The New Girl

The Black Phoenix

 

*banner by sweetmafi
-----------------------------
 
AUTHOR’S POV
 
“Hi” Dara stiffly greeted back, her spine all straight.
 
Sohee’s smile widened. “Ah, it’s nice to see you again, Dara” she said, giving her a brief hug. “So, where’s Jiyong?”
 
“He’s not here”
 
“Oh” Sohee mumbled.
 
They fell into a moment of silence. They just stared at each other, none of them daring to move. Dara had the impulse of shutting the door close on her face, her grip tightening on the handle. She was just a second away from slamming it when the girl spoke again.
 
“Err, where did he go?” she asked politely.
 
“Out” she answered, barely moving her lips.
 
“Oh” Sohee brightly said. “I’ll wait for him inside then”
 
But Dara didn’t move or step back. Her eyes went back to Sohee’s luggage. “What’s with the luggage?” she boldly asked, sounding a bit rude.
 
“Oh this” she chuckled. “My things”
 
Dara’s head snapped back up. She then silently inspected her. The girl was obviously garbed in designer clothes. Her time with Han Eul has taught her a few things about those types of clothes. She also had baby-smooth skin that seemed to glow. Her hair looked well-taken care of. All of the sudden, Dara felt. . .insecure. Unconsciously, she fidgeted with her necklace.
 
“That’s a beautiful pendant” Sohee nodded to the black angel on her chest.
 
“Jiyong made this for me” she answered. “He also gave me this ring” she added, showing her ring to her, well, she almost shoved it to Sohee’s face, actually. Sohee’s eyes widened slightly but then, she just smiled again.
 
“Sohee!” a familiar voice came. “What are you doing here outside?”
 
“Jiyong!” Sohee exclaimed, throwing herself to him. This made Dara’s eyes wide.
 
“You’re choking me” Jiyong coughed. “And in case you didn’t notice, I’ve got my hands occupied here. Let go”
 
“Oh, sorry” Sohee chuckled, stepping back. “It’s been a while since I saw you”
 
“Well, you chose not to contact me, did you?”
 
“Well, I was pissed when you. . . well, you know what happened”
 
“PANCAKE!” Dara cleared .”Did you buy the BIRTH CONTROL PILLS I asked you to?” she asked, deliberately showing Sohee that GD’s sharing a very intimate relationship with her.
 
“Yes, I did” he growled. Then he turned back to Sohee. “Come inside”
 
“Want some help with those grocery bags?” Sohee asked.
 
“Right” Jiyong snorted. “With that luggage of yours, I doubt if you can offer an extra hand”
 
“I’ll help you” Dara said eagely, stepping forward.
 
Jiyong glared at her. “The only time I’ll let you carry heavy things is when you’ve gained weight” he scowled. “You might just break your arm”
 
“Ya!” I’m not that thin” she pouted.
 
“Now, step aside” he said. “Why are you blocking the way, anyways?”
 
“I’m not” she denied, “blocking the way” she finished and stepped aside. She reached out for the bags, trying to show him that she can carry heavy things.
 
“Leave it, Dara”
 
“I just want to help” she mumbled.
 
“Just stay out of the way for a while” he said quite harshly. It would have put Dara off but she was determined to keep an eye or her two eyes on Jiyong. “I bought dinner, by the way”
 
- - -
 
JIYONG’S POV
 
I watched as Dara placed a glass of juice on the table in front of Sohee. She put it down with much force her tiny arm could muster that a small amount of juice bounced to Sohee’s face. I stared at her in amusement. I saw her glared at Sohee, not bothering to apologize as she walked her way towards me. Dara had always been a friendly person. Right from the beginning, she goes all right with everyone. Seeing her acting rude towards Sohee amused and surprised me. As I was about to put a piece of food into my mouth, she suddenly grabbed the fork and shoved the meat inside . She returned the fork to me and climbed on my lap, settling herself sideways. I caught Sohee’s look. She had her brows raised at me. I glanced back at Dara’s face. She had her jaw set in a stubborn way and she was all stiff as she stared darkly at Sohee.
 
“So. . .” Sohee started.”Is it alright if I stay here for a while?
 
