The Surprise Visit

The Black Phoenix
o=o=o
 
Jiyong had his hands inside his pockets while keeping his head bowed as he headed towards the library. Passing by the school grounds, a familiar laugh vibrated in his ears. He paused and looked across the grounds. A small smile formed in his lips upon seeing Dara laughing out loud. But the smile was soon replaced when saw the people accompanying her – two male and one female. He recognized the guys from his class, though he can’t remember their names. He felt something boiled inside him. Heaving a deep sigh, he ignored the boiling feeling and shook the dark thoughts on his head. Just as he was about to walk away and head to the library, he was once again brought to a halt.
 
“DARAA!” Seungri’s familiar voice entered his ears.
 
 
Dara paused then blinked. Turning her head around, her eyes grew wide upon seeing who dropped by for a visit. “Seungri!” she ecstatically greeted, standing up and jogged towards the guy. She locked him in a tight hug, laughing. When she pulled away, the two of them started jumping up and down on their places like grade school kids. “What are you doing here? Where are the others?”
 
“I just thought of dropping by” he winked. “And I came alone”
 
“Kyaaaaa! I missed you! Aigoo! How’s Bom? How’s Youngbae? How’s their baby? How’s CL? And how are you?”
 
“Whoa, slow down” he chuckled. “I missed you, too by the way. Everyone else is okay”
 
“That’s nice to hear” she smiled. “Come, I’ll introduce you to my new friends”
 
The guy’s smile froze upon seeing the people just a few feet back. When Dara started pulling him, he didn’t budge. With a frown he asked, “Does Jiyong know you’re befriending other shadows?”
 
“H-ha?” Dara blinked. “S-shadows?”
 
Silence filled them as Seungri exchanged measured stares with the three. Dara on the other hand, had her head going back and forth to Seungri and to her new friends. Understanding then dawned on her below-sea level intellect as what Jiyong calls it.
 
“Omo!” she gasped, eyes wide while staring at TOP and Daesung. “You two are. . . . shadows?” she breathed.
 
“Oh, so you’re aware of our existence” TOP snorted.
 
Her eyes went wider. “You really are a shadow!”
 
“So what if I am?”
 
Dara’s eyes sparked with amusement. “Does that mean you turn into a crow, too?”
 
“Of course he does, you stupid spoof girl. Every shadow does” Jiyong finally came in, walking lazily to the group of people across the ground.
 
“Pan – Jiyong!” the stupid spoof girl beamed brightly and was about to throw herself at him when she suddenly remembered his rule of not showing any affection in school especially when there are other people around.
 
Jiyong gave her a tiny nod before turning his gaze on Seungri. “What are you doing here?” he asked.
 
“Just visiting” Seungri shrugged.
 
He eyed him carefully. “Let’s talk” he said, motioning his head to the side.
 
“Can I come?” Dara hopefully asked. “I want to have a chat with Seungri, too”
 
“Maybe some other time” Jiyong answered.
 
“B-but. . .”
 
“I’ve got something to discuss with him”
 
“Fine” she sighed and pouted, making Jiyong exhale harshly. She quickly covered and gave him an apologetic look. She forgot about what her pout does to Jiyong.
 
His face softened then. With a sigh, he took her hand off and gave it a little squeeze. “See you later” he smiled, making her blush to the roots of her hair. He pulled off his eyes from her and looked at the people whom Dara calls friends. After giving them a much measured look, he let go of her hands and turned away with Seungri walking by his side.
 
“See you” Dara dreamily waved.
 
“You’re out of your mind” TOP told her, standing beside her.
 
“Did you see the look in his eyes when he took my hand? Aigoo! And he said we shouldn’t display affection to each other publicly. Aigoo, aigoo” she giggled.
 
“How can you giggle like that when he just called you stupid a while ago?” he scoffed. “In front of other people, that is?”
 
“Eh?” she asked blankly, still staring up ahead with a dreamy look on her face.
 
“I said Jiyong called you stupid”
 
“Yes, he did” she smiled, totally off the hook.
 
“And you just let him do that?”
 
Her rational thinking slowly went back to her. She narrowed her eyes at him. “Are you sure you’re not gay? You’re really suspicious, you know”
 
“Not again” TOP groaned.
 
 
 
JIYONG’S POV
 
“What really brought you here, Seungri?” I asked as I leaned against a tree.
 
“I told you, I’m just visiting” he chuckled.
 
“Okay” I shrugged. “What else?”
 
He didn’t say anything. I looked at him closely, my eyes tracing the line of the scar he got from Youngbae’s claws. Scars were always ugly. I was pretty lucky mine were hidden. I can’t understand why Dara can bear kissing my scars. Seungri’s been always confident about himself even after a part of his face was scarred, it didn’t seem to bother him. But looking at him now, there’s something unsure about the way he held himself.
 
