” Dongwoo shakes his head.

“Well, I guess I should introduce myself. My real name is a little weird so you can simply call me L and as for your location – you’re currently at the orphanage that I’m managing.” L explains.

“Oh so you’re the ‘L’ he has been referring to.” Dongwoo announces.

“Who are you referring to?”

“Howon, of course! You know him right?” L nods.

“Then this must be the place he grew up in. Feels kind of comfortable here and it’s nice to meet you, L.” Dongwoo exclaims with a smile in which L gladly returns.

“It’s nice to meet you too…?”

“Ah, where are my manners! I’ve forgot to introduce myself! My name is Jang Dongwoo and probably Howon’s… Ex-best friend I’d guess…” Dongwoo exclaims with a hint of disappointment.

“Want to talk about it?” L asks.

“I guess… I… I don’t know what to do. Howon changed a lot. I think he’s mad over his loss over me winning him at the annual dance competition. I wanted to apologize for it but when I saw him this morning, he looked cold and different. His eyes don’t contain the kindness that I use to know.” Dongwoo exclaims as he slumps backwards on the pillow. L nods with understanding as he rises from his seat.

“I’m sure he’s still the same. He’s probably just mad and some distance will do just fine. Why don’t you take the time to rest? The sun is about to set and I got to start making dinner for the kids. Do stay for dinner yes? Dinner might take a little while so you may indulge with the snacks I’ve placed here. Rest well, Dongwoo.” L says as he walks out of the room and gently closes the door. Dongwoo sighs in desperation. The man is probably right that maybe some distance might do a little good to repair their hopeless relationship.

-

The door flies open and instead of someone walking in, a body is hurled through the entrance and directly at the individual that is sitting just across. With quick reflexes, the person ducks from the line of trajectory as the body comes into contact with the reinforced glass window behind. With a short momentary glance at the body, that person’s eyes then averts to the person who hurled the body. Noticing the familiarity of the other, the individual frowns with distaste.

“How did you find me, Lee Howon?”

“From his mouth, of course. Definitely not an easy task but the moment I change my plan to torture that guy, he immediately blurted out everything. Sadly I couldn’t have my fun in it. You know, you should train your underling a little better, Envy

otherwise where’s the fun going to be?” Howon exclaims as he leans on a nearby wall.

“I don’t need you to teach me how to train my own minions, Gatekeeper. Since you know who I am, I suppose you’re ready to have your life permanently ended?” Envy snarls.

“Not going to agree on your point of view but I’m not going to turn down a request, especially from a lady. However, maybe to somewhere more… isolated?” Howon suggests.

“What are you trying to imply here? Are you afraid that you can’t win me because this is my territory?” Envy exclaims.

“Not exactly. You’re minions are easy to defeat but simply annoying. An isolated place for our showdown will do just perfectly fine. Plus, it will be at that place. You do want the location don’t you?” Howon taunts.

Envy glares hard at the Howon as she considers hard his proposition. Feeling that this is the only possible way to find out the location of that, Envy agreed. The gatekeeper may be strong to overpower her underling however if Howon underestimate her prowess, it will be the end of the gatekeeper’s life.

-

The man swings a coat over his shoulders as he checks the contents of his pockets and the shimmer silver equipment that hangs by his waist belt.

It is time.

To be continued with Chapter 30: Hoya


A/N

This is today's chappie! Enjoy it to the max because the peak of the yadong's arc is here! 

And someone else will be joining the frey as well! (I wonder who is it *Looks innocently*) 

So, what do you guys think of this chapter ~ :>