Hero

Find My Voice

"And stay out!" Appa roared, slamming the door shut after you.

You grimaced, rubbing your cheek where he slapped you. It hurt. But you were used to it.

I probably did something to make him mad. I'll just wait until he calms down, then I'll apologize to him later.

Feeling optimistic and much more cheerful, you skipped down the street, whistling. You turned into an alleyway for a quicker shortcut to the market.

Your smile dropped slightly when you noticed five dangerous-looking college boys laughing and smoking. Keeping your head down, you quickly hurried on.

One of the boys noticed you, however. "Hey, cutie." He called out, flipping his bangs away from his face.

"Hello," you mumbled, a knee-jerk reaction. Blushing, you scurried on, trying to ignore their laughs behind you.

It didn't take long for you to realize that they were following you.

Trying to lose them, you ducked into another alleyway and emerged on the opposite street, which was filled with abandoned warehouses and empty stores. "Whoops."

You quickly turned around to try and get back to the busy streets, where people could help you, but one of them blocked the alleyway.

You turned around and gulped. They had surrounded you.

You gulped. "L-leave me alone!" You squeaked.

They all laughed. "Don't be like that, sweetheart." One boy said, winking. "Why not come hang out with us?"

Omigod, where's my pepper spray? You thought desperately. Then you remembered it was at home, next to your matress. Oh shoot.

You backed away, but that just made you go closer to the other boys. You yelped and jumped back into the middle. They snickered and moved in closer..........

Oh no, please. Oh god, please. Help me -- somebody! You squeezed your tear-filled eyes shut, flinching, waiting for what was coming to you.

You felt somebody touch you -- but not in the way you suspected.

You opened your eyes, tears dripping down your cheeks. A beautiful boy with serious, doe-shaped eyes was protecting you, one arm around your shoulder, the other held up in a fist. The nearest boy was somehow down on the ground, passed out, a nasty-looking lump on his temple.

"Yo, what the do you think you're----" The next boy couldn't even finish his sentence before Hyunseung kicked him, first in the groin area, then in his chest, pushing him to the ground.

The last three boys eyed him warily. "Hey, girly-man is actually pretty good. Surround him." One ordered, tossing his half-finished cigarette to the ground. They advanced on him.

"Hyunseung...." You whimpered, clutching at his shirt. Hyunseung held you tighter to him, his face cold and blank with fury.

In a couple of punches and swipes and kicks, the others were knocked out cold too.

Before you could say anything, Hyunseung turned around and quickly walked out of the abandoned street into the crowded street ahead, pulling you along with him.

Once you two were safe in the busy streets, he relaxed, although his grip around your shoulders never loosened. He breathed out, his face changing from anger to worry. He turned to look at you.

"Are you okay? Are you hurt? ~~~~~~?" He thought in horror, bending over to stare at your face.

"I-I'm fine, Hyunseung....." You started to say. He shook his head, reached a pale hand out, and your face.

His fingertips caught your tears, and he looked at the droplets, raising an eyebrow. You hurriedly rubbed them away, blushing. "I was just scared!" You insisted, red. "Just s-s-scare........" The pressure of it all hit you, and you buried your face in your hands, crying quietly, your shoulders shaking with sobs.

"I....I was....so.....so scared." You sobbed into your hands.

Hyunseung watched you, a bit surprised at your outburst, unsure of what to do. Slowly, he wrapped his arms around you and hugged you.

Your eyes widened. Hyunseung pressed you to his body tightly, your hair in an effort to calm you down. His throat convulsed as he tried to force out the words he desperately wanted to say to you. "It's okay. Don't cry. I'm here, I'll always be here for you. Everything will be okay, everything will be all right. So don't cry. It's okay -- don't cry. Please."

You relaxed into his body. You felt so warm and safe in his arms. You closed your eyes, smiling as your cheek pressed against the soft warm fabric of his jacket.

Hyunseung, embarassed, suddenly pulled away, his face bright red. You smiled. "Thank you, Hyunseung. You were so cool out there. You're my hero."

Hyunseung felt even more embarassed at your sweet words. What embarassed him even more was that he liked it -- he loved it, hearing you call him her hero.

"Is there anything I can do to repay you?" You stressed. "Anything?" Hyunseung quickly shook his head. Just knowing you're okay is good enough for me.

You frowned, unsure of what to give to him. "Oh....I got it!" Quickly, you stood up on your tiptoes and kissed his cheek. "Thank you again, Hyunseung! I owe you big time! See you tomorrow, my hero!" Waving, slightly pink in the face, you ran off.

Once out of sight, you gasped and clapped your hands over your rosy cheeks. Uwaaaaaaah! I can't believe I just did that! What came over me?

Hyunseung felt the spot where your soft lips touched his cheek. A wide, silly grin appeared on his face.

She kissed my cheek. She called me her hero.

So happy he practically danced for joy, he walked back to the orphanage. He felt like singing, if he could speak, which was strange. Even though he loved singing and dancing when he was younger, he never thought about it again until today.

Kisses can do wonders.

Blushing slightly, still smiling, he walked into the orphanage. He wanted to feel your lips again.