The Two Birds

The Black Phoenix

 

*banner by T3kei
 
 
“What’s going on in here?” Seungri’s surprised voice came in. “What are you doing here, Jiyong? Aren’t you supposed to be doing your proposal to Dara tonight?”
 
Jiyong pulled away from Sohee and stepped back. He had a veiled look on his face as he glanced at Seungri then back at the girl. Without saying another word, he turned around and started to run through the rain. He jumped into the air and turned back into a crow. He gave a loud screech as he flew away to nowhere in particular.
 
Meanwhile, Sohee was too surprised and stunned with the pace of events that she went motionless for a while.
 
“What did just happen?” Seungri demanded.
 
Sohee blinked and turned to him. “Go after him.”
 
Seungri’s face went impassive. “You want me to go after him?”
 
“Something’s wrong with him,” Sohee pointed out.
 
“After I find him, what would I do then?” he asked. “Bring him here so you could ask what’s wrong with him? And then what, you’re going to soothe him?”
 
“Seungri, Jiyong’s your friend, too. Aren’t you a bit worried for him?”
 
“I’m worried about him because he’s my friend, but what about you?”
 
“Seungri. . . you know how I feel for him.”
 
“What about me then?” he asked. “After what happened, you’re just going to go to him just because he needs you? He’s not going to love you, Sohee. He’s in love with Dara and you know very well that shadows usually fall in love only once so in case you –”
 
“You’re in love with Chaerin, too,” she quietly interrupted. “No matter who I go for, I’ll always end up being the second choice or the substitute.”
 
Seungri sighed heavily. “I already told you, Sohee. I’ve already moved on, I don’t want anything to do with that girl anymore.”
 
“Just go after him first. We’ll talk later.”
 
The muscles in Seungri’s jaw jumped. hen, he didn’t say anything. He just smiled bitterly before turning into a crow. He spread his wings out, ignoring the heavy pour of the rain.
 
Minutes later, he found Jiyong back into his human form sitting on a branch of a big tree in a forest. He landed beside him and with a pop, he went into his human form, too. “Sohee asked me to look for you.”
 
“I don’t need your presence right now,” Jiyong said.
 
“Neither do I,” Seungri answered bitterly. “Look Jiyong, you’re my friend. But I don’t want seeing you leading Sohee on. You’re not the only scarred person here.”
 
“Are you referring to the scar on your face?” Jiyong snorted.
 
“I’m referring to Sohee,” Seungri answered. “We both know what she went through before she went to your rescue when Dara left you before and –”
 
“If you value your life, don’t mention her name in front of me.”
 
Seungri went silent for a while. The wind was so strong and cold that it could have chilled him to the bones. But not tonight, he can’t feel anything aside from the continuous kisses of rain on him. “I’m not going to believe you if you’ll say that she turned down your proposal,” he started again. “I know how long she’s been waiting to hear that from you.”
 
Jiyong didn’t say anything.
 
“It’s the other reason, then,” Seungri went on. When Jiyong remained silent, he chuckled under his breath. “So she gave in to him, huh? You already noticed Dara’s closeness to that guy but still, you didn’t do anything about it?”
 
“I’m not in the mood to talk right now.”
 
“So where is she now?”
 
“Are you really trying to piss me off?”
 
“Maybe,” Seungri shrugged. “You did offend me when you kissed Sohee so I’m just returning the favor. So you really don’t know where she is? Huh, knowing Dara, she’s probably looking for you right now. I could just see her in my mind, running or walking in the middle of an empty dark street with the heavy rain pouring down on her little body. Then, her clothes will be drenched and too bad for her if some random shadow guy or some bad guys see her in that state. I mean, Dara’s a shadow magnet, right? I mean, who could resist a girl who’s almost ? I bet there –”
 
“If you won’t stop talking, I’ll cut your tongue off.”
 
“If it was me, I would not be able to resist taking her if she’s as close to being .”
 
“You’re close to breaking my thread of patience, Seungri,” Jiyong warned.
 
“Oh well, if you don’t want to find her, it’s your choice. But I’m going to find her and extract revenge. Since you kissed Sohee, then I might as well kiss Dara when I find her,” Seungri said and took off at once even before Jiyong could react.
 
Jiyong watched as Seungri disappeared into the darkness. “!” he cussed. He turned into a crow and flew off.
 
He first went to the apartment. It was stupid but he didn’t even know why he’s even bothering to look for her when just a while ago, he was swearing her off. The apartment was empty and he couldn’t help but think that Seungri was right. He flew off again and started looking for her in the streets. He was going on in circles when he saw Seungri in his crow form approached him. The latter gave a screech and turned back to where he came from. He followed Seungri. Then, he started recognizing the place where the latter was headed. His snapped his beak sharply upon realizing where they were heading. He could turn back and not follow Seungri anymore but he still tailed behind the guy.
 
