Rescue and Friendship

Find My Voice

"NO! DON'T JUMP!!!"

Hyunseung paused and turned around, eyes wide with surprise. Standing there, holding two grocery bags in each hand, was you. Your eyes were wide and scared-looking.

"Please, don't jump! Please! Just....um....l-let's just talk about this, okay?" You said desperately. Hyunseung didn't move.

"Don't jump! It's horrible! You'll die!"

But I want to die. Hyunseung thought, turning his head back and preparing to jump again. Then he hesitated and looked back at you. You were staring fearfully at him, biting your lip, obviously wondering whether to go after him.

If he jumped now, you would see everything.

I watched my dongseng die in front of my eyes. Hyunseung thought. It....killed me. Am I going to give the same punishment to an innocent pereson? Will I scar her for life? It was obvious looking at you that you weren't going anywhere.

"Please. Don't." You finally whispered, and Hyunseung stared at you. You looked so pure, so angelic, he could have sworn he saw a halo and a pair of wings around you.

Suddenly, he lost his nerve. He couldn't jump. Very, very slowly, he got off.

Immediately, you ran towards him, almost dropping the grocery bags. "Oh, thank goodness! I was so scared! I thought you really were going to jump!" You gasped in shock, clutching a hand to your chest. "Whew! What a relief!"

Hyunseung just looked at you, but inside him he was filled with turmoil. Why did you care so much? Who were you? What happened to the bruise on your arm? I want to know everything behind that sweet smile of hers....

You smiled at him. "Where do you live, Hyunseung? Do you want me to walk you home?"

Hyunseung shrugged his shoulders.

"What's your address?" You asked gently.

He tried to tell you "I live in an orphanage", but of course he couldn't get the words out. He struggled for a while, surprising himself. It's been a long time since he actually TRIED to talk.

You remembered he was mute. "Oh, it's okay! You can just walk, and I'll follow."

You and Hyunseung walked side-by-side together, you were singing happily to yourself. Hyunseung watched you in surprise. Only a few minutes before, you had almost witnessed a suicide. Now, you were smiling and singing and skipping down the street. When he saw a death, he never got over it.

Hyunseung stopped suddenly, and you bumped into him. "Oof." You rubbed your nose and glanced up at the sign that said SEOUL ORPHANAGE. "Aw, that's so sad. You're orphaned?" Your eyes grew wide and sad, but then your eyes lit up with a sudden thought.

"How about we become friends?"

Hyunseung looked at you in shock. Friends?

"I've never had a friend before." You said, clapping your hands in delight. "It'll be so much fun to be friends! Plus, I don't think anybody wants to be my friend at school." You smiled at him sweetly. "Can I be your friend, Hyunseung?"

Hyunseung felt a thrill down his back when you said his name. He nodded quickly, rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly.

You squealed with delight. "Thank you, Hyunseung! It'll be a lot of fun!" You looked at your watch. "Oh, I better get home, or else appa and umma will get angry!"

You ran down the street, but halfway down you stopped and turned back. Hyunseung was still watching you. You beamed at him and waved. "I'm really glad you didn't jump, Hyunseung!" You yelled happily, before bowing and waving and skipping off down the street again.

Hyunseung stared after you, as the last strands of your hair disappeared behind the corner. He felt something inside him, an emotion he thought he would never have: happiness.

He liked the thought of being your friend. It made him happy. The happiness didn't reach his face, but his eyes sparked with a dim light, unlike the blank expression he had before.

He was glad he didn't jump, too.