The Little Reminder

The Black Phoenix

 

*banner by iLove18
---
 
AUTHOR’S POV
 
One look at Dara’s flushed face told Jiyong everything he wanted and needed to know. He drew in a deep breath as his muscles flexed and his insides started boiling. He could feel something bad brewing up inside him. Taking his eyes from Dara, he looked at TOP. The guy was smirking at him. And that was more than enough to fuel him up. As he took a step forward, Sohee suddenly chimed laughter, making him stop. All eyes then turned to her.
 
“You’re so funny, TOP!” Sohee giggled.
 
“I’m not joking” TOP said.
 
“I know you’re not” Jiyong butted in. “And I’m glad you aren’t”
 
Sohee immediately stepped in between them, trying to push them away from each other. “This isn’t really the right place” she sternly told them.
 
“Jiyong. . .” Dara mumbled, reaching out for his arm.
 
“Don’t touch me!” he hissed.
 
Sohee, who witnessed how Jiyong’s temper eats the best out of him, saw the early signs of a possible explosion. “Jiyong, you should leave NOW”
 
“No” Jiyong gritted, facing her. “Not until I get my hands on that-!”
 
“JIYONG! This isn’t really the right place! You, of all people should know that!” Sohee cut him off.
 
Jiyong’s jaw clenched and unclenched. For a moment, it seemed like he didn’t have any plans in leaving but with a curse, he finally turned around and started walking away. Dara then started running after him.
 
“You don’t know what you’re doing, Seunghyun” Sohee rounded up on him, she gave him a warning look as he looked about to follow Dara. “It’s not wise to play with Jiyong’s temper”
 
TOP chuckled. “He’s such a jealous freak, isn’t he?”
 
“Why are you doing this?” Sohee sighed warily.
 
“Look” TOP heavily said. “We’ve been friends for a while now, Sohee. But I didn’t meddle with you affairs so don’t do so with mine”
 
“Dara is Jiyong’s girlfriend”
 
“So?” he snorted. “They’re going to break up, anyways. I heard that THEY still want the marriage to pursue. Meaning, you’re still engaged to him. And I also know for a fact that YOU LIKE HIM”
 
Silence. Sohee examined his face closely. “Is that the reason why you’re trying to steal her away from him?”
 
“I had no idea who she was the first time I saw her” TOP explained. “I didn’t even know she’s the same girl you were telling me about. When I followed her home and found out she’s living with him, I thought she’s just another fling of his. And the thing is, I LIKE HER”
 
Sohee turned silent for a moment as a frown marred her forehead. She sighed afterwards. “Oh well, I guess she’ll need a shoulder to cry on pretty soon. You might as well put yourself in a good use”
 
- - -
 
“Jiyong!” she called. “I didn’t kiss him! I swear, I didn’t-!”
 
The guy suddenly stopped and was in front of her before she could even blink her eyes. “But you let him kiss you!” he gritted.
 
“I didn’t!” she denied. “I went to talk to him and tell him to leave you alone but then he-”
 
“Wow!” he harshly breathed. “And now you’re telling me I should be grateful?”
 
“That’s not what I meant!” she screamed. “Listen to me!”
 
“I’m not in the mood to listen to you” he darkly said. “In fact, I don’t even want to see your face right now so leave me alone”
 
With a rustle, he turned into a crow and flew away.
 
Dara stood on her spot as she watched him disappear from view. She wanted to cry but she held her tears back. With balled fists, she retraced her steps. She could just hear the heavy pounding of blood in her ears. Her steps quickened until she finally broke into a run. But she suddenly stopped upon seeing TOP leaning casually and almost lazily against a wall, alone. Mindlessly, she flung herself at him and started hitting every part she could reach with her balled fists. It irked her when he didn’t even do anything to stop her. He just stood there like a stone.
 
“I hate you! I hate you, I hate you, I hate you!” she repeated over and over again, pounding her balled fists on his chest. And even before she could stop herself, she started crying. “Why are you doing this to me? Why?!”
 
“Is it so wrong for me to say what I really feel? What I feel for you?” he questioned her back. “And if he really trusted you or your feelings for him, he wouldn’t be this jealous”
 
“YOU DON’T KNOW HIM”
 
“No, I don’t” he agreed. “But I’ve seen enough to say that he’s not the best guy for you. And he always makes you cry”
 
“I love him and he loves me!” she cried. “It isn’t his fault that I’m crying right now but yours!”
 
“If he really loves you, he won’t do or say things that would make you cry” he calmly said. “You don’t have any idea how beautiful your eyes are, Dara. They shouldn’t be crying right now. They should be laughing from happiness of being in love and being loved back”
 
“You don’t know what you’re saying!”
 
