The Unexpected Twist

The Black Phoenix

*banner by MinAnYong

------

o=o=o
 
DARA’S POV
 
Being in love with Kwon Jiyong is like life itself. There are lots of ups and downs along the way but no matter how unpredictable it is, I just keep on loving him just like how people live life even if there’s uncertainty for tomorrow. I also got some confusion along the way. There are times that I prefer his rudeness than his sweetness but there are times that I’d rather see the latter than the former. We still bicker, of course. I learned to accept it as a part of our relationship. I also know that he’s not the type of person who speaks his feelings out. He speaks his mind out sometimes alright but when it comes to his feelings, he always turns mute.
 
As a girl, it’s normal for me to want to hear some compliments from him or hear him say the magical three words. But like I said, when it comes to his emotions, he turns mute. I’m trying to work on to change that part of him and I know I’m having progress already.
 
“Hey spoof” TOP’s deep voice broke into my thoughts.
 
“Don’t call me that” I grimaced. I feel like he’s stealing some endearment from Jiyong. Aigoo. I’m weird, I know. “What do you want?”
 
“Are you still up to do some part-time thing?” he asked. “There’s a store that’s in need for a night shift duty since their employee got sick and all”
 
Anticipation suddenly built up inside me. “Really?”
 
“Yeah” he nodded. “It’s for two or three nights, I think. And since it is weekend tomorrow, I thought of recommending you. The manager’s already expecting you to come later, actually”
 
“But. . . but I don’t have-”
 
“The manager already said yes” he cut off. “You already got the shift”
 
I bit my lower lip. Oh, I want this! I want to earn MY own money to buy Jiyong a present for his birthday. I know it’s still some weeks away but still, I want to be prepared for it, financially, at the least. The only problem is Jiyong himself. He made it clear that he didn’t want me to take any part-time jobs. He’s been giving me money alright but on my part, it’s really embarrassing to be financially dependent on him. My former boss, Han Eul offered me financial help but I declined. She already helped me a lot before and I don’t want her to think that I’m taking advantage of her kindness.
 
“Why are you hesitant?” TOP asked. “Oh, it’s your boyfriend, isn’t it? He can’t really do anything once you started it already, you know”
 
“He’s just worried about me” I defended my pancake. “He thinks I’m too thin to handle extra things on my hand”
 
“Worried?” TOP snorted. “Maybe he’s just not confident that you can do something on your own. No offense but you seemed to be depending on him on everything, even in decision making”
 
“That’s how a relationship should work” I said, glaring at him but he seemed unperturbed.
 
“Okay” he shrugged. “If you don’t want the job, I’ll just go find someone else. And I was told that they’re willing to pay double since it was a last minute notice and-”
 
“Fine!” I snapped. “I’ll take it. I can do things on my own, you know. I already worked in a shop before”
 
TOP smirked. I guess shadows will be shadows. That’s the thing about shadows that I noticed. They all exude a mysterious and arrogant aura. Well, except maybe for Youngbae. He didn’t appear arrogant to me at all.
 
“It’s on then”
 
“You bet it is” I said. “Where’s that store anyway? It’s not in Road 96, is it?”
 
“No. It’s just five blocks from here” he said. “I can walk you there if you want”
 
“Would that be okay with you?”
 
“Of course” he answered.
 
“What time am I needed, anyways?”
 
“7” he said. “You still have time to freshen up. I could pick you up from your place then we’ll walk to the store to-”
 
“Oh no” I cut him off. “I’ll just meat you at the Eating House”
 
“Why?” he snorted. “Afraid that you’re boyfriend might get jealous of my good looks?”
 
“My Jiyong is way too handsome compared to you” I said, rolling my eyes.
 
“Oh, really?” he cynically asked.
 
I rolled my eyes again. “Okay, so maybe you’re a teeny weenie bit on the advantage compared to him but I tell you this, he’s not the type of person who cares of what he or YOU looks like”
 
“We shall see about hat” he winked.
 
“Die in vain” I laughed.
 
“I find your laugh cute”
 
I paused. “Are you trying to make a move on me?” I asked. “Because it’s not really working!” I finished with another laugh.
 
“Oh, damn!” he said, feigning a disappointed look. “And I thought I was making progress”
 
I gave another round of laughter at the comical look on his face. “Oh boy, a shadow with a weird sense of humor. How refreshing!”
 
