The Birthday Guests

The Black Phoenix
*banner by fuarief
- - -
 
AUTHOR’S POV
 
“SURPRISE!” Seungri’s loud and enthusiastic voice greeted Dara and Jiyong the moment they arrived back at the apartment together.
 
“Hey! What are you guys doing here?” Dara asked, brightening up at once upon seeing Seungri, Youngbaee and Bom.
 
“We’re here to celebrate Jiyong’s birthday, of course!” Seungri answered, beaming at her.
 
“You know I hate celebrations” Jiyong growled.
 
“You don’t really have a choice” Youngbae smiled.
 
“How did you guys get in, anyways?” Dara asked.
 
“We’re shadows, remember?” Seungri said, rolling his eyes. “Anyways, we brought some food and drinks. Let’s party!”
 
“Seungri went on with his energetic mood while Bom can’t help but notice the silent tension between Jiyong and Dara. As they settled in the living room, the boys instantly fell into a conversation.
 
“We’re suddenly neglected” Bom chuckled to Dara.
 
The other girl smiled. “It’s nice of you guys to come here”
 
Well, we love pissing Jiyong off” Bom chuckled again.
 
“I’m actually surprised with Seungri. I thought he’s depressed and all. . .”
 
“He’s a shadow, Dara” Bo quietly said. “Lying and pretending are parts of their nature”
 
Dara went silent. Her eyes went to Jiyong. He looked annoyed but he seemed happy at the same time. She sighed. They’re not talking again, although he waited for her outside her classroom, he didn’t speak a word to her. She just can’t understand him. He said it was fine with him to befriend whoever she wanted but he kept on having these weird exchanges of words with TOP. Jiyong didn’t even apologize for what he did to the latter considering that Top actually saved her twice already.
 
“Problem?” Bom softly asked.
 
Dara glanced at her and smiled tightly. “It’s nothing” she said.
 
Bom raised her brow. “You’re not really a good liar, you know”
 
Dara just bowed her head.
 
“Come with me” the taller girl said as she grabbed Dara’s hand and started pulling to the kitchen. As she was about o let go of the other girl’s hand, her eyes accidentally caught sight of the ring on her finger. She held Dara’s hand up and looked at it with a frown. Then, her face cleared as she looked up at Dara’s face with wide eyes. “The ring. . .?”
 
“Yeah” Dara nodded. “It’s the one I told you about before”
 
Bom went silent. After a minute or so, she finally freed Dara’s hand. “What’s going on?” she asked instead as they took seats on the high stool.
 
“It’s just a small misunderstanding” Dara said. “He’s just being weird lately. And he keeps on picking fights with my friend, most especially TOP”
 
“TOP?”
 
“Yeah” Dara nodded absentmindedly. “He’s a shadow, too”
 
“Dara. . . you do know Jiyong’s history, do you?” Bom slowly asked. “He might not be innocent on things but you’re his first girlfriend. My relationship with him doesn’t count. Between the two of you, you’ve got the upperhand when it comes to relationships”
 
“But it’s different with him” she pointed out. “I don’t know how to explain it, either. I’m. . . I don’t know”
 
“You’re. . . you’re not pregnant, are you?”
 
“No” she answered, shaking her head. “I’m on pills”
 
Bom slowly nodded. “Who’s this TOP guy, anyways?”
 
“He’s got to be the shadow with the weirdest sense of humor” Dara animatedly said. “We actually-”
 
“Hey, what are you two doing here?” Seungri suddenly came in.
 
“Girls’ talk” Bom sternly said. “What are YOU doing here?”
 
He took a stool out and settled himself there. “I don’t like what they’re talking about” he grimaced.
 
“Why? What are they talking about?” Dara curiously asked.
 
“Nothing of importance” he mumbled.
 
“They’re talking about CL, aren’t they?”
 
He growled. “I can’t understand why everyone’s worrying about her. If she doesn’t want to have any connections to us, fine. But it’s really rude of her to not even call to say that she doesn’t want to be friends with us anymore; that she found new friends there already. She’s such a weakling, a coward”
 
Bom and Dara exchanged knowing looks.
 
“I think you drank a little way over what you can handle” Bom commented. “You can’t go on like this forever, Seungri”
 
“Girls” he snorted. “They think they know everything”
 
Bom only rolled her eyes.
 
“You should have told her what you truly felt” Dara said. “In that way, you wouldn’t be like this”
 
“I already told her how happy I am that she left”
 
“Maybe that’s the reason why she hasn’t called yet” Dara pointed out. “Maybe she thought nobody would miss her. Besides, that’s not what you really feel. If it is, you wouldn’t be sulking like this”
 
“I don’t have any special feelings for her” he firmly said.
 
