The Mood Swings

The Black Phoenix

 

*banner by strong-bby
- - -
 
“Will you stop giggling?” he snapped. Instead of stopping, I only giggled hysterically. “Dara” he growled in warning.
 
Aigoo! I can’t stop giggling. It’s just. . . I’m having a very great day. So, I made some breakfast for my pancake. We ate with me sitting sideways on his lap. All throughout the meal, he kept on giving me kisses on my cheek, shoulder, hair and lips everytime he swallow his food down. Then. . . we showered together! Aigoo, aigoo, aigoo!
 
And now. . . tada! We’re walking to school HOLDING HANDS. My pancake’s being really sweet lately. Oh-mhai-ghad! Am I seeing the fruit of my persistency? Hihihi.
 
“DARA! STOP GIGGLING!”
 
I pouted at him. “Aish! You’re ruining my mood”
 
“Welcome to the club” he growled.
 
“You’re being really sweet lately, pancake” I said. “It’s making me giddy. Kya!”
 
He snorted. “You really are a spoof”
 
“I love yoooouuuuuu!”
 
He grimaced. “You talk too much”
 
“So. . . are we going public now?”
 
His hold on my hand tightened. I waited for him to answer my question but he remained quiet for a few minutes. “Would that. . . make you happy?” he then asked without glancing at me.
 
“Yes” I answered truthfully. I don’t really understand why he wanted to keep our relationship a secret. I mean, what is there to hide? “But if you don’t want to. . .” I trailed, pulling my hand back but he didn’t let go. “Jiyong. . .”
 
“I don’t know what I want anymore” he said in a low voice.
 
“What do you mean?” I asked in confusion.
 
He glanced at me then blinked, looking as if he just realized I was with him. Instead of answering my question, he just stared at me. I frowned but then something snapped inside me again. He’s wearing his masked face again. It’s been a long time since I saw that face. The last time I saw that was during the time when I was held against the wall, watching my loved being tortured by Sulli.
 
“We should move fast” he said. “We’re going to be late”
 
We became silent. Jiyong wasn’t really the type to talk much so it wasn’t really surprising. As for me, I’m still trying to figure out the sudden changes of behavior he’s having. I’m as confused as ever. I was so immersed with my own thoughts that I didn’t notice we reached my room already until he pulled his hand from my hold. I blinked then looked up at him. It’s the first time he walked me to my room.
 
“See you later” he said then leaned down to give me a peck on the lips. With that, all my worries went away. Aigoo! I think we’re really going public now! Bwahahaha.
 
But my happy bubble didn’t last. The moment I turned to enter my room, the livid faces of my classmate greeted me that I’m actually surprised I’m still alive and unharmed right now. They looked like they’re on for the kill but obviously, they’re holding themselves back. I wonder why.
 
I sighed and walked inside. As I took my usual seat besides Kevin, I can’t help but notice how he seem to distance himself away from me. This hurt me so I decided to make amends with him.
 
“Kevin” I called in a neutral tone. “I’m sorry about the last time. Jiyong. . . Jiyong can be a bit overprotective sometimes”
 
He hesitantly looked up. “You’re not. . . you’re not thinking I pushed you?”
 
“Of course not!” I told him firmly. “Like you said, we’re friends so I don’t really believe you’ll do that”
 
“Your boyfriend seemed to think otherwise. He’s been. . . he’s been following and observing me” he said. “And it’s scaring me off”
 
I grimaced. “I’m sorry about that. I’ll talk to him about it”
 
“N-no!” he stammered, eyes growing wide. “He might. . . get angry and he’ll-”
 
“Don’t worry about him” I cut him off. “I won’t allow him to terrorize any of my friends. He isn’t really that bad. He’s just got. . . some temper issues”
 
I really need to talk to Jiyong. As much as I love him, I can’t allow him to just terrorize my friends. I’ll talk to him later at the apartment. Or maybe he’ll go to the library at lunch break again. I might as well check the place later. Oh well, I hope he’ll keep an open mind about Kevin. I barely have friends here anymore. I just hope he won’t argue with me too because I don’t really want to fight with him especially today since it’s his birthday. Or maybe I could just discuss it with him tomorrow? Aish! I might forget about it if I leave it for the next day.
 
Oh well. . . I’ll just take the chance when it’s presented to me.
 
- - -
 
It turned out I don’t have to look for him because when lunch break came, he was already waiting outside the classroom for me. I’m not just surprised; I’m hugely surprise with his presence. “Hey, what are you doing here?” I asked.
 
“Picking you up, of course” he lazily answered. He reached out for my hand and laced his fingers through mine. Then, he pocketed both our hands inside his hoodie pocket.
 
“This is. . . new” I opened.
 
