The Overloaded Day

The Black Phoenix
* banner by aerenea23
 
 
 
- - -
“Huhuhu. . .”
 
Stop it!” he gritted.
 
“You’re a beast, oh yes you are!”
 
“You shouldn’t have tempted me then”
 
“I did not tempt you!” I answered defiantly. “If you remember, you flirted with me! You just dipped your head in my neck and went on asking if I put some perfume on!”
 
“Well, it’s your fault” he went on. “If you didn’t smell like that. . .”
 
“Ugh” I groaned. “My legs hurt! My thighs hurt! My whole body hurts! You, you’re a beast!”
 
“Oh, shut up!” he gritted as he went on massaging every part of my body that I whined out hurting.
 
“Hmm. . . ooh. . . .” I moaned. “. . . . aaah. . .”
 
“Stop it!” he snapped.
 
“What?” I innocently asked. “The massages feels great, I can’t help out”
 
“Fine!” he gritted. “But stop making those sounds”
 
“Why, are you tempted again?” I chuckled. “Sorry, but I’m still sore”
 
“You don’t really know how to shut up, do you?”
 
“Are you being shy pancake?” I teased. “Now, now. No need to be shy. It’s just the two of us”
 
He growled.
 
“BWAHAHAHAHA!!!”
 
“That’s it!” he snapped. “I had enough. You go massage your own body”
 
“You’re so rude!”
 
“And you’re not?” he scoffed.
 
“I’m not! But you are!”
 
“Whatever|
 
“Ya!” I called as I felt him stood up. “Where are you going?”
 
“Away from you”
 
“YA!”
 
“You’re hopeless. You should see a shrink”
 
“How can I do that? I can’t even walk, much more stand up” I reasoned. "Anyways, I want you to promise that you won't follow Kevin anymore"
 
"I don't do promises, you know that. And who gave you that idea? TOP?"
 
I didn't say anything. First, I didn't want to lie. Second, I don't want to put Kevin into a more compromising situation. Then, I suddenly remembered about the mating season.
 
"I don't like that look on your face"
 
"Err, I heard Seungri talking about the mating season. . ."
 
His brows lifted.
 
"You can turn me into a crow, right? So-"
 
"It's called channeling"
 
"Okay" I impatiently waved off. "I'm not being a ert or anything. I'm MERELY CURIOUS. So, I was wondering, how do err, crows or birds mate. Then I have this great idea. As i wondered about the answer, it came to me. So, err. . . I remembered you can turn me into a crow even for a moment, so I was thinking that maybe we could. . ."
 
"NO!"
 
- - -
 
“Good mood, huh?” TOP noticed.
 
“Yep” I beamed. “Very”
 
His brows rose up. “So, tell me. . . where’s your boyfriend this time? Did you two argue again?”
 
“If we did, it’s really none of your business” a familiar voice came from behind me. “And you don’t have to sound too damn pleased about it”
 
“Pancake!” I greeted him quite enthusiastically. He sat down beside me, glaring at TOP.
 
Silence.
 
“Let’s eat!” Dae clapped, breaking the silence.
 
“I’m all good” TOP said. “Just seeing Dara makes me feel full”
 
“Ah. . . ha ha ha. . .” Dae filled the silence again. “TOP, you really are a joker!”
 
I glanced at Jiyong. “But that’s just it, isn’t it? You could only LOOK”
 
“Jiyong. . .”
 
“But I suggest you stop doing that as well. I might. . . pick your eyes out of their sockets”
 
TOP smirked. “Not so confident, are you?”
 
“Stop it, will you?” I wearily sighed. “Not all of us can understand your weird sense of humor, TOP”
 
“He’s not being funny, Dara” Jiyong coldly said. “He’s trying to pick a fight with me and act like he’s on the loosing end to gain your sympathy”
 
“Well, there won’t be any fighting from the both of you” I sternly said. “Or you’ll have to answer to me”
 
“Oooh, scary” TOP scoffed.
 
“Shut it, TOP” Minzy said.
 
“Ah. . . baby Minmin, why are you meddling with-?”
 
“Call me baby Minmin again and I swear I’ll put poison on your food, Tabi”
 
“Girls” TOP snorted, rolling his eyes.
 
“And what’s wrong with GIRLS?” Minzy rounded on him.
 