“How’s Bom and Youngbae?” I asked.
 
“They’re fine” he answered, looking relieved at the change of the topic. “Bom’s. . . been acting different lately, though. She’s acting like a child. I don’t get how Youngbae keeps up his patience with her but he does. He’s also doing some part time stuff in the cannery”
 
“Youngbae’s been always the patient one among the three of us. I think if we hadn’t known him, we could have ended up killing each other” I snorted.
 
“Ha, sure he is. But wait ‘til Dara gets pregnant. She’ll be a trillion times worst than Bom” he laughed. “But oh well, maybe not since you’re not really a family type of guy”
 
I sighed and chose to ignore his attempt in pissing me off. “How’s CL?”
 
The liveliness in his face suddenly disappeared. I mentally congratulated myself for hitting on the right spot. Among the three of us, I already expected Youngbae would be the one to settle down first. Seungri’s the least person I thought that’d be caught in the throes of. . . the L word. Like me, we didn’t really believe such thing existed, at least romantically. But just like what my spoof girl told me, never underestimate the power of love.
 
I’ve never noticed it before, maybe because I simply didn’t care. Or maybe I was just too stubborn to see what’s going on between Seungri and CL. But now that I think of it, they started way off before Bom ordered them to act as a couple in front of Youngbae. Ha! Maybe it’s because that below-sea level intellect girl opened my eyes and made me a bit sensitive to others.
 
“She’s leaving” he finally said. “Her aunt offered her to shoulder her education in. . . Canada. I think she’ll finish her high school studies there, too. Funny, I actually came here to see Dara because well, you know how funny she could get. I was hoping that by this time, I’m laughing my head off already but here I am, talking to you”
 
“What are you planning to do?”
 
“I’m not planning anything”
 
“You’re just going to let her leave” I concluded.
 
“I don’t have any reason to stop her” he quietly said. “And even if I do have a reason, I don’t think she’ll stay if I ask her to” he added with a chuckle. “Enough about me. How are you and Dara?”
 
“We still argue on small things. But what can you expect? From the very beginning, she’s been a constant headache to me and she hasn’t changed a bit. Only, she became naughtier and more stubborn than before” I told him with a frown.
 
“Naughtier?” he scoffed. “Should I expect wedding bells soon, then? Or little Jiyong and Dara?”
 
I glared at him. “She’s on pills”
 
“Oh” he chuckled. “Being safe, huh? But what if she’d want to start your own family?”
 
I growled. What the ? I can’t believe he’s talking about building a family to me. “Do you want to have another scar, Seungri?”
 
“What now? I’m just asking” he came. “If you don’t want to have a family with her, then I’d be more than willing to be your proxy. I’ve always thought she’s really beautiful and – hey! I’m just joking!”
 
“It’s not funny!” I gritted and let go of his throat.
 
“Are you really this violent now?” he coughed.
 
I sighed and looked away. I knew he was joking but. . . aish! I don’t know what came to me. I’m not becoming. . . possessive, am I? If that spoof girl learned about this, she’ll definitely go berserk and dance that stupid washing machine dance of hers again.
 
“Sorry” I heard myself mumble.
 
“Oh, so you know how to say sorry now, eh? Well. . . I guess you’re just in love, huh?”
 
“It’d be better if you’ll just leave” I growled.
 
“What’s with the other shadows Dara’s hanging out with?” he changed.
 
I frowned again. “Those two are in the same class with me. I’m not so sure about the female” I said.
 
“Did you introduce Dara to them?”
 
“I don’t even know their name” I spat.
 
“Ah, so she really is a shadow magnet, huh?” he chuckled. “I think you should guard her tightly. I can sense some shadows will lurk around her pretty soon. A shadow for a rival isn’t healthy”
 
“Are you trying to get yourself killed?” I asked. “I fell like cutting your tongue out now”
 
“Yeah, right. Like you didn’t become suicidal before, attempting to kill yourself every now and then. It was really tiring running after you all the time”
 
“So you’re really getting yourself killed” I snorted.
 
He rolled his eyes. “That reminds me. Does Dara know about this school?”
 
“No” I quickly answered. “Surprisingly, her reaction towards Sohee isn’t as welcoming as how she was with Bom. All thanks to you”
 
“What did I do?”
 
“Innocence doesn’t suit you” I grimaced.
 
“She’ll find out soon, you know”
 
“I know that but you know why I have to study here. And you know how clingy Dara could get”
 
He was quiet for a while. “I heard there are some political issues and conflicts going on with the royalties. Is it true?”
 
“Yes” I nodded. How can I not know when I’m the cause of the said conflict? Then, the cancelation of my engagement to Sohee added up to it. I grimaced at the thought of the word ‘engagement’. I feel like puking.
 