“You’re not gaining weight” he shrugged off. “So I’ll be monitoring your meals from now on”
 
“Ya! Are you planning to fatten me up?”
 
“Yup” he answered, smacking his lips. “You’re as thin as a paper, you’re making my eyes sore”
 
“Arrogant bird” I mumbled darkly.
 
He chuckled then shrugged. “’Can’t change the way I am”
 
“You do realize that everyone’s looking and talking about us right now, don’t you?”
 
“Of course I am” he smirked. “I’m not as stupid as you”
 
“Ya!” I exclaimed but he just went on walking. Aigoo! The rude Jiyong is back! Huhuhu. “But I thought you didn’t want. . .” I trailed upon remembering what he said a while ago. The look on his face when he said he didn’t know what he wanted anymore flashed back into my mind. “I want to discuss something with you, by the way”
 
“And that is?”
 
“Kevin Woo” I simply answered.
 
“I’m not interested in him” he scowled.
 
“Oh yeah?” I cynically asked. “Then why have you been following him?”
 
“That’s really absurd” he said. “I haven’t been following him”
 
He’s lying. “I don’t believe you”
 
“Do you have proof, hmm?”
 
I glared at him. “Why are you lying to me?”
 
“And you assumed that because?”
 
“AISH!” I burst out.  “Just because it’s your birthday, it doesn’t mean everything will go according to what you like. You can’t terrorize my friends, Jiyong. I barely have friends here anymore. I don’t want to terminate the-”
 
“Terminate is a good word” he thoughtfully said.
 
“Aish, kwon Jiyong!” I whined, stomping my feet. “You’re not listening to me! I’m just-”
 
“I know what you\re trying to say” he cut off. “You want Kvin as your friend, go ahead. You want to be friends with TOP, Daesung and Minzy, that’s fine with me”
 
I stared at him in disbelief. “Oh-kay” I slowly said. “Since when did you become this. . . this negotiable?”
 
“I’m not being negotiable” he winked. “I’m simply being wise”
 
My eyes narrowed. “And your TRUE agenda is?”
 
He grinned. “You know what they say, keep your friends close and your enemies CLOSER”
 
“YA!” I exclaimed. “They’re not enemies, they’re my friends!”
 
“You talk too much” he dismissively said.
 
“If you dare do anything to them, you’ll have me to answer for” I threatened him.
 
“Ooooh, I’m scared” he playfully said, feigning a scared look.
 
“Ya! Why are you being like this? Are you in any way, being possessed by some crazy spirit?” I demanded. But he just shrugged. “Aish! What are you up to this time?”
 
“You’re such a suspicious hag”
 
“A suspicious what?” I spat but he only laughed.
 
“Whew. It’s pretty crowded here today” he said.
 
I tore my eyes away from him. true, the cafeteria was pretty crowded. Once they noticed us, for sure, they’ll start whsiepring to each other again. Oh well, at least they now know that Kwon Jiyong is very much taken. He’s MINE. My hold on his hand tightened. Yes, Kwon Jiyong is M-I-N-E.
 
“We might be having problems in finding a table?” I heard him say.
 
I didn’t say anything. I scanned the whole place. A smile automatically curved my lips upon seeing TOP and the siblings on a very spacious table. “TOP’s table’s spacious” I told him and pointed the table. “You go ahead and order us some foods. I’ll save you a seat”
 
“You’re coming with me” he growled.
 
“Jiyong” I faced him. “Remember what you said a while ago? You said I can be friends with anyone I like”
 
His face turned dark. “Fine” he hissed then roughly let go of my hand before walking to the counter.
 
Eh? What was that? He’s been acting really strange lately. Could it be PMS? Aish! What am I thinking? If he could read minds, I bet he’ll laugh at me again for thinking so stupidly.
 
I shook my head and went to the table when TOP and the siblings were. “Hey” I greeted, beaming at them brightly.
 
“Wow, you’re still alive” TOP smirked. I only rolled my eyes at him.
 
“How are you guys doing?”
 
“Still as handsome as ever” TOP winked.
 
“I’m not asking you. I’m asking Dae and Minzy” I glared at him.
 
“Well. . .” Daesung smiled. “I’m not as handsome as TOP but I’m doing good”
 
I smiled too. “You’ve got your own charms, Dae” I told him. I turned to Minzy but as usual, she just gave me a bored and uninterested look.
 
“Are you and the raging boyfriend still together?” TOP asked.
 
“Of course we are!” I heatedly answered.
 
“Ah. . .” he sighed, shaking his head. He feigned a disappointed look. “I’m really hurt”
 
I can’t help but laugh at this. Aigoo! He really got some weird sense of humor. Hahaha. “Why?” I joked back. “Were you hoping to have Jiyong beside you? I’m sorry to say this TOP, but I’m in for a fight. I’m not going to give him up to you that easily”
 
“I have to use my hidden talents then” he said, batting his eyelashes in a flirty-girlish way that I barked another round of laughter.
 
