Encounter

The Chosen Seven

Life could not be any more boring for Sunggyu. Studying at a local college, he did not have any plans for his own future. He thought that he will most likely be just like one of many graduates who would get a blue-collared job, find a girlfriend and settle down; Have a few kids, get old and retire. He didn’t have much of a dream.

But he has a dream nonetheless yet an unachievable one. He wishes to be a singer, a rock star but he did not have the time and effort to pursue his dream. He has to work his off to pay his tuition loan for his college, and he has to do it all by himself. He is born an orphan and never knew who his parents were though he has never thought of finding them. If they abandoned him at the first place, he shouldn’t be the one looking for them.

Sunggyu sighs as he slump in his seat, awaiting the professor to begin his lecture. He detests studying the most but yet is important for his ‘future’. He straightens himself to a proper sitting position as the professor taps the microphone, testing its usability.

“Testing 1, 2, 3. Okay Students before I begin I have some announcement to make. There have been recent attacks on students late at night. The school has decided to put up a curfew for those staying in dorms that all must return to their rooms by 8 p.m. Students not staying in dorms are to leave the school compounds by 6 p.m. or before the day turns dark. In the meantime, the school will investigate these attacks thus you have no need to be afraid.” The professor announces in a monotone voice. This kind of news certainly interest most of the students in the hall, but it somewhat did not interests Sunggyu. He thinks that it would probably be just some student being bashed up by some nearby gang and nothing else.

“Professor, what happened to those who got attacked?” One of the students asked while raising her hand. The professor turned uneasy for a minute before sighing out loud.

“I’m not in a position to say this but if you must know and if it would make you guys obey the curfew then I will oblige. The attacks did not take any lives at the moment, but it left the students in a weird state. Based on doctors’ reports, it is written off a trauma but when we lecturers when to visit the students, they did not respond to any of our gestures and simply stared blankly at the walls. I’m not exactly knowledgeable in the field of psychology but I do not think that is trauma.” The professor mentions. His voice trembles slightly as he explains his own opinions in which Sunggyu has never heard it before. If such an accident could cause such a change in someone, it might be something huge.

But it did not affect Sunggyu one bit. Instead he felt annoyed that the professor is still not starting his lectures yet and felt as if his own time is wasted. Who cares about the professor’s own opinion? The professor probably had just overworked himself and over think stuff. If the doctors state it as trauma, then he should leave it as it is. Thankfully enough, the professor did begin his lecturing and manage to complete what he had plan for the class. As he gathers his notes and books, he could hear his classmates gossiping about the incidents. 

“Hey, do you think it is true? I hope it is not. I don’t want it to happen to me. I’m too young to die.” One of the students said.

“I know right! I hope the school finds the culprit as soon as possible, otherwise I’m transferring.” Another student said.

“Wait a minute, didn’t something similar happen with another college nearby? I heard that the students there got attacked as well and in the end the school has to close!” One guy mentions.

“What happen to the students?” The guy shrugs his shoulders.

“No one knows. I have a friend who is studying there but I’ve not been in contact with him for weeks! I think…” The guy did not manage to finish as the girl shriek in fear.

Sunggyu simply roll his eyes. He wonders how anyone could be so dramatic and think so much over such a small matter. The professor clearly said that no one actually lost their lives plus that ‘friend’ could have possibly chicken out and transferred to another place. For god sake that his classmates are taking the same business degree as him and yet they’re acting as if they’re from the arts department. He picks up his bag and slung it across his shoulder and walk out from the lecture hall. Seeing how he has no more classes that day, he thought that he should probably spend some quality time studying. He didn’t have many options to slack off. Sunggyu certainly did not want to forward any failed modules and simply wanted to finish his tertiary education and get on with his life.

In the end, he did not manage to study much with the time he had. To pay off his tuition fees, he took up many odd jobs around the area which took quite long hours. Despite the transparency of those jobs, it did pay quite well – sufficient enough for Sunggyu to survive through hard times. Occasionally enough, fatigue took a toll on Sunggyu’s body, and the boy simply just wanted to sleep.

When he woke up, he felt slightly more refreshed, having charged with a little bit more energy. He whines to himself after realizing that he spends all his time sleeping instead of revising that day’s classes. He fumbles out his phone from his pocket and unlocks it for the time. It is 9 p.m. in the evening. He widens his eyes as he quickly packs his stuff and headed for the exit. How could the Librarian fail to wake him up when there is a curfew set? Thankfully enough, the entrance isn’t lock and Sunggyu could not be more relief. He certainly did not want to be trapped in the library for the entire night.

He slung his bag over his shoulder as he quickly makes his way towards the dormitories. But Sunggyu did not even take a few steps forward before he heard a piercing scream echoing the corridor he is in. Persuading himself to ignore the screams, he still manages to let his own curiosity overtake his judgment and went to pursue the voice. After making a turn around a corridor, he found a female student lying on the ground, seemly fainted out. He quickly rushes to her, nudging the student to wake up. When she did, she quickly snaps herself back into reality and quickly looks around her surroundings. Her gaze stops moving when she stared at a certain direction. She frantically retreats backwards while pointing at something behind Sunggyu.

Sunggyu turn his head to see what she is pointing to and that is when he experience fear for the first time. A looming shadow stood at the end of the corridor that seems to be wearing a cloak. It trudges closer and closer, releasing some kind of painful moan with each step. As the unknown figure steps into the moonlight, it showed the most grotesque thing Sunggyu has ever seen. The unknown ‘thing’ is a walking skeleton with some rotting flesh still hanging on its bones.

Sunggyu himself retreats backwards and found that the girl behind him is long disappeared, leaving him alone with the monster. The skeleton moves close to Sunggyu at a painfully slow pace, with its bones clattering with each other as it moves. He found himself trapped when he back against the wall with the monster just a meter away from him.  The monster raises its bony hands, preparing to impale Sunggyu.

With a scream leaving his own lips, Sunggyu’s vision blacks out. 

To be continued in Chapter 2: Dream


A/N

I never thought I will update this so fast >_< Probably I guess that the new subscribers and comments gave me the motivation to write it out! 

Romance won't be included for quite a few chapters however >_< 

Question to all: Want to guess what is Sunggyu's power? :D 

Until the next update! (Normally I update them daily or once every two days.)