"I"

Find My Voice

Girls screamed in shock when you walked with Hyunseung to school.

"She already hangs out with him 24/7, now they're WALKING together?"

You blushed, your hand reaching up to touch the bandages on your face. You were embarassed.

Hyunseung noticed and pulled your hand down from your face, then wound his fingers through it. He gave you a smile that seemed to say "It's okay. I'm here."

You smiled at him, instantly feeling better. Your heart pounded in your chest at his touch.

Hyunseung always makes me feel better, even though he doesn't speak. I wonder why I always feel so safe around him........

A few girls came up to you at breaktime and started bullying you about your bandages.

"What happened to your face, ~~~~~~? It looks even uglier than it already is!"

"Don't be so mean, it's actually a much better improvement to her face."

"Were you trying to do plastic surgery? Whatever it is, it ain't working."

The girls cackled with laughter and tossed their hair. You ignored them and quietly doodled on your notebook.

"Yah, we're talking to you, !" One girl grabbed your notebook.

Instantly, Hyunseung was there, gripping the girl's wrist. The girls gasped.

Hyunseung glared at them all. "Get away from me and ~~~~~~~. NOW."

The girls got the gist of his words and, scowling, dropped the notebook and hurried away.

Hyunseung picked the notebook off from the floor and handed it to you.

"Thank you." You smiled, and he smiled shyly back.

The teacher appeared, slamming a pile of books onto the desk. "Everybody grab one!" He ordered.

No one moved except for you, who walked up and grabbed two books. You gave one to Hyunseung.

The teacher said it one more time, but everyone ignored him. Sighing, he passed the books out himself.

"Now, somebody start reading aloud from page 27!" He roared. He was definitely in a bad mood today.

Nobody moved. "Anyone?" He asked.

You were busy doodling on your notebook again, and didn't raise your hand.

The angry teacher turned his piggy eyes on Hyunseung. "JANG!" He barked. "STAND UP AND READ!"

Hyunseung's face paled. He slowly got to his feet and picked up the book.

Silence.

"WELL? READ!" The teacher sneered.

Hyunseung's mouth moved, but no words came out. His throat convulsed, and he turned even paler.

"WELL, JANG? I THOUGHT YOU ARE A HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT. IF YOU CAN'T EVEN READ A SIMPLE PASSAGE IN A BOOK, THEN WE MIGHT AS WELL SEND YOU BACK TO KINDERGARTEN!!!"

Hyunseung lowered his head in shame.

You stood up.

"What is it, Nam?" He snarled.

"That isn't very nice." You said quietly but firmly. Everyone stared at you in shock. You had never spoke back to a teacher before. "You know Hyunseung is mute. It's impossible for him to read aloud. If you are really a teacher, then you should know better than to harass a student like that."

The teacher's face turned purple. "F-FINE!" He barked. "THEN YOU READ FOR US, NAM!"

"Yes sir." You bowed, then started to read.

Hyunseung sat back down.

As you read, you caught his eye and smiled. He smiled back, filled with gratitude.

I love you, ~~~~~~. I want to say that to you. I want to be able to speak, so you don't have to protect me anymore.

********************************************************************************************************************************************

At the orphanage, you told Hyunseung to rest in his room when you went to go cook dinner in the public kitchen.

Hyunseung agreed for once, since he wanted to practice speaking.

Once you left, he took a deep breath and said "Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah".

This time, when he took a breath, he tried to change his vocal position to say "I".

"Haaaaaaaa"

"Haaaaaaaaaaaa"

It wouldn't work. Frustrated, he tried again.

This time, he managed to say "Haaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiii"

He smiled. That was good improvement.

He tried to drop the first few sounds.

"Haaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiii"

"Aaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiii"

"Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii"

A wide smile broke out. His throat was sore and it hurt from the effort, but he could do it. "I."

He laughed silently to himself in delight. "I!!!"

"I.....I.....I......I....." He repeated again and again.

The door opened, and you walked in carrying trays of food. "Dinner's ready, Hyunseung." You smiled. "What's up? You look really happy."

Hyunseung shook his head, still smiling. The two of you began to eat.

Only two words away from saying it, ~~~~~~~. Wait for me. Only two more words.

***************************************************************************************************************************************

Hyunseung can say "I"! OMG!

Wait a minute, why do I feel surprised? I'm the one that's writing this.......