Lost My Voice

Find My Voice

"Oppa! Oppa, hurry!" The little girl giggled, tugging on her oppa's hand. "Oppa~~~~......"

"I'm coming, Geurim, calm down!" Hyunseung sighed, smiling and laughing a little.

His little sister was hard to handle, especially since he was only ten years old and he had no parents. Hyunseung and his little sister Geurim lived in Seoul orphanage. Today, though, since it was Guerim's birthday, Hyunseung decided to take her to the park.

"Don't run around, Geurim. Hold oppa's hand." Hyunseung said strictly as they walked outside. The happy little girl bounced up and down on the spot -- she was so excited. "Hurry, oppa! You're so slow!"

"The park isn't going anywhere, Geurim. Just calm down." Hyunseung said, irritated. He had a headache today. The teacher yelled at him for sleeping in class, and made him scrub the cafeteria floor as punishment. The other bullies purposefully threw up and dumped food all over the floor for him to clean up.

He wasn't in the best of moods, but he was trying his best to be nice to Geurim on her birthday. Today, however, his patience was running low.

"Oppa! Hurry up!" Geurim screeched. Hyunseung finally lost his temper.

"GEURIM! BE QUIET ALREADY! STOP BEING SUCH A BRAT! YOU'RE SO ANNOYING!" He yelled angrily. 

Geurim's eyes widened and filled with tears. Her lip trembled. She pulled away from him and ran down the street.

Instantly, Hyunseung felt bad. Oh man, look what I've done now. I went and ruined Geurim's birthday. I need to make it up to her -- it's not her fault everyone in the orphanage hates me. She's my only family, I need to apologize...........

Running after her, Hyunseung yelled "Geurim! Geurim! I'm sorry, okay? Oppa's really sorry! Come back! It's dangerous!"

Geurim ignored him, running off down the street.

"Geurim!" Hyunseung yelled desperately. "Oppa will buy you ice cream, okay? Just come back!"

Geurim instantly stopped and hesitated, bribed by the ice cream offer. But she had stopped -- in the middle of the road.

Hyunseung felt his heart shoot up into his throat and drop into his stomach. "No.....no! Geurim! Geurim, don't just stand there! Come over here! Come to oppa!"

A truck was speeding down the road, the driver on the phone, oblivious to the tiny little girl in front of his truck.

"Ice cream? Oppa will buy me ice cream?" Geurim asked doubtfully.

"GEURIM!" Hyunseung yelled, pushing himself to run faster to her, even though his lungs were burning and his legs screamed with the effort. "Geurim, get over here now! Don't just stand there! Please, Geurim----Geurim-----GEURIM, NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Geurim turned around to see a truck heading straight for her ---- she screamed, high-pitched and shrill, making the hairs on the back of Hyunseung's neck stand on end...........the truck's horn blared, the tires squealed...............Geurim sailed through the air.............she landed hard on the pavement, a sickening crack was heard..........

"No......" Hyunseung whispered. He ran over to her crumpled figure, lying in an increasing puddle of her own blood. "No, Geurim.........Geurim........."

He bent down next to her and lifted her up slightly. Her eyes stared up at him with fright, eyes that were blank and no longer saw anything. was slightly open, a trickle of blood dripped down her chin and onto her white dress.

People all around Hyunseung was crowding around, screaming or taking pictures or calling the ambulance. But Hyunseung didn't hear them.

"No....no...." His voice broke and shook with sobs. "Geurim.....Geurim......oh no, Geurim please.....p-ple......"

But Geurim didn't answer, and she never will. Her face still held the after-effects of her shock, her fright........Hyunseung lifted up one of his hands and stared at it in horror. Geurim's blood had dyed it red.

"Geurim.....Geurim, GEURIM!!!!" Hyunseung screamed, tears running down his face. "GEURIM, NO----NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!"

He bent down, clutching his head in pain. "Uuuhhhh.......uh-aaaaaaaaah.....ah.......uwaa......UWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!"

Jang Hyunseung, ten years old, orphaned.

That was the last time he ever smiled.................and the last time he ever spoke.