“I do” he said and wiped her tears away. “Stop crying. It’s not right to see your pretty eyes crying”
 
- - -
 
He stayed in the forest for the remainder of the day. Luckily, he was able to get a grip of himself before he totally loses control. And being in his crow form helped too because the last time he went to a forest in his human form, he almost wiped the tress off the whole place. He tucked his head under his left wing. It was weird but the gesture always calms him down. He never had this much temper problems before. But he always blows up when it comes to Dara. If he goes on like this, he wasn’t sure what then would happen. It wasn’t healthy anymore. Everyday, he only grows into this jealous and possessive type of person. And Dara being adorable that she was isn’t much of a help, either. When he gave her that necklace, he was rather hoping that it’ll somehow tone down her aura and senses about things. He had discussed Dara’s title of being called a shadow magnet to Bom before and the latter said it must have something to do with her aura or whatever that is. The black crystal holds some sort of containment powers but obviously, it wasn’t that effective on Dara’s case.
 
Dara had never stopped saying how much she loves him. But for how long would it last? He was the type of person who didn’t believe in forever or eternity especially in terms of love. She could be in love with him today or tomorrow but how about the next day or next week? Or next month? Or even next year? Would she still feel the same? Then there’s the issue of their past. If he was on Dara’s place, he admits he would never easily forgive someone after all those things that happened. He might not even forgive that person AT ALL. So it’s a bit hard for him to believe that Dara forgave him already.
 
- - -
 
He shifted. He pulled his head out from his wing and realized it was getting dark. He spread his wings out and flew away. He started circling around until he finally settled himself in a branch of a tree just in front of the apartment. Rustling his feathers, he spread his wings again and took off. Upon reaching his destination, he slowly slid into his shadow form and hovered against the wall of the living room. Sohee was sitting on the sofa, watching a show. He was tempted to know where Dara was but he stopped himself. Then, the bedroom door suddenly burst open with Dara rushing forward. Her eyes were puffy and the tip of her nose was red. He instantly knew she’d been crying. Her puffy eyes then searched the area, looking as if she’s expecting to see him. He forgot how Dara sense a few things sometimes. She roamed her eyes around again. Then with a sob, she turned around and went back to the room, banging the door close. As she did, he saw Sohee rolled her eyes. She then reached out for the remote control and turned the volume louder.
 
“Planning to stay there all night?” she quietly asked but he heard her amidst the noise coming from the television.
 
He sighed and slowly gathered himself solidly. “I want to know where TOP is” he commanded.
 
“He’s my friend, Jiyong” she answered quietly. “And I’d appreciate it if you won’t take his life this early and quite brutally”
 
His jaw clenched as his fists balled tightly. Then, he slowly exhaled. “I’m not going to kill him” he said, “at least not yet. I just wanted to remind him of some. . . certain things”
 
Sohee then leveled her gaze to his.
 
- - -
 
He didn’t care if he was trespassing. No, trespassing was nonexistent in his list of concerns right now. But he didn’t have to barge inside the house violently. TOP and the siblings were hanging outside in a wooden bench under a large tree. He immediately let his presence be known. As soon as they saw him, they all straightened up and looked at him with wariness and alertness. Only, TOP looked a bit smug and arrogant compared to the other two.
 
“Get inside, you two” he told Daesing and Minzy”
 
“I’m not really sure if we should-” Daesung said but TOP shut him up by waving an impatient hand.
 
“Let’s go Dae” Minzy said, grabbing her brother’s arm to pull him with her. “Let him face the consequences of his stupidity”
 
“I’ll deal with you later, baby MinMin”
 
“I’ll look forward to it, Tabi”
 
As soon as the siblings were out of sight, TOP was suddenly pushed against a tree with a hand encircled tightly around his neck. Looking at the attacker’s eyes, he saw nothing but unfathomable darkness. “Planning to kill me with your bare hands?” he asked softly, tone slightly laced with mockery and sarcasm.
 
“Not yet” Jiyong gritted each word with great emphasis.
 
“Why not?”
 
Jiyong owed him for saving Dara’s life twice – that was his reason. But he won’t say it out loud. Instead, a slow menacing smirk curved his lips. “Put this fact inside that thick skull of yours, you bastard: Dara is MINE. Pull another reckless stunt on her and I’ll snap your head off your body and feed it to the vultures”
 
“She’s yours?” TOP managed to scoff. “What if she doesn’t want to be yours anymore?”
 
Jiyong’s hand tightened even more around his neck.
 
“Not so confident, are you?” TOP went on.
 
“Maybe” Jiyong darkly returned. “But I’m confident enough to kill you the next time you cross the line”
 
“I’m not that ignorant” TOP hissed. “I know about your engagement to Sohhe. Are you telling me that you will defy THEIR demands? Are you simply arrogant or stupid? We both know how far THEY could go just to implement their plans. THEY COULD GO AS FAS AS TO KILLING HER IF THEY WANT TO. Do you really-?”
 
“I can protect her from them”
 
“For how long?”
 
