Friends (?)

Find My Voice

The bullying appeared again. This time, another of the same note was in your locker, and they spilled maple syrup on your binder. You wiped it off, grimacing as the sticky goo went on your fingers and sleeve.

You ripped up the note and put it in the garbage can. You felt scared. Who was the person behind these threatening messages?

Frantically trying to get to class, you didn't notice a foot stick out and trip you. You fell, sprawling. Students burst out laughing.

You felt tears in your eyes. Your elbows and knees stung.

"What's the matter, goody-goody?" A girl hissed. "Your precious little Hyunseung isn't here to save you?"

She and her friends laughed and walked away.

Hyunseung appeared beside you, smiling, and holding out his hand. You smiled back, feeling your heart rate jump, and you shyly took his hand.

He helped you up. "Thank you." You said to him, curling a strand of hair behind your ear, blushing.

He gestured to the door. "Shall we go to class, ~~~~~~?"

"Yes, let's." You walked in together.

As you walked in, someone bumped hard against you. You yelped and dropped your notebook and pencil case in surprise. Your pencil case was accidentally open and your things flew everywhere.

"Oh NO....." Blushing as the class laughed around you, you and Hyunseung bent to pick up your things.

"Here you go." You looked up. The pretty face of Cube High's Queenka Kim Hyuna was smiling as she handed you a pencil.

"T-thank......you......?" Confused, you took the pencil. Since when did Hyuna ever talk to you? She was the prettiest and most popular girl in Cube High, and rumours said she was also the iest. She wouldn't have given you the time of day if you asked for it, yet suddenly she was down on her knees helping you pick up your things?

"Are you okay? Those people are jerks, aren't they?" She said, smiling. "Hello, ~~~~~~-ah, hello, Hyunseung oppa."

"Um....well....." You stammered, dazed.

"Here." She put the rest of your things into your pencil case and gently placed them into your arms.

"Thank you." You said, relieved. Hyunseung nodded to her and smiled. She was the first person besides himself to ever treat you so nicely, and he was thankful for it. He didn't know much about Hyuna (since he was practically a zombie before you came along) but he hoped you two could become friends.

She smiled back, and you noticed that she was smiling more at Hyunseung than at you. "Oh, it was my PLEASURE."

Shrugging, you made your way to your seat. Hyuna and her friend Gayoon sat behind you.

You felt an unnatural twinge of suspicion -- why was Hyuna suddenly sitting behind you?

You turned around to look at them. She smiled at you and leaned forward to whisper "Can we be friends?"

You froze. Friends? The Queenka of Cube High wanted to be friends with the least popular girl in the school?

She smiled at you. "I felt really bad seeing everyone bully you so. It made me feel sad."

Gayoon nodded. "Hyuna has been trying to get them to stop, but they don't listen to even her! Saddening."

They shook their heads.

"But maybe if we become friends, I can protect you from them!" Hyuna said brightly. "So?"

You nodded dumbly. "I....well....um---yeah, sure.....yes.....okay!" You stuttered, still not completely understanding what's going on. A smile broke out on my face as it sunk in. "Y-yes! Thank you!"

Hyunseung turned around too, and smiled at Hyuna again. "Thank you for being her friend. I think you made ~~~~~~~ really happy." He hoped she understood what he was trying to say, just like how you could understand him.

Hyuna smiled back at him, batting her eyelashes. Her smile was a bit more flirtatious than necessary. Hyunseung felt himself get uncomfortable by her smile, and quickly turned back around.

************************************************************************************************************************************

"~~~~~~~-ah, let's sit together!" Hyuna squealed, linking her arm with yours.

You felt happy. You've always seen girls do that out on the streets, or in the movies. This was the first time a girl has ever linked arms with yours before. Your first friend.

Hyunseung lingered nearby, uncertain. She smiled at him again. "Oh, you can come too, Hyunseung oppa." 

She led you to the table where her friends Jihyun, Jiyoon, Sohyun, and Gayoon were already sitting at. They all smiled and waved. "Hyuna! ~~~~~! Hyunseung!" They giggled.

Jiyoon grabbed your arm and pulled you into the seat next to hers. "Come sit with us, ~~~~~-ah!" She giggled. You nodded, smiling.

Then you looked around. "Oh....." There was no room next to you for Hyunseung to sit.

"That's okay, Hyunseung oppa can sit next to me." Hyuna said, sitting down. Hyunseung hesitantly sat down next to her.

You felt something clench in your stomach, but you shook it off. Don't be jealous, ~~~~~~. It just feels weird because Hyunseung always sits next to you. Don't be jealous...................if this feeling IS jealousy........?"

The girls turned their attention to Hyunseung. "So, oppa, how long have you known ~~~~~-ah for?" Jihyun asked, twirling her hair.

Hyunseung hesitated, then held up three fingers.

"Three months?" Gayoon asked. "That's not a long time. We've heard rumours about you two LIVING together, is that true?"

Hyunseung shrugged.

"Do you like ~~~~~~~-ah?" Sohyun giggled.

He turned red and stared at his hands. You felt yourself clench your spoon tighter than normal.

Hyuna glared at the girls. "Stop it, you're making Hyunseung oppa uncomfortable!" She smiled at him. "Sorry about them, oppa. They're too curious for their own good."

Hyunseung gave her a half-smile. Thank god she stopped them. I didn't want to declare my love for ~~~~~~ in front of these girls.

The girls chattered with him, and you felt left out. They were ignoring you COMPLETELY. Hyunseung felt a bit overwhelmed, but he wanted to be nice to your new friends so he complied with them. You just quietly ate your lunch.

"That's SOOOO interesting, oppa-----OOPS!" Hyuna said, as she dropped her fork. She giggled. "I better go get it."

She bent down slightly and reached with her hand. Hyunseung froze and shivered when she felt her hand slide down his knee.

"Oops, sorry." She whispered, looking up at him through her thick, long eyelashes. He nodded, feeling extremely uncomfortable.

She picked her fork back up and straightened up, and started talking again as if nothing had happened.

Hyunseung glanced at you. Why weren't they talking to you?

The bell rang. Hyuna glanced at you in surprise. "Oh, ~~~~~~-ah, you're here!" She laughed. "You're so quiet, I forgot you were there!" Her friends laughed too.

You gave them a smile as well, but you felt that weird feeling again. Why do I feel like that's not the case?

*******************************************************************************************************************************************

Ha I changed my mind. The super-long chapter is now in two parts.......The second part is much more dramatic, but it's coming up in a few minutes anyways. DUH-DUH-DUH-DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH