Forgotten

Eyes
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

After coffee, they took a bus to somewhere. Tiffany wouldn’t say where they were headed no matter how Jessica pouted and whined. The city soon disappeared behind them and the landscape became more rural as they went along. They soon arrived at a small town. Tiffany took Jessica’s hand and led her to a sturdy redbrick building.

 

Jessica heard the laughter of children come from somewhere in the back. She looked up to see the sign:

 

'Orphanage'

 

Suddenly Jessica understood everything.

 

Inside, Tiffany and Jessica wandered around aimlessly. Tiffany was subdued and quiet, and Jessica reckoned the girl just wanted to some time to think, perhaps even some time alone. Jessica leaned into Tiffany’s ear.

 

“Tiff, baby, do you want me to give yo–”

 

“No. Please stay,” Tiffany sounded reserved and a little sad.

 

So Jessica stayed, grasping Tiffany’s hand even tighter than before, hoping to perhaps provide some comfort.

 

They continued to wander until they came to the door that led to the courtyard. Most of the children were running around and chasing each other. Some were more subdued and were just sitting down in groups, playing little games or tinkering with toys.

 

Just then a middle-aged woman came out from one of the rooms. She spotted Jessica and Tiffany and made her way towards them. The woman had a kind smile on her face.

 

“Hi! Is there anything I can do to help you young ladies?”

 

Tiffany took a step forwards and looked intensely at the woman, like she was trying to discern something of utmost importance. To the woman’s credit, she let Tiffany visually dissect her. In fact, she didn’t seem put off at all by Tiffany’s rather creepy behavior.

 

“Do you remember me?” Tiffany finally asked.

 

The woman took one step back and looked Tiffany over.

 

“I knew that look. The moment I saw you I knew you were one of the kids who came back to visit. But I’m sorry, I don’t particularly recall you. Perhaps you can give me your n–”

 

“Hwang Miyoung. Dropped off at your door when I was barely even a week old. Adopted about three years later by a nice Caucasian couple. Allison and Derek Drewbrooke. They had a son with them. Dominic. Mom said I latched myself onto him. They adopted me the next day and took me to the States.”

 

“Ah yes…I do remember that couple!”

 

“But you don’t remember me.”

 

Jessica was surprised to hear a slight lilt in Tiffany’s voice. Tiffany sounded almost relieved and…content?

 

“I’m sorry…”

 

“Please don’t be. I don’t remember you either. In fact I remember next to nothing of my time here, and I am grateful for that. For me, life started when that couple took me home with them.”

 

“Then I am happy for you.”

 

“Me too.”

 

The wistfulness in that answer was unmistakable to Jessica’s ears. This was a rather bittersweet visit.

 

“Has anyone come looking for me while I’ve been gone all these years?”

 

“Uhh…yes actually…a woman in her thirties perhaps. She came looking for a Hwang Miyoung about two years ago. I remember because her child was sick and threw up all over the floor and on my shirt. Are you looking for your biological parents?”

 

“I made a promise to someone that I would. Did sh

Please log in to read the full chapter