The Game Continues

The Black Phoenix
*new banner by aerenea23
-----
 
 
AUTHOR’S POV
 
“I’m so sorry. I-”
 
“What are you apologizing for?” TOP asked. “You didn’t do this to me”
 
“Aigoo! But I feel like-”
 
“It’s okay, spoof” he chuckled.
 
She stared at him and sighed. “Well, let me at least tend to your. . .”
 
“Don’t mind it” he said. “I’ll let Minzy take care of this. You should head to your class, you’re late already”
 
Dara can’t help but chuckle. “With what happened, I don’t think I can concentrate in class. I should head home and have a chat with Jiyong”
 
“He’s just pissed” he said.
 
“Why would he be?”
 
He shrugged. “Maybe because he wasn’t there to save you. You know how guys are, they think with their prides”
 
She stared at him again. Despite his rough look and constant teasing of how imbalance her relationship with Jiyong was, she can’t help but admire his sense of understanding in situations they’re currently in. Who would have thought that someone like him could actually be. . . gentle? He should be angry or pissed especially after what Jiyong did, but here he was, defending her boyfriend’s harsh actions to her. “It was still wrong of him to do that”
 
“So. . . what now?”
 
“You should go home. You look terrible”
 
TOP chuckled. “Do you want me to walk you to your place?”
 
Her face turned dark. “No, I’ll be fine. Speaking of, I better get going. I need to talk to him. I’m really sorry for this again”
 
“Don’t mind it. I won’t die from this” he joked. “Go ahead. I’ll just find a nice spot to. . . disappear” he added with a wink.
 
The moment Dara turned away, a small satisfied smile curved his lips. He was slowly discovering the weaknesses of their relationship one by one. But after a while, the smile was replaced by a frown. He would have to agree with Jiyong. Kevin’s excuses sounded lame, impossible and unbelievable. Instead of going home, he went to the rooftop and looked around. He saw Dara’s things at one corner.
 
“That’s odd. . .” he murmured, frowning.
 
- - -
 
DARA’S POV
 
I’m not really a big fan of confrontations but I know I need to do this. Bracing myself, I slowly opened the door and stepped inside the apartment. I closed it behind me with a heavy sigh. Aigoo. . . I don’t really want to fight with him. I just hope we could talk this out in a peaceful way.
 
I saw Jiyong lounging in the couch with the television opened. I was about to call out his name when I noticed a few number of empty bottles and cans on the floor. I was actually surprised with how fast he was able to consume a dozen or more alcoholic beverage both in cans and bottles. Now how am I going to talk with him if he’s like this? I stood for a moment on my spot, unsure of what to do. Then, I decided to just let him be. It’ll be useless to talk to him if he’s like this. And besides, he’s at fault. He should approach me first. He should apologize to me first.
 
I was about to go to the room when my phone started ringing. I took it out and saw TOP’s name on the screen. “Hey, TOP” I answered.
 
“I’ve got your things” he said.
 
“Oh right!” I exclaimed, slapping my forehead. “Thanks”
 
“No problem” he answered. “I’m actually in front of your apartment”
 
“Aren’t you supposed to be home?”
 
“Just thought of dropping by” he nonchalantly said.
 
I sighed. “Wait” I told him. “I’m on my way”
 
Without glancing at Jiyong or telling him where I’m going, I headed out again. Upon seeing TOP, I gave him a weak smile. “You should have tended to your wounds first” I scolded. “How did you get hold of my things, anyway?”
 
“I went to the rooftop” he shrugged. “Here”
 
“Thanks” I murmured as I took my things from his hands.
 
“So. . . how’s the talk going?” he asked.
 
I can’t help but grimace. “He’s drowning himself with alcohol so it’ll be impossible to have a serious talk to him right now”
 
“Oh” he mumbled.
 
“You know what? Let me just tend to you” I said, grabbing his hand. I pulled him with me inside. Guilt was eating my mind out so I didn’t hesitate in pulling him inside the apartment. I went straight to the kitchen and told him to sit in the stool as I went to get the first aid kit Bom gave us.
 
“You keep a first aid kit?” TOP asked in surprise.
 
“Our friend left this here for me. Why do you sound so surprised?”
 
He shrugged. “I just thought HE handles everything on his own”
 
I laughed lightly. “I don’t want him to heal any of my wounds”
 
“Why so?”
 
