Schadenfreude (Part II)

The Chosen Seven

 

That day isn’t a good day for Dongwoo but rather a disaster. He has never felt so humiliated in his entire life before. His misfortune on the water prank has become the talk of the student body and majority of the students will sneak a chuckle whenever he walk pass them. The male couldn’t do a thing but blush in embarrassment. However, if he had thought that is the end of his troubles, he is very wrong.

It happens during lunch time, when Dongwoo makes his way to the cafeteria and surprisingly alone. Howon did not approach the elder once and Dongwoo feels that he should give the younger some space. Not only so, he feels embarrassed to approach the younger now, after their earlier predicament. As usual, the elder queues up for his food and proceeds to find a seat once he has obtained it. Having spotted an empty seat just meters away, he walks towards the open seating however Dongwoo never makes it. Dongwoo is too absorbed on wanting to reach the seat as soon as possible that he fails to notice a foot being placed out intentionally. Not noticing the obstacle, the elder trips over the hard organ and falls hard on the ground. His tray gets tossed and its content splatters all over Dongwoo as he tries to pick himself up.

The whole cafeteria becomes silent as every pair of eyes looks upon him, with curiosity and amusement. A familiar laughter breaks the quiet atmosphere as Dongwoo turns his head towards the source. His eyes widens with a tinge of pain within his chest as he realizes who the person is. It is then the cafeteria is filled with laughter. Some comment on how clumsy Dongwoo is, while another minority suggests that the elder’s clumsiness is cute. However, those words are on deaf ears. All Dongwoo could hear is the sound of humiliation.

The elder lets the tears that he has been holding back fall and streak his food-stained face. Not bothering to clear up his mess, he gets back up on his feet and dashes out of the cafeteria. He barges in the nearest washroom and locks himself inside one of the cubicle, feeling thankful that it happens to be empty. Once locked, his feet give away and he tumbles onto the tiled floor as he wipes away the tears that fall. Being humiliated is alright for Dongwoo however for some reason, the first person that laughed out affects him the most.

That person is Howon, his best friend.

He has yet to fully comprehend his own feelings for the younger male but Dongwoo knows the signs of it – the hastening of his heart beats, the warm sensation that creeps on his cheeks and the touch that cause Dongwoo to feel sparks. Dongwoo isn’t a dumb guy who doesn’t know what falling in love is but what are the chances that, that person happens to be the one closest to you?

He sniffs in his snot and clamp his hand over his mouth when he hears the washroom door opening. He hears them chatting about some random topic and starting to laugh. Dongwoo hopes that they could leave as soon as possible, however they remained longer than expect as the next topic on hand causes Dongwoo to hitch his breath.

“Hey, did you saw what happen just now at the cafeteria?” One of them started.

“I did! I was near there when that guy fell. I even saw his expression – it was priceless.” His companion replies and started to laugh at the recalling of the disastrous memory.

“What’s that student name? I think it’s a senior right?”

“I think you’re the only one who doesn’t know him. He’s actually pretty famous and has quite a number of fans. He’s the Ex-Most popular student of Woolim.”

“Ex-Most Popular?”

“Yep! His name is Jang Dongwoo and for your information, he got pranked by the water bucket trick this morning. It was a classic and hilarious though too bad I’m not in his class or otherwise I would have seen it. Plus after his ‘next performance’, I’m pretty sure that he lost majority of his fans. They probably got too humiliated by his actions. Now, Howon is the most popular student.”

“Hmm… you think Howon did the pranking?”

“It isn’t impossible. It could be revenge for his loss at the dancing competition held yesterday but the Dongwoo’s misfortune covers up that discussion. Either way I see, Howon Sunbae wins the situation at hand.”

“That kind of . I wonder what I will do if this happens to me.”

“If it was me, I’ll probably end my life. With that amount of humiliation, I got to admit that Dongwoo has guts to carry on with his lessons.”

“You’re probably right. Let’s go. Lunch period is about end!”

With that last sentence, the two male exits the washroom and silence immediately takes over once again. Dongwoo knew that suicide isn’t a solution to problems however now it becomes an option to him. He doesn’t have courage to face his classmates nor Howon anymore, after all that humiliation. He doesn’t have a spare set of uniform and if he walks on the streets with these stained cloths, he would be the laughing stock of the town.

Dongwoo thinks hard and could not think of any other options but the one that was mentioned by the student. The decision is a rash one however the humiliation is too strong and the elder couldn’t think through his options properly. Perhaps the only way out of this predicament is ending his life. Furthermore, if what the students said were right about the mastermind of his misfortune, then that person might possibly be satisfied with his departure.

After all, that could be what Howon wants right?

-

The boy smirks in victory as he watches Dongwoo exits silently and heading towards the rooftop. Framing the boy is a simple task to him and that once Dongwoo is gone; his main target will fall into despair as according to plan. He never thought that setting a trap would be this easy. The thoughts of his mistress rewarding him is the only thoughts that floats within his mind that he fails to notice another individual that had stood behind him for quite some time, wearing a cold and menacing aura that is filled with bloodlust.

To be continued in Chapter 29: Distress


A/N

A deeply emotional chapter though next chapter will be slightly more awesome and more progression will be made! 

Hope that this awfully late chapter can satisfy you readers! =)