“Why?” Dara asked. “With your clothes, I can tell you’re rich. Surely, you could get a house or apartment for yourself? And besides, we only have one room and the three of us won’t fit in the bed”
 
I stifled a laugh at the expression on Sohee’s face. I was pretty surprised with Dara’s show of rudeness and bluntness myself.
 
“That’s okay” Sohee said. “I could sleep on the couch”
 
Dara pursed her lips. I can’t help but chuckle. Her head whipped at me, looking rather fierce. I planted a soft kiss on her neck and she relaxed a bit.
 
“How’s school by the way?” Sohee opened again.
 
“Good” I simply answered. “I take you’ll be studying here, too?”
 
“Yeah. Dad wants me to” she answered, sounding a bit disgruntled. “We had a fight about it actually. I was doing pretty good in my own in Europe but. . . oh well, he told I need to come home”
 
I didn’t say anything at once. Sohee gave me a pointed look I nodded once. There are other reasons of her sudden appearance, of course. But we can’t talk about it in front of Dara.
 
“And he’s been raging on about what I wanted to take up in college” Sohee went on, looking animated. “How about you two? What are you planning to take up?”
 
“Well, it’s really none of your business, is it?” Dara piped in. I stared at Dara in disbelief. As far as I can remember, what she just said was MY sort of lines, not hers.
 
Sohee’s eyes narrowed. “You’re quite rude and tactless, aren’t you?”
 
“If necessary, I think I can be” Dara coolly returned.
 
But Sohee just smirked and turned to me. “What are your plans for college?”
 
I lifted my brows. “I think you already have an idea. Why bother asking?”
 
“Who knows?” she shrugged. “You might have changed your mind like the way you changed your mind on. . . . certain things”
 
“Still firm as before” I waved off, giving her a warning look.
 
“You didn’t tell me what you wanted to take up for college!” Dara turned to me, sounding a bit whiny.
 
“I did”
 
“No, you didn’t” she insisted.
 
“He wants to be an architect” Sohee butted in.
 
“Oh,” Dara mumbled, frowning a little. I smiled. I find it adorable when she’s doing that.
 
“What do you want to take up in college?” I softly asked.
 
“Well. . . .” she trailed. “I’m not sure if I’ll be able to pursue that. I don’t have enough money. . .”
 
“Don’t be stupid” I told her.
 
“I’m not being stupid!” she defiantly said. “I’m just telling the truth”
 
I rolled my eyes. Sher eally had a below-the-sea-level intellect. Of course I’ll shoulder the expenses but I’m not going to say it out loud. . . not yet. Just then, a phone started ringing.
 
“Excuse me” Sohee said, standing up. Just as she went to the living room, I heard her say, “Dad”
 
“So, what do you want to take up?” I asked Dara again. “Given you have money”
 
“Well. . . I haven’t really thought about it” she confessed. “But if you’re taking architecture, then I think engineering or interior designing would be my options. They’re kind of related to your course”
 
“Dara” I patient said. “You have to take what you really like, not because it’s related to what I want”
 
She bowed her head. “T-there’s only one thing I really want” she mumbled.
 
“What is it?”
 
She mumbled something inaudible that I had to ask again. Her cheeks turned pink, her lips moving soundlessly.
 
“Dara” I sighed impatiently.
 
“I want. . .” she started. “I want to be your wife. That’s the only thing I want to be. . .”
 
She looked up at me. I don’t know what exactly she saw in my face because she bowed again, looking as if she’s about to cry.
 
“But I know it’s impossible” she amended, smiling a little.
 
“You know that I-”
 
“I know” she cut off.
 
Footsteps suddenly became audible. “Ugh!” Sohee groaned. “Dad’s such a nagger!”
“I haven’t seen your father at school” I said as we resumed eating dinner. Dara turned unusually quiet.
 
“He’s busy with. . . stuff” Sohee shrugged but not before she gave me another pointed look. “How are the classes, by the way?”
 
