One...

Eyes
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

The hallway was abuzz with confusion and turmoil, creating a dissonant din that seemed so out of place in their clean and sterile hospital surroundings. Jessica was still crying and the girls were crowded around her, trying to comfort her and understand the situation.

 

They too had surmised that something was not right. Lexi’s words to had struck a chord in them and it left them uneasy and troubled.

 

Mrs. Lee was wringing her hands nervously, her legs weak and quavering. The woman looked just about ready to crumple into a heap on the floor.

 

Mr. Lee was demanding to know what was going on. None of the girls had ever seen him so angry. He was throwing somewhat of an incensed fit at male nurses that had dragged them out.

 

“Those are my daughters! I need to be in there! Who the hell do you think you are?!”

 

Nayeong was gripping Dr. Kim’s arm tight, demanding that he tell her what he had been hiding. Jaesung suddenly wrapped Nayeong into his embrace, tears now freely streaming down his face. Then he pulled away. And for the third time in two days, the normally soft-spoken Jaesung took charge again.

 

“With some patients who have experienced extreme trauma, they recover for a short while. Then, their bodies start to slowly shutdown. We as doctors call this phenomenon ‘the surge’. We had hope that Lexi’s body wouldn’t do so. She’s young and her body is pliable and versatile. That’s why I stayed all of last night to keep an eye on her. I’ve been keeping an extremely close eye on her vitals. But when I checked this morning, they were already starting to slip.

 

From what I understand both Tiffany and even Lexi are aware of this possibility. They told me they had lost their brother in much the same way. But they both insisted on staying optimistic and charged me not to tell you the full situation.

 

When Lexi woke up this morning, and throughout the course of the day, she must have felt her body weakening and knew what to expect. So she started to say her goodbyes.  I hope you understand that she loves you all for everything you’ve done. But she wanted to spend her last moments with just her sister.

 

No one said anything.

 

Then before anyone could react or stop her, Nayeong had run up and slapped Jaesung soundly across the face.

 

“You’re lying! Lexi’s not dying! You lying bastard! I hate you! I hate you! I hate you! I HATE YOU!” Nayeong screamed and cried as she pounded Jaesung’s chest repeatedly in her anguish. Jaesung simply hugged the distraught woman tightly to his chest, stopping Nayeong’s strikes. He held her close and continually whispered forlorn ‘I love you’ ’s into Nayeong forehead, his own tears flowing down and mingling bitterly with Nayeong’s own. Together, the lovers held each other tight, using their shared warmth to try and ward off the creeping chill and grief that was threatening to overwhelm their hearts.

 

In the midst of all this, Mrs. Lee had collapsed in a dead faint and her husband, along with one of the male nurses were carrying her to the nearest cot. The eight girls were huddled in a bunch, looking like abandoned kittens no one wanted. Everyone was sobbing and weeping, their whimpers of sorrow sounding like keens of wandering ghosts in the hospital’s hallways. Taeyeon bit her lip so hard it was starting to bleed. She had to keep her composure; she couldn’t afford to fall apart now. The girls and especially Tiffany needed her to be a leader now more than ever. Taeyeon gathered the girls into a circle, their heads bowed and leaning against each other, their shoulders touching.

 

“She was there when we needed her. She never failed to step up to hold our hands when we needed comfort. She’s never asked for anything in return. But now she needs us. Tiffany needs us. Don’t let her see you broken. Don’t let her see you weak. Don’t let her see you fall. She’s losing her very reason to live. She can’t withstand to bear anything else. We can be weak together, but we must always be strong for her.

 

Right now it’s SNSD. From now on it’s SNSD. Forever…it’s SNSD.

 

Never forget that.”

 

Jessica buried her face into Taeyeon’s neck and muffled a sob. Nothing in Tiffany’s life had been easy, and now, it was only getting worse. Jessica had once promised a fearful Tiffany…

 

“Jessica…I’m scared. Scared of what I could lose next.”

 

“I am too…but I promise I’ll be there if it happens. A thousand times over Tiff...”

 

Tiffany had been there to hold when she was struggling to come to terms with their relationship. Tiffany had been there to make her feel loved and protected every step of the way. But now here she was, only able to watch as Tiffany lost someone that meant more to her than life itself. Jessica couldn’t even be beside Tiffany when she needed her most. Jessica had broken her promise and the ensuing guilt tore her apart from the inside out.

 

When will her suffering end?

 

 

No one left the hospital that night. They simply waited in the halls, waited for Death to walk amongst them and take away the life of an angel.

 

 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

 

 

“Stephie?”

 

“Yes babygirl?”

 

“How is it possible to miss someone even though they’re right beside me?”

 

“…”

 

“I miss you already Stephie…”

 

“…” Tiffany had thought she was done crying. But now she felt the hot searing sting of tears once again. She hadn’t cried since that last time at the restaurant with Nayeong and Jessica. And that had been different. Tiffany had held back then. But there was no holding back with Lexi. Tiffany had released years worth of emotions in these two days, the power of her tears was overwhelming and Tiffany had thought herself to be destroyed in the torrent of saltiness. Tiffany took one deep shuddering breath and it all sealed in.

 

She had no answer to give her babygirl. But Lexi didn’t begrudge her for that. They both understood the underlying meaning of Lexi’s words, and what was understood need not be said.

 

“Stephie?”

 

“Hmm?”

 

“Do you think mommy and daddy will recognize me? I’ve grown a lot…”

 

“You’re their kid you doofus, course they’ll recognize you.”

 

“Describe what mom was like to me again Stephie.”

 

“Mom was beautiful Lexi-belle. She had long light auburn hair that was wavy and fell to the middle of her back. Her eyes were a dark grey-blue, very piercing. You’d think her eyes sound cold, like ice, but they weren’t. She had flecks of amber in her eyes and it made you feel like the most special person in the world when she looked at you. She was the warmest, most loving person I’ve ever known. She was thin and slender, with warm honey-colored skin. You have her laugh you know? And of course, we both have her smile. You used burble and laugh and blow spit bubbles every morning when mom came to wake you up from your bed. You were happiest with her. You always were.”

 

“Daddy?”

 

“Dad had dark brunette hair. Green eyes that are slightly lighter than yours. A small spattering of freckles on his left cheek, closer towards the nose area. Grandfather was Greek. So dad had rather defined and strong facial features. He used to play varsity basketball and wrestled for leisure, so even when he got older, he was quite fit and built. He started to teach me wrestling techniques as young as five cause he wanted me to beat up any boys that ‘dared to be even slightly handsy’ towards me. He was fun and jovial and extremely protective, especially over me and you.”

 

“And he loved the play his guitar. I remember that.”

 

“Yes, he would sing you to sleep every night. I was his little princess, but you were his little angel. He loved you so much.”

 

“Dom…”

 

“…”

 

“Dominic Lukas Drewbrooke. Our oldest brother. Decorated first lieutenant of the military. The only biological child of Derek and Allison Drewbrooke. Tall and muscular. He suffered from depression and PTSD when he was called from service due to a tragic acci–”

 

“Stop! Stop Lexi…stop.”

 

“Then tell me what he was really like before he became what I knew him to be.”

 

“…He may have been strong, but he always had a gentle smile. He used to like to throw me and you up in the air and then catch us again.”

 

“I…I kind of remember something like that.”

 

“He was a doting brother and loving devoted son. Dom was the very

Please log in to read the full chapter