“Aigoo! You’re really weird!” I exclaimed.
 
“Once again, me and my sister have been neglected” Daesung sighed but looking rather mischievous. “But I must say TOP, that was really disgusting”
 
“I’d rather go unnoticed” Minzy commented.
 
“Don’t mind her” TOP said. “She’s having her period”
 
Minzy suddenly stood up and glared at TOP. “Thank you so much” she hissed then walked out. Oh dear.
 
“Girls. . .” he snorted. “They’re totally uncontrollable”
 
“I beg your pardon?” I exhaled.
 
“Why would you beg for my pardon?” he smirked. I rolled my eyes.
 
“I’m sorry” Daesung apologetically said. “TOP’s not in his right mind, obviously. He’s never in his right mind now that I think of it actually”
 
I laughed again upon seeing the look on TOP’s face. But my laughter was cut short when a tray loudly sounded and landed in front me. I glanced sideways and saw Jiyong with a very dark face. What now?
 
“Eat” he said as he settled beside me.
 
“Which among these are mind?” I asked.
 
“ALL”
 
ALL?!”
 
“Yes” he hissed.
 
“What are you going to eat?”
 
“I’m not hungry” he said.
 
“YA!” I protested. “You have to eat something”
 
He took the sandwich then took a bite roughly. Aigoo. What’s wrong with him? He’s been having weird mood swings lately. “You have to eat more than that” I sternly scolded but he ignored me. I sighed then looked down. I can’t finish everything in time. I looked up at TOP and Daesung. “Mind to help me guys?”
 
“Sure” TOP.
 
“No” Jiyong.
 
“Err, I’m already full” Daesung said.
 
“But-”
 
“I’m really okay” he said.
 
“Dara” Jiyong hissed in my ear.
 
I glanced at him and pouted. “I can’t finish all of these in time”
 
“Yes you can”
 
“No I can’t”
 
His jaw tightened. “Are you really testing my-?”
 
“I’ll help you spoof” TOP interrupted.
 
“What. . . did you just call her?” Jiyong breathed, looking at him.
 
Aigoo! This doesn’t look good. “Ahm. . . .” I quickly came up, smiling at TOP. “I’ll be fine, don’t worry. I’m quite hungry, actually”
 
“Are you sure?” he asked.
 
I squeezed Jiyong’s thigh gently as I felt him stiffened. With another smile, I answered, “Yes”
 
“Okay” TOP shrugged. “If you say so”
 
 
AUTHOR’S POV
 
Dara started eating afterwards. She would glance once in a while at Jiyong, who as usual had his head turned away from her. While chewing her food, Dara took out her phone and typed a message to TOP, apologizing. She kept her face down so she didn’t see the smile that curved the guy’s lips. Not long after, her phone beeped once. She opened the message. It said: ‘it wasn’t your fault’
 
‘He’s just in a bad mood, I think’ she replied back.
 
‘jealous of my good looks, u mean?”
 
She chuckled lightly. ‘ur not really confident, huh?’
 
“Why bother texting?” Jiyong’s annoyed voice broke the silence. “You can just say it out loud”
 
Dara quickly glanced at Jiyong, planning to apologize but her boyfriend wasn’t looking at her. His eyes were on TOP. The latter leaned back slightly with a playful smirk on his lips.
 
“Jiyong, I sent him a message first” Dara explained.
 
“I’m not really sure about that” TOP said, steadily looking back at Jiyong. “You seemed to be easily affected by. . . words. You react violently everytime you hear something you think is unpleasant to your ears. You don’t really want to lose control in front of all these students, do you? Or you’re rather depending on Dara’s weird ability to calm you down?”
 
“Stop it” Daeung quietly said.
 
“TOP, it’s not really-”
 
“Maybe my reactions aren’t that irrational” Jiyong countered back. “Instincts make every living thing react everytime it sensed a threat nearby”
 
“Oh, so you seem me as a threat?” TOP smirked. “That’s very nice to hear”
 
“TOP” Daesung warned. “Just drop it off”
 
“Threat?” Jiyong repeated. “Not entirely. I think you forget every predator becomes alert everytime a prey is about to be devoured”
 
“I should watch my back then” TOP lightly replied.
 
“You should” Jiyong nodded. “But then again, I don’t really attack people behind their backs. . . unlike you”
 
“YA!” Dara exclaimed. “What’s going on with the both of you? You’re making me edgy”
 
“Don’t mind us, spoof” TOP said. “We’re just having a. . . shadow talk”
 
-----
I'm in  a wee bit of a hurry, aigoo.. will reply to the wall posts next time.. fighting!