I watched and listened as TOP and Minzy bickered. It was so rare to hear Minzy talk that I was fascinated watching her argue with TOP diligently.
 
“Eat”
 
I glanced sideways and smiled at my pancake. I reached out for his disgruntled hair and rumpled it. “Let’s eat together”
 
He didn’t say anything. He just looked at me with a weird expression I could not quite describe. I lowered my hand and looked back at his eyes. “I love you” I blurted out. I feel like it’s the right thing to say in response to his weird expression.
 
That’s weird. Jeez, I wonder why I felt that way.
 
“THIS IS A CAFETERIA, NOT A LOVENEST!” TOP’s loud voice interrupted my train of thoughts.
 
Then it just happened. I was about to tell TOP off when Jiyong suddenly reached across the table and grabbed TOP’s collar.
 
“Jiyong!” I warned, glancing around me. “Don’t!”
 
“If you want to fight with me, just say it” Jiyong gritted. “Are you that coward that you settled in pissing me off with words?”
 
To my surprise, TOP smirked. “Ah. . . but words leave a lasting and painful damage. You see, sword may be sharp but words are sharper. The sword can kill a person, yes. But words can ruin a person’s soul”
 
“Well, I’m sorry to disappoint you” Jiyong said, voice thick with so much darkness that it made my hair at my arms raise. “But my soul’s already ruined beyond repair. Your words won’t affect what’s left of it”
 
Jiyong let him go roughly then walked away. I glared at TOP, grabbed two sandwiches and two boxes of juice. I shoved them in my bag and ran after my pancake. Upon reaching him, I grabbed his hand and pulled him with me. He didn’t say anything. He just let me drag him at the back of the school. I looked for a good spot. After finding one, I went there and sat on the ground, pulling my pancake down beside me.
 
I remained silent as I opened my bag and pulled out the foods I brought. I handed him his share but he ignored it so placed them down on his lap. I chewed on my sandwich quietly, leaving him in his silence.
 
When I finished my sandwich and juice, I decided that his time’s up already. I grabbed his arm and draped it over my shoulder. I wrapped my around him and leaned up to kiss him on the cheek. “I love you”
 
He looked down at me, wearing an expression that said he wasn’t aware I’m with him until now. This is the second time already. I grinned at him but he just looked away with a frown on his face.
 
“You should eat, you know” I told him. “You’re getting thinner by the minute. It’s no good starving yourself”
 
He heaved a weary sigh and picked his sandwich up. I watched him take a sip from his juice every after three bites of sandwich. After a while, I leaned my head on his shoulder.
 
“You shouldn’t have said that” I quietly said.
 
“Yeah, I shouldn’t have” he silently agreed. “It was damn stupid of me to think that I have a soul in the first place. And if I do have one, I can tell it isn’t as whole and pure as anyone else’s. I’m sure it’s tainted – a black soul if you may. It’s only right for a black soul to be ruined”
 
KWON JIYONG!” I exclaimed. “HOW COULD YOU SAY SUCH A THING?!?”
 
He glanced down at me. Then, he smirked. “I really enjoy watching your face when you’re angry”
 
“THIS ISN’T A LAUGHING MATTER!”
 
“Don’t be ridiculous” he said. “And let’s stop talking about it. It’s just a waste of time. Now come here and let’s take a nap”
 
He pulled my head back on his shoulder, patting it gently. I wanted to argue but I didn’t want to have another fight with him. So instead of arguing, I just said, “I love you, no matter what”
 
“You can be so naïve sometimes” he chuckled.
 
“Oh well,” I sighed dramatically. “Maybe that’s the reason why I fell in love with you. It’s because I’m so NAÏVE”
 
He laughed. “If that’s the case, then I hope you’ll remain naïve ‘til the end”
 
- - -
 
I told Jiyong to go ahead without me after classes. He looked pretty surprised but he didn’t ask me why. He didn’t even say anything. He just nodded silently and gave me a lingering kiss before walking away. I waited for a few minutes before heading to the auditorium, where the school choir usually practices. I pulled my phone out and sent a message to TOP.
 
I nibbled on my lower lip and looked around. I wonder what’s taking him long. Aish. . . maybe he’s busy practicing. Should I just wait or leave it for tomorrow? It’s been a few minutes already.
 