“What is it with shadows not admitting how they really feel about someone?” Dara suddenly exploded.
 
There was a moment of silence. Bom and Seungri had their eyes on her. Seungri looked bored while Bom just stared at her tiredly.
 
“Hey, I was wondering where you guys. . . . err, what’s going on?” Youngbae entered, looking rather awkward while Jiyong was silently lurking behind him.
 
“Pretty Dara here just exploded” Seungri said. “She got some issues with shadows not admitting how they really feel for someone. Huh! Like we’re capable of being like that”
 
“You’re such a tactless idiot, do you know that?” Bom snapped, standing up, “Bae, can you please drag this rat to the living room?”
 
“Of course” Youngbae murmured, understanding his wife’s intent of leaving Dara and Jiyong behind to have a chat.
 
As soon as the three were out of sight, the kitchen was suddenly filled with a deafening silence. Dara fidgeted with her fingers. With a sigh, she looked at Jiyong. he had his arms across his chest, looking rather stern. “I-I. . . I’m. . . .” she stammered.
 
“If you have issues with me, you could just tell it straight to me” he coldly said. “I’m sorry to disappoint you but from the beginning I already told I’m not the type of person who’ll always speak out what I feel. If you-”
 
“I know that” she mumbled.
 
“- have a problem with that, that’s not my fault anymore. Why don’t call you TOP? Maybe he got a solution for you. Or better yet, why don’t you start going out with him? I’m sure you’ll find him quite the opposite of me”
 
“Jiyong, it’s not like-”
 
But he already walked away. Her lower lip started trembling as tears threatened to escape her eyes. She bit her lower lip and scattered her hair on one side of her face. With her head bowed, she started heading towards the bedroom. Since it’s inevitable to pass the living room, she tried to keep her pave steady so it wouldn’t be so obvious that she’s on the verge of crying.
 
“Too bad, though” she heard Seungri said. “Out of all the times to fight with Dara, you chose to argue with her today. I mean, the birds’ mating season is nearing and-”
 
“I don’t give a ing damn about the mating season” Jiyong hissed.
 
“Oh well. . .” Seungri went on. “I guess you have girls at your disposal in just a blink of an eye. We could play with them together if you want. I’m-”
 
“Seungri!” Bom and Youngbae hissed but Jiyong only laugh. That broke Dara’s resolve. With a sob, she ran to the room, yanked it open, stepped inside and locked it behind her. She threw herself to the bed and buried her face in the pillows to muffle her cries.
 
- - -
 
JIYONG’S POV
 
Bom and the others left hours ago. I don’t really celebrate birthdays, I don’t like it but this wasn’t the day I expected it to be. Dara’s all locked up inside the room. Well, as of the moment, I like the silence surrounding me, the feeling of being alone. It’s been a while since I had a quiet time alone. Dara’s usually noisy, talkative and whiny so it’s really rare to have a quiet and peaceful time alone like this. I closed my eyes and leaned my head back. Dara’s face floated to my mind.
 
“Oh !” I hissed to myself. “Damn this life!”
 
I stood angrily and marched towards the bedroom, only to find the door locked. Oh hell, whatever. After hearing a click, I turned the knob and pushed the door open. She was lying on her stomach on the bed, her face buried deep in the pillows. My feet, as if having a mind on its own, started moving silently towards the bed. Halfway there, I stopped. Shaking my head, I turned away and went to my study table instead. I need to distract myself.
 
I sat down on the chair and turned the desk lamp on. I took out a book from the pile at the corner and flicked through the pages.
 
 
DARA’S POV
 
I knew he’s in the room with me. I can feel his presence. Okay, that’s a bit farfetched but I heard him opened and closed the door. We just made up and now we’re not talking again. Aish! Why is this happening?
 
I flinched a little at the memory of Seungri talking about the birds’ mating season and getting girls for it. How dare him talk to Jiyong about looking for girls while I was just a few feet away? He can go looking for girls to satisfy his needs but he won’t be bringing Jiyong with him. No sir! I won’t allow it! I WON’T!
 
But. . . but we’re not okay yet. What if my pancake go looking for someone else? My spine stiffened. NO! I can’t allow that! I pushed myself off the bed. I have to do something about his. I marched towards the desk and tried to pull off a stern and serious face.
 
I cleared my throat. “J-jiyong” I called out, wincing a little at how feeble and squeaky I sounded. But he just ignored me. “Jiyong. . .”
 