“As long as it takes”
 
TOP went silent for a while. “You can’t protect her against ALL OF THEM. A direct descendant can’t have EVERYTHING. You might as well give her up NOW”
 
“And give you the chance to get her?” Jiyong sarcastically remarked. “No ing way”
 
- - -
 
Dara nibbled on her lower lip as her eyes darted back to the clock for the nth time. She had just dried her tears away a few minutes ago but she found herself on the verge of crying again. She stood up and started pacing the room when the bedroom door suddenly opened. She was frozen on her spot upon seeing Jiyong entered the room and closed the door behind him. She heard a click as he locked it. Then, he leaned against it. She silently inspected him, checking if he was harmed. But upon seeing that he was physically fine, she breathed a relief. Then, she swallowed and cleared . “Jiyong, please believe me. I didn’t-” she started but she stopped abruptly as Jiyong leaned away from the door and hurriedly walked towards her direction. She could see and feel the contained anger in each step he took. But as she looked into his eyes, she didn’t feel fear. She didn’t even feel of being in immediate danger. Truth be told, she’d rather accept everything he’ll do to her rather than being treated coldly. Yes, she would have preferred ii if he’ll hurt her physically or verbally than being ignored like he usually does everytime they have an argument.
 
As his hand gripped her arm, she mentally prepared herself of what he’s about to say or do. She flinched as his nails buried deeper into her skin when he pulled her in his arms and brutally invaded with his.
 
Her eyes widened in surprise. She prepared herself for a verbal blow or physical assault but not this type of punishment. As his right hand gripped tighter on her arm, his other hand went to grab a fistful of her hair to pull her head back so he could kiss her deeper, her scalp throbbing in pain from the act. Helplessly, she placed her hands on his shoulders to support herself up. What he’s doing was both painful and pleasurable to her. She wanted to pull back but she knew that she had to bear everything. Not knowing why or how but she knew it was Jiyong’s way of erasing Top’s kiss off her lips.
 
She closed her eyes tightly an accepted her punishment silently and willingly. But when he bit her lower lip quite harshly, she wasn’t able to stop herself from making a sound out of pain.
 
Tears started to form at the corners of her eyes when she tasted something salty at the tip of her tongue – her own blood. Her lower lip was bleeding and Jiyong didn’t notice it until she started sobbing.
 
He pushed her away roughly while he took a step back. His eyes looked at her coldly but it wavered upon gazing at her bleeding lip. But then, he turned away from her, unable to bear the sight of her bleeding lip and tear-stained cheeks. He closed his eyes for a moment as his jaw clenched. With a curse, he marched stormily towards the door and went out, banging the door loudly behind him.
 
Dara stared at the closed door. started to tremble. She fought against her tears hey flowed uncontrollably down her cheeks. Consumed by mixed emotions, she weakly slid to the floor and started crying again.
 
- - -
 
DARA’S POV
 
I didn’t want to open my eyes. My eyelids felt so heavy that I just wanted to keep them close. That’s aside from the fact that Jiyong isn’t beside me and that he didn’t sleep beside me, either.
 
The memory of sleeping alone in the bed brought a lump to my throat. But I don’t want to cry anymore, I might dehydrate myself if I do that. So unwillingly and obligingly, I opened my eyes and lifelessly went to the bathroom. I didn’t have much strength in me to do my usual routines but I lazily went through with them. I put on a robe after showering and brushing my teeth then headed towards the door. I was on my way to the kitchen when I heard Jiyong’s familiar voice. So instead of barging on, I lingered on my spot.
 
“ it, Sohee!” Jiyong hissed. “I thought you got it all planned already?!”
 
“I had it all plan out” Sohee hissed back. “But I had to do some changes and further. . .” Sohee’s voice turned into a whisper at the last words so I wasn’t able to hear the rest of the sentence. “And now that Dara entered the picture, it only made things a bit complicated than before”
 
“And I suppose you don’t want ME to tell her about IT?” he acidly asked.
 
“You know you can’t. She’ll only feel bad and hurt even if everything’s. . . .” Sohee returned, her voice turning into a whisper at the last moment again.
 
“I doubt that”
 
My heart was hammering so hard against my chest that I started fearing they’ll hear it.
 
“Will you stop acting like you’re the abused party here?” Sohee snapped. “She’s a girl just like I am. I understand her emotions better than you do. You’ll only hurt her if you tell her we’re-”
 
“Maybe she deserves it”
 
I gasped inaudibly.
 
“Jiyong. . .” Sohee wearily sighed. “You can’t blame TOP if he’s attracted to her, she’s a beautiful girl”
 
A deafening silence followed.
 
“You gave me your word, Jiyong” Sohee sternly reminded him.
 
“I know!” he gritted. “And don’t make me regret that I did”
 
Incoherent thoughts floated around my mind. But even before I could assess my thoughts and feelings, the sound of the doorbell took my attention away. Not wanting to be caught eavesdropping, I quickly went to get the door.
 
“Seungri!” I gasped in surprise. “What are you doing here?”
 
He frowned a little; looking as if I’m the last person he expected and wanted to see. “Is Sohee around?”
 
“Well, she’s-”
 
“Seungri!” a bright, cheerful voice came from behind me. Seungri’s eyes flew past by me and landed on someone behind me. Instantly, Seungri’s frown faded.
 
---
THANK YOU  everyone for greeting me!
 
Anyways, in part of my 2nd noob birthday, I received the following awesome treats!
 
A cute card from Anj aka oblivious2dobvious
BDAY CARD from ANJ
 
In part of Chapter 19 (The Battle Within), a talented reader by the name of nabi_chi brought Dara's gift to Jiyong to life!
DGsketch2
DGsketch