The Battle Within

The Black Phoenix

*banner by Jordayn!

Oh, err, to those who don't know, this fic is a sequel to the fic The Shadows. It's better to read that one first before reading this one as I just read a commenter being confused with the story. So, go HERE first

 

o=o=o
 
AUTHOR’S POV
 
The stars blinked tirelessly down on earth. Jiyong wasn’t really sure what time it was already since he was in his crow form. He’s been resting on a branch of a tree for quite some time now. He didn’t really want to use his abilities for he wanted to live as a normal person but he needed a break. Well, he didn’t really have a break. He was stalking Kevin Woo but so far for  weeks now, he can’t see any trace of dirt on him. He was actually resolved in watching him the whole night but when Kevin started playing pop songs and dancing along with it, he wasn’t able to stand the sight. The guy was worst than Dara’s washing machine dance. The guy had a sort of routine everday. He'd go to school, attend his classes, eat lunch at the rooftop alone, go to this place with some people doing some yoga then he walks home.
 
He gave a screech with no particular reason. He just felt like doing so. He wasn’t sure whom he was annoyed the most: Dara – for being a shadow magnet; TOP – for being good looking and the hero twice now. Or himself  – for being the way he was.
 
Dara. . . his relationship with her is very confusing for him. He didn’t really want her to be too friendly or flirty with other guys but he can’t also help but notice how she seemed so dedicated to him. He was back to being torn. A possessive side of him wants her to stay away from anyone who wears pants while a sensible part of him want her to go out and make new friends. He was never like this before. He wasn’t even like this when he was going out with Bom. Maybe he just wanted to screen all of Dara’s friends, most especially the guys. Before, he used to think that she’s quite ordinary looking but well, it was a lie. The truth is, she stands out from a crowd.
 
Then, there’s TOP. He wasn’t sure if the other guy’s just playing a game or he’s being serious. He hated how the guy always saves Dara whenever he’s not around. And he definitely hated the fact that TOP’s on the advantage when it comes to looks though Dara seemed to think he’s way ier than TOP, he can’t help but feel a bit. . . edgy. Not just that, his girl seems comfortable with the other guy, too. The guy can make Dara laugh which he obviously could not do. He can make her smile, chuckle, giggle and all but he can’t make her laugh out loud like that. He’s not really into the joke stuff anyways. He’s sure TOP doesn’t harbor any DEEP feelings for Dara, well at least not yet. He saw how the guy looks at his girl and he can’t help but compare it to the way Youngbae and Seungri looks at Bom and CL. But he wasn’t that stupid not to see the meaningful stares the guy was throwing at Dara. His thoughts went back to what TOP said about the ring. Truth be told, he never thought about the implications of it simply because he was directed into thinking that it would make Dara happy.
 
Now that’s one of the reasons why he’s annoyed with himself. He’s not using his brain lately. His priorities are jumbled up, too. As far as he can recall, his number one priority was to keep Dara alive so her safety always comes first. Second goes to her happiness. But lately, the two seemed to exchange places. Maybe he was also to blame for being at ease, thinking that the danger’s really over because Sulli’s dead already. But here it goes again. . . but why her? Could it be because she’s involved with him?
 
He froze. No, he doesn’t want to feel the way he does. He’s becoming weaker and weaker by the minute but not in the physical sense. Lately, he usually gives in to what SHE wants and needs. He’s being more vulnerable. Being vulnerable can be a liability just like what happened to Youngbae before that led him and Seungri to fight the other off that resulted to a scar on Seungri’s face. He screeched impatiently. His life wasn’t as complicated as this before. Back then, he wasn’t bothered by any of these conflicting thoughts and emotions. If only he could go back to that time again. With another screech, he spread his wings out and took flight.
 
As he flew back to the apartment, something hard unexpectedly hit his head. He circled around the area for a moment but he saw nothing and no one. He didn’t even sense any shadow nearby. Dismissing it as a mere imagination, he proceeded on going back to the apartment. However, a few minutes later, he started feeling dizzy, his eyes going blurry until he finally lost consciousness. Surprisingly, he was able to flap his wings one more time and maintain his altitude. But he was slowly falling.
 
- - -
 
TOP was on his way home. He skipped choir practice again. He was exchanging messages with Dara. He usually taunts Dara how her boyfriend mistreats her but he decided to change course. So instead of making her realize the flaws in their relationship, he decided to be a nice friend and a shoulder to cry on since the couple is still on in a cold war for a while now. Out of nowhere, something dropped in front of him. He almost stepped on it but he was able to step back. As he stared at it, he realized it was a bird, a crow to be exact. And it wasn’t just any ordinary crow. It was a shadow in crow form.
 
- - -
 
JIYONG’S POV
 
Something was throbbing at the side of my head. I groaned and opened my eyes. I frowned as unfamiliar surroundings greeted me. I pushed myself off the bed, readying myself for any attack but nothing came.
 
