Find My Voice

Find My Voice

Hyunseung and Minji sat in the waiting room. Minji looked on the verge of tears, and her usual tough demeanor was gone. She looked like the sad, vulnerable girl she was.

Hyunseung was so pale he was almost translucent, and he was gripping his hands so tightly into fists his nails were cutting the skin on his palm.

If you died, just like how Geurim died, he would never forgive himself. If you died, he would jump off a bridge so he could be with you.

The doctor came in, and both of them jumped up. "How is she, doctor?" Hyunseung asked with a trembling voice.

The doctor looked exhausted and tired, but smiled weakly at them. "It'll be okay. She'll survive."

Hyunseung felt like crying from relief. Warmth spread through his body. Minji sank back down to her chair, laughing weakly. "Thank god."

"You are lucky the girl behind the wheel was drunk and high. She swerved at the last moment. If she had collided with Miss ~~~~~ straight-on, she would most likely have died from the impact. Hyuna was the girl's name, wasn't it?"

They nodded.

"Well, police caught up with her. She'll be in jail for a long time. You won't have to worry about her again."

The doctor then looked uncomfortable. "Er....well.....although all of Miss ~~~~~~'s wounds will be able to heal over time......there is one thing that is permanent......"

"What is it?" Hyunseung asked nervously.

"I'm sorry. When she hit the car, it crushed her voice box. She won't be able to speak for the rest of her life."

There was a shocked silence.

"From what I can gather from her.......she wants to see you, young man." The doctor said quietly.

"All right." Hyunseung swallowed. He walked into your room.

*****************************************************************************************************************************

Minji felt tears in her eyes. ~~~~~ won't be able to speak?

She felt a hand on her shoulder. It was Minsoo. "I heard about the accident and came over. Are you okay?"

"Yeah." Minji sniffed. "At least ~~~~~ will survive.......but her voice......"

Minsoo squeezed her shoulder softly. "I'm really sorry, Minji." He said quietly. "I'll wait for you at your apartment."

He walked away.

Minji hesitated, then ran after him. "Minsoo, wait!"

He stopped and looked at her. Minji turned red and mumbled, "I...I....I just....wanted to say hello."

Minsoo's expression softened. He smiled at her. "Want to go back with me?"

Minji smiled back shyly. "Yeah......okay."

The two of them held hands and walked out together.

******************************************************************************************************************************

Hyunseung walked into your room. You looked up at him.

Slightly blood-stained bandages covered your head and one of your eyes. It s down your neck and arms and legs.

You opened your mouth. You wanted to say his name, to say you loved him, but words failed you. You couldn't say anything. All that came out was air. You gulped and tried again. Tears ran down your face. You started to cry, silent sobs coming out of you.

You could never again say "I love you, Hyunseung."

Hyunseung sat down on the side of your bed. "Hey, ~~~~~~~, look at me."

You turned to him, shaking from tears.

He took your wounded hand. "~~~~~~, you know I love you. More than the world, more than life itself. I love you, and nothing will change that. I don't care if you can't speak anymore, I still love you. We'll work something out, you'll see."

You cried harder, as silent as ever.

He took your face in his hands and kissed you. "I promise, we'll still be as happy as ever before. We will still get married, have a family, travel the world, everything you've always wanted to do. We'll learn sign language, and so will our children. We'll still be happy."

You looked up at him hopefully, wishing it could be true. He smiled and dried your tears.

"It doesn't matter if I won't be able to hear your beautiful voice again, ~~~~~~. I will support you and love you through all of this, just like you did to me. I remember how dark and scary it was, when you couldn't use words to express yourself, but I will pull you through it."

He kissed you again.

"I will always be thankful to you for saving me, for helping me............I will always love you, ~~~~~~, because you made me Find My Voice. And even though you can't speak anymore, I will still help you find yours."

 

*The End*