Seungri landed on a branch not to far from a house. Jiyong landed beside him. From his view, he could see a window opened. And through the window, he saw Dara sleeping in a bed with TOP sitting beside her. She did choose him, he thought. It’s really over.
 
He knew TOP could sense his presence but the guy seemed not bothered at all. He watched as TOP caressed Dara’s hair and leaned down to kiss her on the forehead. His chest tightened and so, he flew off and gave a loud, pain-filled screech. He closed his eyes for a moment. It’s over, he thought. And then, his eyes opened again. This time, they turned darker than before.
 
 
TOP’S POV
 
“Jiyong. . .” she moaned. “Please. . . Jiyong. . . Jiyong. . . . Jiyong. . . . don’t leave me. . .”
 
She went silent then. I knew she would go after him so I watched her from afar a while ago. When I saw her stumble down, I went to pick her up and brought her to my place. By then, she was already burning with fever.
 
“I can’t believe you actually did that,” Minzy’s voice came in. I looked behind me and saw her with a basin of water and a cloth.
 
“You know why,” I wearily sighed.
 
“You might have feelings for her but I also know it’s not that deep yet for you to go all desperate to get her.”
 
I chuckled. “Instead of you lecturing me, you should congratulate me.”
 
“And why would I do that?” she asked.
 
“I just hit two birds with one stone.”
 
“It’s not really life-threatening if you explain that furthermore,” Minzy said, annoyed.
 
“The old woman said that –”
 
“Why do you keep calling her like that? She’s our mother, TOP. Although she’s not our mother by blood but on a technical aspect, she is.”
 
“She’ll just go all mushy if I call her that,” I dismissively said. “Anyways, she said that this girl would lead us to the black phoenix.”
 
Minzy’s head snapped up. “What does that mean?”
 
“I’ve already used simple words and you still can’t understand what I said? Maybe you should get your mind checked,” I joked.
 
“This is not a laughing matter, Seunghyun.”
 
I grimaced. “I hate it when you use that tone on me, you sound so much like that old woman.”
 
“Explain,” she demanded.
 
I rolled my eyes. “Maybe you should ask her for the details. I don’t know everything yet. She just told me one day that Dara had to be separated from her boyfriend in order for her to lead us to the black phoenix. Amazing, right? She’ll lead us to the phoenix then I have here beside me. Two birds with one stone, I told you.”
 
“But why her? How is she related to the phoenix?”
 
“That, I don’t know.”
 
Jiyong. . . .!
 
“I don’t think she’s going to let him go that easily,” Minzy said, staring at Dara’s sleeping face.
 
“It won’t be easy,” I agreed. “But I can feel that Dara’s a strong person, she’ll get through this alive.”
 
Minzy sighed. “I better start liking her, then. It would be hard moving around here if I don’t feel so. . . friendly to her.”
 
 
 
AUTHOR’S POV
“Where’s Jiyong?” Sohee demanded.
 
“He went to London,” Serungri said.
 
“What do you mean he went to London? What happened?”
 
“Well, it seemed like Dara cheated on him. . .”
 
“Cheated on him? Who’s the guy?”
 
Seungri gave her an odd look. “Your friend, TOP.”
 
“TOP would not do that,” Sohee denied.
 
“Why don’t you call him and confirm it with him?”
 
“I’ll do that later,” Sohee waved off. “But why did Jiyong head to London?”
 
“I don’t know,” he shrugged. “He wasn’t really in the mood to talk. He even used his powers against me when I tried to follow him.”
 
“Jiyong hates being a shadow, why would he use his abilities on you? He had live as a normal human for so long and –”
 
“I told you, shadows can change. That goes with our feelings, thoughts and other things.”
 
“Seungri, I –”
 
“Do you have a spare room here?” Jiyong’s voice came out of nowhere. “I’m tired, I want to sleep.”
 
“Jiyong!” Sohee exclaimed. “What are you doing here? Seungri said you were heading to London and –”
 
“I changed my mind,” Jiyong cut off.
 
“I told you, shadows can change,” Seungri grinned.
 
“Sohee, can you arrange my transfer papers?” Jiyong said.
 
“Why?”
 
“I’m going back to the Valley tomorrow.”
 
 
 
-----
a/n: lame chap, i know!! hahaha..
 
special shoutout to REPARIE for asking my permission first to translate The Shadows and TBP to Indonesian! Woo! How cool is that, eh? kkkk
 
err, i've read all your comments guys and saw that there were some arguments there.. aigoo.. to those who don't have twitter accounts, CLICK.
 
and ooh, i've got new banners!
 
by marbie:
(9-4) Tug Of War by marbie
 
by edherei:
(10-40) The Black Phoenix by edherei
(10-41) The Black Phoenix by edherei