Unraveling

Eyes
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Three days later, it was Saturday, which meant no practice. Tiffany had gone on her usual morning run, sparred a few rounds in the gym and biked all the way home; all this before nine, which is about when Taeyeon would wake up on weekends. Jessica? Forget it.

 

Tiffany had picked up some breakfast on the way as she wasn’t feeling in the mood for cooking. When she got home, Taeyeon was just coming out of her bedroom. Tiffany set the food on the dining table and went to her room to get some clean clothes.

 

“Breakfast’s on the table,” she said as she passed Taeyeon in the hall. Taeyeon yawned sleepily, gave a dopey nod that reminded Tiffany of a bobblehead, and lurched haphazardly towards the dining table. After making sure the older girl made it safely to her destination, for she seriously looked like she was going to careen into the floor at any second, Tiffany went into the bathroom to shower.

 

When Tiffany came out twenty minutes later, she was surprised to see Officer Choi sitting at their dinning table, casually sipping a cup of coffee. Taeyeon was nowhere to be seen.

 

“What are you doing here Officer Choi?”

 

“Don’t you think we should dispense with the titles? We’re closer than normal law enforcers and citizens don’t you think?”

 

“Are you coming on to me?”

 

“What?! No?! Why does our conversation always end up like this?!”

 

“Cause I’m suspicious of all male advances.”

 

“Would it kill you to call me Jaden oppa?”

 

“Yes. I’d die a horrible, excruciatingly painful death.”

 

“Fine. Then do–”

 

“Can I call you Teddy?”

 

“What? Why?”

 

“You know…Officer Pedo-Bear…Teddy Bear…Teddy…”

 

“You must have been dropped on the head as a kid. You’re seriously messed up.”

 

“Abused. But you were close. So can I?”

 

“Oh…I’m sorry to hear that…”

 

“Don’t be. You didn’t answer my question.”

 

“…Fine. But only when it’s you and me.”

 

“Oh…so it’s like your booty-call alias?”

 

“Don’t push it kid…”

 

“Anyways, what happened to Taeyeon?”

 

“The little girl?”

 

“Yea…little girl…”

 

“Well she opened the door for me, took one look, then ran away and shut herself up in her room.”

 

“I think she likes you.”

 

“She’s not exactly my type.”

 

“What, she not young enough for you Teddy?”

 

“Yah!”

 

“So…what brings you here?”

 

“We found them. They admitted to everything too.”

 

“That’s great. Or…not?”

 

“No. They were hired, but they don’t know by who. Apparently the guy kept his face hidden. But they do know one thing, he frequents the underground too.”

 

“Oh…damn…”

 

“Did you piss off anyone while you were underground?”

 

“You mean who didn’t I piss off…”

 

“That bad huh?”

 

“Yea…I’m kinda big in the underground. You should be asking for my autograph.”

 

“How…involved…are you exactly?”

 

“Are you gonna arrest me?”

 

“No. Would have done that a long time ago if I was going to, now, wouldn’t I?”

 

“I fought there every night for about a week. Then that night with Gura. That’s it. But I’ll have you know, I kicked .”

 

“I know, I’ve seen you in action. The men at the precinct like to talk about you like you’re the hooded vigilante or something.”

 

“Wait…they don’t know what I look like? Wasn’t it caught on tape?”

 

“I may have…tampered a bit with the part that showed your face…just a little.”

 

“Teddy! You naughty boy! How shall I punish you?”

 

“Yah! No more ual innuendos. So really, no idea who?”

 

“Not a single inkling.”

 

“Ok. Well then, I should go, got some idiots to whip into shape. Call me if you need anything or if you think of something that will help. I’ll continue to keep an eye out.”

 

“Sure. See you around Teddy.”

 

“Yea, see you around kiddo.”

 

Neither were aware that their entire conversation was overheard by a certain brunette.

 

Tiffany…you got some ‘splainin to do…

 

 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

 

 

Later that night, Taeyeon had gone out to have dinner with her old school friends, leaving Jessica and Tiffany to their own devices.

 

Jessica had kept quiet most of the day, planning how to ask Tiffany about what she had overheard. For one, she knew Tiffany was a really private person, not one to share personal details. Ever. So Jessica didn’t know how Tiffany would react if she came out and started questioning. Second, she shouldn’t have heard the conversation in the first place, eavesdropping is wrong. So didn’t that automatically void her right to ask for answers?

 

“Hey Jessica, I’m going to head out and I’ll probably be home late, so don’t wait up. Just keep the door of your bedroom unlocked for me…Jessica? Jessica!”

 

“Oh! Yes?”

 

“Gawd, you really gotta stop spacing out like that. It’s not healthy. Perhaps you should get your brain checked out.”

 

“Oh shut up!”

 

“Anyways, as I was just saying before I was so rudely interrupted by your lack of brain waves…I’m going out and I’ll be back late.”

 

“Where are you going?”

 

“I feel like we’re in a relationship and you’re the clingy girlfriend and I’m the cheating boyfriend…but regardless, I’m meeting up with Nayeong tonight.”

 

“Oh! Can I come with? I haven’t seen Nayeong unnie in a while.”

 

“Ummm…”

 

They were interrupted by Tiffany’s phone.

 

It was Nayeong.

 

“Hey Yeongie!”

……….

“Yea, I was just headed out.”

……….

“Oh, yea sure, just come on up, doors unlocked. Yep, see you in a few.”

 

Tiffany hung up.

 

Jessica continued to look at Tiffany expectantly, waiting for an answer to her question.

 

“Ummm, Nayeong’s coming up right now. She says she wants to make sure we’re not living in squalor since she left.”

 

Tiffany had totally disregarded her question, but Jessica couldn’t help but smile. Nayeong was meant to be a mother. Her children would be loved beyond belief.

 

Just then the front doorknob rattled.

 

“Yah! Tiffany Hwang! I thought you said the door would be unlocked! Who are you h

Please log in to read the full chapter