Still, he ignored me.
 
“Pancake. . .”
 
“What do you want?” he suddenly snapped, glaring at me. I held my chin up. I should not be intimidated. With fierce determination, I pounded my fists on his desk. “This has to stop!” I declared. “I know we’re different from each other but we can always agree on a compromise. Now you stop acting weird on me!”
 
“Acting weird on you?” he demanded. “I’m not acting weird! This is a normal reaction to you being flirty and too friendly with that TOP guy!”
 
“How did TOP end up in this conversation? We’re talking about-!” I paused and stared at him. Then, it hit me. “Oh. My. God!” I exclaimed. “You’re jealous!”
 
There was a long, deafening silence after my outburst.
 
“Me?” he then scoffed. “Jealous?! I don’t even know what that word means!”
 
“You. . . . really are. . . . jealous. . . .” I whispered in disbelief.
 
“That’s bull!” he crisply said. “Me? Jealous of that guy? No ing way! He’s not even that good looking. He’s just taller than me and to hell with his height. I don’t need those extra few inches anyway! I’m-!”
 
I don’t know what has gotten into me but I just found myself laughing. Maybe because it’s the first time I heard him talk in that tone. And he didn’t even pause to breathe. AIGOO!
 
“What are you laughing at?!” he snapped.
 
I was laughing so hard that I wasn’t able to answer him. His face was getting darker by the minute but I just laughed and laughed and laughed. But I suddenly stopped when he wiped his things off his desk, excluding the lamp with his arm. I flinched and froze on my spot, my eyes widening as he got off his chair and strode towards me.  Afraid as I was, I turned to face him. He looked so murderous that I cowered a little. He stopped in front of me and grabbed my arms quite roughly. I can tell he’s about to do and say something nasty but he just stood there, silent and unmoving. I looked at his face and saw that his dark face was lightening up while his hold on my arms loosened. My jaw dropped in awe upon seeing his face softened.
 
“Pancake. . .” I murmured.
 
“Damn you!” he whispered in a tone of silent surrender. He cupped my face and leaned his forehead against mine. “I’m beginning to think that you’re a witch”
 
I chuckled and closed my eyes as he now pulled away and kissed my forehead.
 
“Oooh, can’t find the strength to resist me?” I teased.
 
“Did you put some perfume on?” he said instead.
 
I pulled back a little but he didn’t allow me. He just kept my face on his chest. “No” I answered, frowning a little. “Why?”
 
“Hmm. . .” he murmured, his nose and lips dipping down at my neck. “I can smell something”
 
“S-something?” I stammered. “What something?”
 
“You tell me. . .” he murmured again in that husky voice of his that sets me on edge. He went on kissing me until he reached my earlobe, nipping a little. “So. . . what is it?”
 
“Err. . .  my natural smell?” I answered, feeling rather breathless.
 
He didn’t say anything. Instead, he just chuckled and grabbed my waist, lifting me up to sit on his study table with his lips still on my earlobe. “Hmm, that’s what I thought it was”
 
“P-pancake. . . you’re flirting!”
 
“Am I?” he playfully asked, his lips on my cheek now.
 
“Aigoo!” I breathed.
 
And then at last, at long last, his lips landed on mine. Slowly, we kissed. I lifted my hands and curled my fingers on his hair. He pulled away; a naughty and knowing smirk closely related to arrogance curved his y and delicious lips. Ahem.
 
“Take your clothes off”
 
I blinked. “What?”
 
“I said take your clothes off”
 
I just stared at him and blinked. With an impatient sigh, he stepped back once and started taking my clothes off. First, with my shirt, then my bra (he smirked at me again after throwing that piece of garment away), then he proceeded on taking my pants off and my underwear.
 
“Aren’t you supposed to take your clothes off too?” I asked, gripping the edge of the desk.
 
“Not yet” he smirked again.
 
“Why not?” I whined.
 
He knelt down, spreading my legs apart and started kissing the inner part of my thigh.
 
“P-pancake! W-what are you doing?” I breathed.
 
“This. . .is. . . just an. . . . appetizer. . .” he said in between kisses.
 
“A-appetizer?” I moaned, closing my eyes. Oh, he’s getting to the center!
 
“Yes. . .” he murmured. “The main course and dessert will come later.
 
Main course?
 
Dessert?
 
--------
Haha.. Brace yourselves guys, Sohee might arrive sooner than you expected. LMAO. Anyways, got a new banner! Yay!
Thanks to aerenea23!!
(10-22) The Black Phoenix by aerenea23