“Just the basics, to tell you the truth” I shrugged back. “But the. . . other library’s pretty useful”
 
Sohee nodded. “My friends would freak out when they see me tomorrow”
 
“Friends?” I scoffed. “The whole school would probably freak out. Their princess has finally returned”
 
Sohee narrowed her eyes. “You should thank me, you know. I pretty much ordered them to. . . calm themselves down when. . . well. . . anyways, I haven’t heard anything from Seungri and the others”
 
“Bom’s pregnant” I started.
 
“AAAAAHHHH!!!” Sohee shrieked. “Really?!”
 
“Jesus, woman! Keep your voice down, will you?”
 
“Sorry, I got so excited!” she squealed, clapping her hands.  “What else?”
 
“I think she’ll be having the baby soon” I went on. “Youngbae’s already working in a factory. And Seungri. . . well, he just became more pathetic, I guess. You should go comfort him. That’s your expertise, right?”
 
“Why? What’s wrong with him?”
 
“You ask him” I grunted.
 
- - -
 
Sohee was laughing endlessly on a rather corny gag show. She really resembles Dara in some aspects. Speaking of, Dara’s sitting in between me and Sohee. Her head was resting on my shoulder and she’s been yawning nonstop. She cuddled closer to me. I glanced down at her and saw her eyes were drooping close.
 
“Time for the little giant baby to sleep” I said. I shifted to her side a little and gathered her in my arms. Sohee shook her head and smirked.
 
I went to the room and placed Dara on the bed, tucking her in. I leaned down and kissed her forehead. “Pancake” she mumbled. “ I smiled and gave her a quick peck on the lips.
 
I slowly and quietly went to the door and stepped out, closing the door behind me. I went to join Sohee on the sofa. We were both silent for a long time. “I guess I owe you one” I finally broke the silence. “When the other students saw us together, I kind of expected they’ll do something to her”
 
“Well, she was okay the first time I met her. We could have been friends if she’s not so jealous and you weren’t so darn handsome” she said. “I’m still wondering how she tamed you. First pancake and now, little giant baby? Seriously? Are you really the Jiyong I knew?”
 
“Huh” I snorted. “So that’s the reason why you wanted to stay here. You’re curious about her”
 
“That’s just not the reason and you know it, Jiyong” she snapped. “They ALL think the wedding’s still on, that YOU just chose to delay it. They ALL think Dara’s just one of your flings. If they thought otherwise, Dara would probably be rotting six feet under the ground already. You’re pretty lucky they regard you differently because of your status. And if that marriage won’t pursue, then screw you”
 
I laughed lightly. “For someone so small, you could be quite loud”
 
“I’ve been quiet long enough” she said.
 
“Have you been into the Nest?”
 
“Yep” she said, sounding a bit grim. “Something weird’s going on. I’m not sure if any of those THINGS would make then rush us into marriage or not”
 
“What about the political aspect?”
 
“Not good, either” she said. “Your stepdad’s in a compromising situation and don’t ask me why, I don’t know the full details yet. But I heard he’s in danger of being kicked from the High Table. I saw your mother, too. She isn’t looking her best”
 
“Maybe she’s stressed with the situation” I frowned. “What a bull of crap. Why would they kick him out?”
 
“I told you, I don’t know yet” she said. “Maybe because he failed in luring you in taking your RIGHTFUL place, as what they call it”
 
“They only want me to join them because they think I’m so powerful, being what they said as the direct descendant. I don’t even feel one”
 
“But YOU are the direct descendant and you’ll be the strongest shadow of this generation once you learn to let the darkness reign in”
 
“”Reign the darkness in” I snorted. “And what? Kill everyone I see? Forget the meaning of friendship and things?”
 
She turned quiet. A toothpaste commercial’s currently being shown. After the ad, Sohee spoke again. “You have her THE RING”
 
I grimaced and chose to keep my mouth shut.
 
“She’s making you vulnerable” she went on. “And it won’t do you good. It won’t do any of us good. It won’t even do her good. You can’t allow her to get too deep, Jiyong”
 
 
--------------------
*SORRY FOR THE TYPOS GUYS!!!!
And oh, check these banners out!
by iLove18
(10-25) The Black Phoenix by iLove18
 
by fnnyhalim
(12-4) Crazy Little Thoughts by fnnyhalim
 
KYA!!! THANK YOU GUYS!! I LOVE Y'ALL!