“Hey, spoof”
 
I turned around, planning to slap him. But that didn’t happen. For some weird reason, I can’t seem to find the. . . strength to hate him or be mad at him.
 
“Err, are you too mesmerized with my good looks?” he scoffed.
 
I glared at him but then, I sighed afterwards. “You shouldn’t have taunted or provoked Jiyong like that”
 
“He is a jealous type, isn’t he?”
 
“No, he’s not!” I angrily said. “And there’s no reason for him to be jealous anyway. So stop making him think that you have a thing for me”
 
He crossed his arms, leaned one shoulder against the wall as he looked at me silently. After a while, he shook his head. “You’re either insensitive, blind, ignorant, naïve or stupid. Tell me, which on are you?”
 
“What are you talking about?”
 
He straightened up, grabbed my shoulders and pushed me against the wall. “I think you’re none of the above” he slowly said. “You know what I think, hmm?”
 
“I’m not a mind reader!” I gritted. “Now let go of me”
 
“I think you’re a great actress” he went on. “I think you’re pretending NOT to see it”
 
“I don’t know what you’re talking about!”
 
“Oh really?” he asked, sounding amused. “I know you do”
 
“No, I don’t!|
 
“If that’s the case, then let me show it to you”
 
“Wha-?”
 
The rest of my words were left unheard as his mouth claimed mine. My body instantly locked down, my eyes going wide. My mind went blank.
 
. . . blank
 
. . . . blank
 
. . . . . blank
 
BLANK.
 
But then, I suddenly came to my senses. I pushed him away, a resounding slap landed on his face. And I just realized, I’m panting.
 
“How dare you. . . .!” I breathed heavily.
 
“Oh well, I think I deserved that” he said, massaging his cheek while wearing a knowing look on his face. As our eyes met, I suddenly felt afraid. I don’t like what I’m seeing. No, I don’t like it at all. “You do realize what’s going on, don’t you?”
 
My voice failed me.
 
“I like you” he said. “A lot, actually. And I think – no, I’m sure of it – you’re beginning to like me, too. That’s why you’re pretending that you don’t see how I look at you because it’s scaring you”
 
“That’s. . . that’s not true” I whispered.
 
He smiled. “I still have a chance against him, then”
 
“Ha!” I breathed. “Ha ha. . . very funny!”
 
He just stared at me knowingly.
 
“Ugh! I hate you! I declared, pushing him away from me. “I LOVE KWON JIYONG AND HIM ALONE, YOU GOT THAT?!”
 
And then, I ran away. Along the way, I bumped into someone. “I’m sorry” I mumbled.
 
“Dara, are you alright?”
 
I looked up. It was Kevin. “Y-yes” I nodded. “I’ll go ahead”
 
- - -
 
“Jiyong! We’re running out of supplies. You go and make a list of what we need”
 
“You’re off to the grocery at this time?”
 
“No, you’re going to the grocery. I’m going to clean the apartment, anyway”
 
“Dara, it’s already 6pm” he pointed out.
 
“So?”
 
“What’s wrong with you?”
 
“I’m fine” I told him. “If you don’t go now, we’re going to starve”
 
“You’re being melodramatic”
 
I glared at him. “Just go, will you?”
 
“Fine” he sighed.
 
“And oh, before I forgot. I’m running out of sanitary pads and pills. Put them on your list, too”
 
“Sanitary pads? Pills?” he asked in disbelief. “I can’t buy those!”
 
“Yes you can!” I fiercely said. “If you don’t want to buy them, that’s fine with me. But you do know what will happen if I stop taking pills, right?”
 
His face turned dark.
 
- - -
 
I furiously cleaned the tiled floor of the bathroom. “How dare he say I like him?! The nerve of that guy, really! Bah! Oooh, I hope that overly large and thick head of his will blow up. . . .arrogant. . . think he’s so handsome. . .!”
 
The doorbell rang. I froze. Thinking the person’s TOP, I scowled and stood up, taking my rubber gloves furiously. I marched towards the door and pulled it open, ready to shout. But it wasn’t TOP.
 
“Hi!” Ahn Sohee brightly greeted with a wide smile on her face. And her luggage didn’t escape my eyes along with her fluffy pink mini skirt.
 
Now what?