“His way of healing is crude. I don’t want him to get hurt just so I could be scarless” I told him as I started applying ointment on his face.
 
“I’ve never tried healing anyone the shadow way. But then again, not all shadows can do that. I don’t want to risk it”
 
“Jiyong’s closest friends can’t do that, too. I think only the royalties and elite can do things like those”
 
“Royalties and elite, huh?”
 
I chuckled. “They’re Jiyong’s own terms”
 
“The formal terms are actually boring and cheesy” he chuckled back.
 
Out of nowhere, Jiyong sang loudly. “Don’t mind me, I’m only dying!
 
“I should have known he’s a fan of ESTK” TOP said.
 
I raised my brows at him. “You know the song?”
 
“Yep”
 
“Are you a rock fan, too?”
 
“Not really” he said. “I generally like music”
 
“Huh!” I snorted.
 
What got me into this mess that devoured me?” Jiyong sang loudly again.
 
“I don’t understand why he likes listening to things like that. They’re all noise” I grimaced.
 
“It’s not all about noise” TOP said. “If you pay attention to the lyrics, you might like them too”
 
I shook my head. “Anyways, what are the formal terms for the. . . err, ranks of shadows?”
 
“That’s basically it. Rank 1, Rank 2 and Rank 3”
 
I snorted. “You’re right. Jiyong’s terms are way better”
 
“Don’t be too darn proud, will you?”
 
I wasn’t able to stop myself from laughing out loud. “Did I sound too proud of him?”
 
He rolled his eyes. “It’s not like he saved the world, did he?”
 
“Sorry” I shrugged. “I can’t help it”
 
“You could at least be modest about it”
 
I laughed again.
 
There was a clapping sound behind me. I glanced back and saw Jiyong clapping his hands. “Wow” he said. “That was quite a laugh. Enjoying his company, eh?”
 
I straightened and faced him. “Jiyong, you’re drunk”
 
“Oh no, I’m not. Actually, I haven’t had enough yet” he said as he took the bottle of alcohol from the floor.
 
“I think I should go” TOP murmured.
 
“Wha-?” Jiyong asked. “You’re leaving already? Ah. . . don’t leave yet. Accompany MY GIRLFRIEND first. She seemed to enjoy your company more than mine. . . go on, laugh all you want. Don’t mind me. Actually, I think it’d be better if both of you just pretend I’m not here. Enjoy each other’s company, okay?”
 
“Jiyong’s you’re being ridiculous” I wearily sighed but he just grunted and walked away. I awkwardly glanced at TOP and gave him an apologetic smile.
 
“Don’t mind it” he said. “I’ll go ahead”
 
“I’m really sorry” I whispered. When I looked up ahead again, I squeaked upon seeing Jiyong glaring at us. His eyes went back to TOP, his jaw clenching at the process. When he started marching towards TOP with balled fists, I quickly stepped forward and pushed him away. I guess he was really drunk because he easily staggered backwards.
 
“TOP, go!” I told him.
 
“See you tomorrow” he said as he walked past by us. “You’ll be alright here?”
 
“Of course” I answered.
 
“Are you sure?”
 
“Yes” I nodded. “Just go”
 
I looked down at Jiyong as TOP went out of sight. “What’s going on with you?”
 
But he just started singing again. “. . . bruised by your love. . . burned by your kiss. . .
 
“Jiyong, get up”
 
“Leave me alone” he grunted. “Just ing leave me alone!”
 
I sighed. “Come, I’ll bring you-”
 
“Don’t touch me!” he hissed. Then, he started singing again. “. . . now here I sing, my deadly lullaby. . . now here I sing. . .
 
“Jiyong, stop it!” I snapped.
 
With a pop, he suddenly turned into a crow. I jumped backwards when he screeched at me menacingly. The bird spread its wings widely then flew off.
 
“Ya! Where are you going?!”
 
- - -
 
I woke up with a jolt. I automatically glanced beside me, only to find an empty space. Jiyong was out for the rest of the day yesterday. I waited for him ‘til midnight but he didn’t come home so I just slept alone. I pushed myself off the bed. I still need to prepare for school. I went to the bathroom to take a bath.
 
After taking a bath and drying myself, I put on a bathrobe and headed out of the room. On my way to the kitchen, I saw Jiyong lying on his stomach on the sofa with new empty bottles and cans of alcohol around the floor. A lump rose to my throat but I decided to ignore it. I proceeded to the kitchen and prepare myself some breakfast. It’s really weird how I feel. . . alone eventhough Jiyong’s just in the living room.
 
