Smile

Find My Voice

Two weeks had passed. You were very close to Hyunseung, who was your only friend. People bullied you and girls threatened you, people called you two a "couple", but you laughed it off. You always did.

You noticed Hyunseung was starting to show emotions. Every so often he looked like he was in pain, or he was thinking about something sad. He always looked mad when you came to school with new bruises or cuts. He was sometimes surprised or curious at the things you did, such as chasing dragonflies or talking to beetles. All of the time, though, he would stare at you.

Hyunseung's life was slowly starting to revolve around you. He ate lunch every day for you, and he hated seeing the bruises and bumps and blisters on you. It was sickening, and wrong, and it disgusted him, to have a girl so pure and angelic be disfigured by those things. He would get angry, but all it took was one word from you and a sweet smile, and he would forget his anger.

One Sunday, you were kicked out of the house by a drunken appa, so you decided to go walk around, trying to rub away the dull ache in your new bruise on your elbow.

You just so happened to bump into Hyunseung.

Your face brightened up. "Hyunseung! What a surprise!"

Hyunseung nodded, secretly extremely happy to see you.

The two of you walked to the park, where you sat on a bench and watched everyone play.

"Everyone looks so cheerful." You sighed happily. Hyunseung watched you.

Suddenly, your face lit up. "I know that bird!" You pointed to one of the dozens of robins chirping away in the treetops. Hyunseung looked at the bird, trying to figure out what was so special.

Very high and clear, you mimicked the chirping sound. The robin immediately flew off its branch and settled on your outstretched finger, tame as a normal house pet. Hyunseung's eyes grew huge.

"This is a friend of mine." You explained. The bird chirped happily on your finger. "He comes to my window sometimes and I feed him. Guess what his name is?"

Hyunseung shook his head.

You laughed in deligt. "I call him Seungie, after you, Hyunseung!"

Hyunseung felt a warm glow spread from his heart straight up into his head and down into his fingertips and toes. A warm, bubbly, comfy feeling, like drinking hot chocolate in front of a fire after being outside in the cold snow. He smiled at you: a quiet, shy smile. The muscles in his cheeks were stiff from the effort after not smiling for so long. And yet, the smile was stil beautiful. "Thank you."

You gasped, and the sound made Seungie fly away in surprise. You brought your hands up to your mouth and squealed. "Hyunseung smiled at me! I'm so happy! Hooray!"

Hyunseung felt his smile grow wider. You were so happy you couldn't contain yourself. You bounced up and down. "Hyunseung smiled at me!" You sang. "I'm so happy, I feel like we've gotten closer!" You hugged him.

Hyunseung stiffened in shock at this sudden feeling. He hadn't been hugged or hugged anyone for seven years. But after a while, he relaxed, and he realized he felt comfortable like this. You fit perfectly against his body, like a puzzle piece. He felt that warm glow again, except this time it made his heart pound and heat rush to his cheeks.

I don't know what you've done to me, Nam ~~~~~~~. He thought in wonder. I was a cold, emotionless mute only a few weeks ago. Yet here I am, hugging you, smiling. You've changed me. You are special, ~~~~~~~. You are special to me.