A Doctor, A Police Officer, & A Girl Walk Into A Café

Eyes
Please log in to read the full chapter

Tuesday, December 27th 2022

 

 

 

 

“Hey Jae, been a while, how have you been man?”

 

“It’s ok, running the ER tonight and it’s thankfully not lit up like it was last week.”

 

“Between us, the city is starting to become cesspool for unseemly activity. We’re trying to crack down but it seems every hovel we uncover and shut down two or three more pop up in their place. And the wealth disparity is making people desperate. I’m sure you’re seeing that bleed into your OR as well.”

 

“Let’s not talk about these things, I think you and I see it enough on a daily basis to not also have to discuss it in our free time.”

 

“You’re right, sorry.”

 

“No don’t be sorry. Just been a rough week for us all I think. I can’t tell you how happy I am to see you tonight honestly. And where is she? She on her way?”

 

“Yea I offered to pick her up but she said she’d rather bike here. I know I know, you can ream her out when she gets here but you and I both know it will fall on deaf ears. Anyways, she should be here any minute now, she wasn’t coming from too far. I think we should talk to her about her c–”

 

“You know I agree with you Teddy, but we also both know it’s not going to be received kindly. It hasn’t before and it won’t be now.”

 

“Well we still have to tr–”

 

“Hey you two knuckleheads!”

 

“Speak of the devil…”

 

Tiffany slid into the seat next to Jaesung, taking off her jacket and taking a long satisfied sip of the vanilla hazelnut coffee Teddy had already got for her. She grinned at the hulking man sitting across from her in thanks, he shook his head but couldn’t help grin back.

 

It wasn’t unusual for a combination of the three to catch up over coffee in the dead of night. Sometimes it was just Tiffany and Jaesung, others her and Teddy, and she knew the two men also hung out when she wasn’t free. On good nights like tonight, all three would be able to make it. They frequented the 24 hour café near the hospital, which made it easy for Jaesung to rush back to work if he got a call. It was a habit the three had developed in the recent months. If Tiffany had trouble sleeping, she would sometimes come looking for Jaesung at the hospital if he were working nights, just to see if she could catch him for a quick coffee break and a chat. And if Teddy were in the area he would often join too.

 

The three of them were the only ones who kept odd hours. Granted Jaesung and Teddy’s situation were borne out of their job nature whereas Tiffany’s situation was borne out of insomnia. But the two men would much rather Tiffany do this than roam the streets, so they encouraged these impromptu meets. And if they were being honest, all three looked forward to these odd random coffee breaks themselves as well. It was something the three of them shared that perhaps no one else could understand or partake in.

 

“How’s promotions going for you and

Please log in to read the full chapter