Another lump rose to my throat when I started eating. I’ve never ate breakfast alone before. Not like this. I heaved a sigh as I forced myself to swallow my food down. Aish! I feel like a brick’s blocking the foods!
 
I froze upon hearing footsteps. I didn’t dare turn my head but at the corner of my eye, I was watching him. It was weird because when he past behind me, I swear, I smelled his aftershave cologne. Unable to stop myself, I took a peek. His back was facing me but I could tell he’s making himself a cup of coffee.
 
The silence went on. After he made a cup of coffee, he consumed it in three go. Without saying anything, he left. I bit my lower lip to stop it from trembling.
 
- - -
 
School was the same. Everyone’s pretty mean and weird to me. But I’m grateful none of them dared to physically hurt me. Well, at least not yet. Even Kevin became distant. I felt sad of course. I attempted to talk to him a lot of times but he always cowers away. In the end, I decided to just drop it off for the meantime.
 
And then lunch came. I was actually thinking of skipping lunch but when I saw TOP waiting outside the classroom, I suddenly found courage and comfort to go to the cafeteria and have lunch.
 
“Nice to see your face almost back to normal” I grinned at him.
 
“What can I do?” he sighed. “I’m naturally handsome”
 
I gave a light laugh. TOP – no matter what happens, he’ll always be the shadow with the weird sense of humor to me. “Are Min and Dae joining us?”
 
“They’re at the cafeteria already, saving us seats” he answered.
 
“Oh good” I nodded.
 
TOP was being funny as we made our way to the cafeteria. I was silently grateful for this. I needed distraction. What happened in the kitchen a while ago still brings tears to my eyes. It would be embarrassing if I start wailing out of nowhere.
 
I was a good sport all through out lunch. But at the back of my mind, I was thinking of Jiyong. A battle’s going on inside my head. A part of me wanted to make the first step to reconcile with him, to woo him. But there’s also a part of me that’s holding me back – my pride. I can’t always woo him especially if he’s at fault but I don’t want this conflict between us to last long, either.
 
Ugh! This is so difficult!
 
 
TOP walked me back to my classroom after lunch. I didn’t pay attention to what the other students were saying about me anymore. I’m still bothered of course but I chose to just turn deaf and blind about everything. Somewhere along the line, I remembered what Jae told me before. He said I shouldn’t think of what other people think about me or my relationship. I should do that. I sighed. The memory of Jae squeezed my heart tightly. Up until now, I still can’t bring myself in believing what he did for me. It was far beyond my expectations. I never expected or wanted anyone to die for me. That’s a heavy burden. I should pay a visit to the cemetery one of these days, to pay respect to Jae.
 
Aish! I really don’t like it when Jiyong and I are having problems. I always end up thinking about stuff.
 
- - -
 
TOP walked me to the apartment again right after classes ended. The apartment was empty. I shook my head. I still haven’t decided on what to do. Should I woo him or should I wait for him? But knowing him, he’ll never do that.
 
I frowned upon hearing a knock on the door. Eh? Who could that be? I went to get the door and saw a friendly-looking guy.
 
“Miss Sandara Park?”
 
“Yes” I answered.
 
“I’ve got a package for you”
 
“Oh!” I exclaimed. “Okay”
 
After everything was settled, I excitedly went to the room and opened the package. My eyes widened upon seeing the contents of the package: three pieces of the most notorious. . . gah! I don’t even. . . aigoo! Where did Bom buy these. . . these. . . . oh my God! It’s like being already so why bother putting these items on? Did she really think I could wear things like these? Gah! I was suddenly sidetracked when I saw a note that says happy birthday.
 
I immediately took my phone out to check the date. I slapped my forehead. Oh crap! Jiyong’s birthday is coming!
 
Aigoo! I’ve been preoccupied about it for along time but now that it’s nearing, it slipped my mind!
 
Aigoo! What should I give him? Aish! We’re not even okay yet. AISH! I took my wallet and check my money. I bit my lower lip as the thought of my savings in the bank crossed my mind.
 
 
-------
sorry for the typos and grammar errors.. haha.. looking for sohee, eh? she'll be back anytime soon.. keke..
another banner:
(10-19) The Black Phoenix by Jordayn Shelander
thanks to Jordayn!! Thanks so much dear!!