“I don’t have a weird sense of humor” he contradicted. “You’re just shallow”
 
“You-” I started but stopped when the school bell rang. “Oh. See you later. Say hi to Dae for me”
 
- - -
 
I’ve been thinking of ways on how to tell Jiyong about the job. But fate was being kind to me because even before I could tell him about it, something came up. His mother called and asked him if they could meet and talk some ‘things’ over dinner. I haven’t really had the full story yet. I didn’t bother asking since he seemed uptight and stiff about it. I have however, a bad feeling about the TALK that’s about to take. But I have faith in Jiyong. I know he won’t drop me off. I mean, after all the things we went through, I don’t really think any of us would have the guts to do that to each other.
 
“Don’t wait for me. This might take long” he said and walked away.
 
“Ya!” I called. He was as always, geared in a black shirt, black hoodie, black pants, black shoes – well, you get the picture. The only item he’s wearing that’s white happened to be the necklace with the white angel pendant I made. “You forgot something, I believe”
 
“No, I’m all cleared” he waved off.
 
“Kwon Jiyong!” I called again, trying my very best to be stern. He sighed wearily and turned to face me. Growling a little, he shortened the distance between us. Cupping my face in between his hands, he then reached for my lips. My mouth parted at once even before our lips touched. And when our lips did touch, the familiar wave of contentment hit me again. His hands then went down to my waist. As he did, he pulled me closer to his body and deepened the kiss. Oh dear, there goes the loud pounding of my heart.
 
But then, Jiyong broke the kiss. “Ah spoof, you’re such a distraction” he said, shaking his head.
 
“I’ll take that as a compliment” I grinned.
 
He shook his again and patted my head gently. “Behave”
 
“Okay” I smiled. But deep inside, guilt was filling my system. I shook the dark thoughts away as the door closed. He’ll understand it if I explain the reason properly. That’s right. He WILL understand me.
 
Err, I hope so.
 
I took a deep breath and changed into a casual get up. I checked the time. I wonder if TOP’s already at the Eating House. Aish! I should have asked for his mobile number. How could I ever forget that detail? Oh well, I’ll just ask him later. Okay, I need to go now.
 
 
The weird feeling of being watched came to me again as I headed towards the Eating House. But I know I’m just imagining things again. I smiled at the thought of Eating House. It sure is a weird name. But the foods there are great! I should bring my pancake there sometimes. I’m sure he’ll love it, too.
 
“Hey spoof”
 
I squeak and jumped in my place upon hearing a deep voice. Belatedly recognizing it as TOP’s. I turned around and him smirking at me. “Ya! Why did you sneak up on me like that? And what are you doing here? Aren’t we supposed to meet at the Eating House?”
 
He shrugged. “Let’s go”
 
“Nice show of attitude” I grimaced. “How’s Daesung and Minzy?”
 
“Great”
 
“Are you being sarcastic?”
 
“Nope”
 
I narrowed my eyes at him but decided to let it go. “Oh, before I forget. Can I get your mobile number?”
 
“Why?” he asked. “You’re not planning anything bad, are you?”
 
“The nerve!” I exclaimed. “Just give me your number”
 
“And you’re using force now, eh?” he chuckled. “Hand me your phone”
 
I handed him my phone. He paused for a while and looked at me with raised brows. “What?” I asked.
 
“Your wallpaper’s distracting”
 
My eyes narrowed. “You are so getting gay over Jiyong, aren’t you?”
 
“No, I’m not” he said, rolling his eyes in a way that reminded me of how gays roll their eyes.
 
I chuckled lightly. “He looks like an angel there, doesn’t he?”
 
“Everyone looks like an angel when they’re sleeping. Daesung even said I looked like a baby angel when I’m sleeping”
 
“I don’t believe you” I countered. “Only my pancake can pull off a look like that”
 
“Whatever” he scoffed, handing my phone back to me.
 
“I’ll send you a message. Save my number too, okay?”
 
“Did you really court Jiyong?” he asked as I typed a message.
 
“Message sent” I said before answering his question. “I confessed to him first so. . . .” I added off with a shrug.
 
“What did you like about him?” he went on as we started walking. “No offense but he isn’t really that good looking”
 
“You can’t base everything on what a person looks like” I sternly said. “And besides, Jiyong is handsome, cute and y in his own way”
 
“Okay” he quickly came up. “But what made you like him?”
 