“How’s Sohee by the way?”
 
I shrugged. “Haven’t talked to her for months”
 
“She must be really pissed.
 
“And your point is?”
 
“Never mind” he said, shaking his head. “I better leave. You still got some classes, I presume?”
 
I gave a tiny nod as an answer.
 
- - -
 
I stretched out and settled the book I’m reading down. I glanced at the clock for the nth time. It’s already seven in the evening but she’s not yet here. I’ve been itching to call her or should I saw I’ve been waiting for a call from her. My eyes darted to my phone. As I was about to reach it, I heard the gentle opening and closing of the door.
 
“Pancake, I’m home!”
 
I stood up and went to meet her. “Where have you been?” I questioned at once, my arms across my chest.
 
She went up to me, wrapped her arms around my neck and tiptoed to reach for my lips. “I went to watch TOP, Dae and Minzy in their choir practice” she said after breaking the kiss. “I can’t believe TOP’s a member of that club”
 
“TOP?”
 
“He’s your classmate. The one you saw with me a while ago? The tall, handsome guy?”
 
“I don’t pay much attention to other people” I grimaced. “Since when did you become interested in choir singing?”
 
“I heard the school pays the choir members. I was actually planning to audition but TOP said I should not do it if I don’t want to embarrass myself”
 
“Hmm” I thoughtfully mumbled.
 
“He’s really blunt” she nodded. “Oh, speaking of, TOP mentioned something about the school and he said I should ask you because you know the details more than him. What is it?”
 
“Have you eaten already? I prepared a-”
 
“TOP treated me out in a family-run restaurant called Eating House. Weird name, huh?” she chuckled. “We should go eat there one time”
 
“No thanks” I grimaced and pulled her arms off me. With a growl, I turned around and walked away.
 
“Ya! What’s with that face?” she asked, trailing behind me.
 
“Mind your own business” I mumbled.
 
“What?”
 
“Nothing” I waved off and dropped myself back to my chair.
 
“You’re really being rude again. TOP even said so”
 
My jaw clenched but I kept my silence.
 
“We’re not fighting, are we?”
 
“No”
 
She heaved an audible sigh. She took the book from my hand and settled it aside. She then sat on my lap, sideways. Wrapping her arms around my neck, she rested her head on my shoulder. “I love you, Jiyong”
 
I sighed. “Are you planning to me again?”
 
She laughed. “That’s a very entertaining idea” she said, nipping on my earlobe.
 
Oh damn! I shouldn’t have said that. Aish! Now she’s abusing my lips. Lifting her up so she could straddle me, I let her kiss me. As soon as she was straddling me, she became wilder and aggressive that I feel like the corners of my lips are badly bruised now.
 
“Hey. . .” I exhaled. “Slow. . . down”
 
“No way” she refused. “You’ve been. . . mmm. . . rejecting me lately”
 
o=o=o
 
AUTHOR’S POV
 
The stillness of the dimly lit room was disturbed as a shadow appeared out of nowhere. His eyes scanned the room. It was hardly equipped and soon enough, this room would be nothing but an empty space. With a weary sigh, he let his eyes land on the girl peacefully sleeping on the bed. Without taking his human form, he slowly glided towards the bed. He stared at her face quite intently, as if memorizing every detail of it. He used to call her ‘my karma’ in his head. And she just proved that she is indeed his karma. If only she’d give him just one day, just a day, maybe he won’t be this miserably. . . hopeless. No matter how hard he tried, he always ends up losing against her. She always wins.
 
At his own risk, he took his human form and sat at the edge of her bed. With trembling hands, he reached out to brush the few strands of hair that fell into her face. He then gently caressed her face. A small smile curved his lips. He remembered the first time they met, they were still kids. He really thought SHE was a HE. He even made her as his best buddy. But when he found out his best buddy was a girl, their friendship just drifted apart. He can’t believe he thought she was a boy before. She did look like a boy before, though. But that was before. Now, she already changed.
 
His hand paused and slowly, he pulled it back. He shouldn’t linger, he knew that. If he stays any longer, he might do something stupid like asking her not to leave. For sure, he’ll only earn scars far worst than the scar in his face if he took that risk. With a sigh, he stood up.
 
“Goodbye, Chaerin”
 
----------
 
Aigoo! Mianhe for the typo and grammar errors!!
 
Ha! Comment replies posted on youyr walls!!
 
hehe.. ooh, so everyone's waiting for Sohee, eh? hehe.. sorry to burst your bubble but she's still MIA for the next 6 chappies or so.. hehe..
 
by the way, check these banners out!!
 
by anonymoes!
Crazy Little Thoughts by anonymoes
Tug Of War by anonymoes
 
thank you thank you!!
 
xoxo
hagocimit
 
*banner for this chap's by yummyaznhotties