Empty Nest

Eyes
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

“You’re sure you have everything? Did you pack th–”

 

“For the last time mom! Yes! I have everything! I’ve packed this that and those into every single iota of space left in my bags. And for goodness sake woman! Stop fretting! I’m not going to some god-awful place in the middle of nowhere! I’ll only be a twenty-minute drive away from you. You’d think with all your fussing and your nervous flailing fingers trying to pack every inch of this apartment into my huge duffle bags that you were sending your own kid off to college!”

 

“But I j–”

 

“No. You are not coming with me. You need to go to work. I’ll find my own way there. You’ve taken enough time away from the coffee shop as it is. If you don’t go back there you’re going to find the place on fire or something. I promise I’ll come and visit when I get settled and I’ll tell you all about how absolutely wonderful the place is and how my life is all so brilliantly bright and shiny. Ok?”

 

“Okok! I get it! I’m annoying. But please just remember t– shut your mouth right this instant and let me talk you rascal! Anyways, remember to try and smile, goodness knows that horribly stiff face of yours could use the exercise. Ask for help when you need it, don’t sleep too late and for goodness sake will you please at least try and be civil while you’re there? You’re joining late and you’ve skipped the entire recruitment process and gone straight into training, I have no doubt that is going to rankle some of those trainees and ruffle some feathers. I know full well that this will be more than hard to ask of you, b– I’m NOT DONE so don’t you dare walk out that door you ungrateful blockhead! I was just saying, you’ll have to act a little subservient to the other trainees if you don’t want them to make your life miserable. And both you and I know you have a preference for girls, and don’t get me wrong, I am all for gay pride, in fact I’ve shown you personally exactly how much gay pride I have. But this is Korea! You should know not to go prancing around with rainbows and whatnot and proclaiming your love for the ladies. Yah got me? Now stop rolling your eyes like you don’t give a damn and come give me a hug you !”

 

Tiffany sighed and strode over to envelope Nayeong in a hug. A real hug. Not one of those flimsy one-armed careless affairs, but a real tight-armed embrace. One that left the definite impression of one body pressed tightly into another, the exchange of internal heat as limbs wrapped around backs to eliminated all space from between two entities. Tiffany really knew how to hug, and Nayeong found herself sinking deeper into the embrace. So warm, so caring, so safe.

 

So she does give a damn.

 

“Thanks for everything. For…for putting up with this crude and coarse jerk and for…just thanks…Nayeong,” Tiffany breathed into the hollow that was Nayeong’s ear. The words were short, inelegant, and entirely not expressive of much but…they were somehow more than enough.

 

And that last breath, Nayeong’s own name whispered into her ear, it felt like a gift. This was only the second time Tiffany had addressed her by name. Usually the name was bypassed for some sarcastic equivalent that seemed stored and so readily flung out in spats of jokingly mocking conversation. The first time had been an appeal for Nayeong to accept an apology, but this time, this time was different. There was no motive, no intentions, just a simple “thank-you” out of gratefulness.

 

Nayeong felt hot tears swim into her vision, obscuring her view of the suddenly miraculously wonderful and loving world around her. This was silly. She really did feel like she was sending her child off to college. Bringing her hands up to rub lightly up and down

Please log in to read the full chapter