I didn’t answer at once. What made me like Jiyong? I tried to search my mind and memories for that particular reason. “I’ve always been intrigued by the mystery and gossips surrounding him. I guess that kind of lured me to watch him when he’s not looking. My family and I just moved in there so I was eager to make friends and well, at that time, befriend Jiyong would be social suicide so I just contented myself in watching him whenever he’s around. But after that one time when he helped me, I just. . . I just can’t keep myself away from him. It’s like there’s a force pulling me towards him, like gravity or magnet or like. . . it’s hard to explain. And I also enjoyed the fact that no matter how I piss him off, he never became the guy the gossips were saying. Sorry, I’m not really answering your question, am I? Haha. It’s really hard to explain. I just know that one day when I woke up, I realized I’m in love with him”
 
TOP was silent for a long time. “So” he cleared his throat. “You were just being grateful because he helped you”
 
I rolled my eyes. “Weren’t you even listening?”
 
“I’ve got all ears on you”
 
“Oh whatever” I growled.
 
He chuckled and didn’t say anything. We fell into a lapse of silence. I looked at my equally silent phone. What could pancake be doing now? I hope he arrived safe at the meeting place. I gently shook my head afterward. I almost forgot about him being a shadow. I can’t believe I’m already missing him. I mean, we just separated minutes ago. Aigoo, Jiyong, I miss you already! Gah, I just love him so much.
 
“What did your boyfriend say, by the way?”
 
I blinked. “I haven’t gotten the chance to tell him. His mother called, wanting to meet up”
 
“Being a direct descendant must be stressful and tiring”
 
“Direct descendant? What do you mean?”
 
He suddenly stopped walking and gave me a measured look. “How could you be in a relationship with him when you don’t know everything about him?”
 
I frowned. “I. . . I didn’t really bother asking”
 
He snorted. “You didn’t bother asking or he just didn’t bother telling you?”
 
“I’m sure he already told me but I just forgot. . . .” I mumbled.
 
“Don’t tell me you don’t know about his engagement to the daughter of the school’s director?”
 
“I know about the engagement and – wait. What did you say? D-daughter of the school’s director? Sohee’s. . . .?”
 
 
“He obviously didn’t tell you” he scoffed. “What kind of relationship do you guys have? Do you really keep secrets from each other?”
 
“I-it’s not really like that” I defended weakly. “He. . . we just respect each other’s private spaces”
 
“No need to reason out” he said. “I can see what’s going on. I don’t really want to meddle but a girl like you shouldn’t be treated like that”
 
I remained silent. I can’t seem to bring myself to respond. It’s like my strength has been out of me. But I tried to shake it away. I mean, I already know how Jiyong is. He’s not the type of person who speaks everything out. He even told me before that he can’t promise about not keeping any secrets from me. But. . . .
 
“Gah! That guy is so gonna get something from me!”
 
- - -
 
Okay, what I have to do was pretty easy. I just have to stand-in as a cashier – smile here, smile there, accepts payment – piece of cake. TOP was being supportive. When it’s getting boring, he’d approach me and have a chat. But when there are customers, he’d go back to his table and go on with what he’s doing – either drinking a soda or munching on some snacks. He’s a good guy, TOP is.
 
I missed working. Eventhough Han Eul offered me a part-time job on weekends, I declined. I didn’t want to lessen the day I get to spend time with Jiyong.
 
It was near midnight when I decided to call Jiyong and ask him his whereabouts or maybe tell him where I am and what I’m doing. Since I was allotted a break, I took the opportunity to step out of the store to make a call. Besides, there are no customers as of the moment anyways. When I opened my phone, I saw one missed call from him. I sighed. I have to remind that pancake of mine that a mobile phone isn’t only used for calling people. It’s also used for sending messages. Aish!
 
I was about to make a call when I was suddenly pulled into a corner, pushed against the wall and stabbed in the stomach twice. Everything happened so fast that the even didn’t register at first. And then, the pain overwhelmed everything that my mind went blank from anything else. I could only think of the pain and some weird sense of déjà vu. My vision started to go dark and even before my mind surrendered; I think I heard someone calling my name from far away.
 
----------------------------
*a/n: again, sorry for the typos and grammar errors!!!
COMMENT REPLIES ON YOUR WALLS
 
check this out!!!!
by nabi_chi
(13-5) The Spinster's Curse by nabi_chi
(12-3) Crazy Little Thoughts by nabi_chi
 
uwaaa!!! thanks thanks!!!
xoxo
hagocimit