“Finally, you’re up”
 
My ears pricked at the familiarity of the voice. It was TOP. “Where am I?” I barked at him.
 
He cocked one brow up. “My place, obviously” he said. “You dropped out of nowhere in front of me. You should be grateful I didn’t leave you on the street or stepped on you”
 
My pride didn’t allow me to thank him. “I’m leaving” I grunted, standing up.
 
“Dara’s on the way” he said.
 
“You told her?!” I asked in disbelief.
 
“Of course I did” he said. “She wouldn’t come here if I didn’t, did I?”
 
“ you!” I hissed.
 
“Ah. . . still as rude as ever” a lady’s voice joined in.
 
“Ya! Old lady, what are you doing here? Where’s MinMin? I told her to watch over you. You should be in bed right now, resting” TOP ranted, turning around.
 
“Don’t let Minzy hear you calling her MinMin” the old lady snorted. “I cam to see Jiyong, of course”
 
There was a moment of silence.
 
“You. . . you know him?” TOP breathed.
 
“Step aside so he can see me”
 
When TOP step aside, I was left speechless for a while. Then, memories came flooding back to me. The old lady. . . she was the fortune-teller, the fortune-teller that almost ruined everything. No, not almost. She ruined some things. “YOU. . . . . .!” I breathed.
 
“I knew we’d meet again” she smiled”
 
“Oh yeah?” I came up the same time TOP demanded, “You know each other?”
 
“I’m actually wondering why YOU know her, too” I said.
 
“She’s my. . .” TOP stalled, looking at the woman with a frown in his face. “She’s my caregiver”
 
“Caregiver?” the woman snorted, hitting, TOP in the head.
 
“Oww” he groaned.
 
“Aww, how sweet” I sarcastically said.
 
“Tabi, Dae and Minzy. . . they’re my adopted children” the fortune teller said.
 
“How did you know each other?” TOP asked again.
 
I didn’t dare answer. I feel like being kicked in the gut. It’s like the ghost of the past came back to haunt me. I don’t know if it’s mere coincidence or if it’s. . . . fated. If it’s fated, then fate is mocking me.
 
“I’m sorry if I caused you trouble before. It was out of my hand” the lady quietly said.
 
I snorted. “You’re sorry for causing trouble? Your prediction didn’t just cause a simple trouble, you old hag!”
 
“Hey, watch your language!” TOP butted in.
 
“Keep away from this” she sternly scolded. “This doesn’t involve you”
 
“I-”
 
“TOP, Dara’s here” a new voice came. What was his name again? Oh right, Daesung.
 
“Where?” he asked.
 
“Outside” Daesung answered.
 
“You should have let her in” TOP scowled at him. They turned to leave. And since I don’t have any plans to stay, I started following them out. As I was nearing the door, a hand suddenly grabbed my arm, stopping me.
 
“Something bad is going to happen to her” the old woman said. I froze for a moment. Then, I smirked. “I don’t really think you’re still capable of making predictions” I told her and pulled my arm out of her grasp.
 
I saw Dara talking to TOP and Daesung. I silently walked towards them. Without saying anything, I grabbed her wrists and started dragging her with me. I could tell she was surprised since she squeaked and jumped but I didn’t pay heed to any of it. A strong grip on my wrist stopped me. I turned to see who it was.
 
“Are you trying to break her arm?” TOP demanded.
 
“TOP, it’s o-” Dara started.
 
“Mind your ing damn own business” I hissed at TOP as I gripped his hand off me. Without glancing at Dara, I went on dragging her with me.
 
“Ow, Jiyong” she complained.
 
“TOP, no” I heard Daesung whispered from behind.
 
 
DARA’S POV
 
I feel like he’s ripping my arm off my body. I don’t know what’s gotten into him lately. He’s been acting. . . . really, really rude. I should be at least offended but I realized I can’t really stay pissed or annoyed or angry at him. We haven’t talked for what felt like centuries and my resolve’s slowly melting. I’m so close to making the first move. Like right now, instead of being angry, I feel like hugging him. I got really worried when TOP called a while ago but I’m glad to see Jiyong’s fine. The only thing that’s stopping me from hugging him now is my pride. But believe me, I’m very close to swallowing it down for him, too. It was torture, well at least for me, to see him everyday at the apartment and not talk to him. It was so hard to sleep every night when he’s not beside me. He’s been sleeping in the sofa at the living room. He usually arrives late at night too and leave early in the morning even before I wake up. I held my tears inside me because of pride but I desperately missed him and I desperately wanted him beside me again.
 
As we made our way back to the apartment, I decided to end this. . . misunderstanding. I was about to open my mouth when he suddenly let go of my wrist. He quickened his pace then, he suddenly disappeared. I paused and stared at the spot where he disappeared. I exhaled slowly in an attempt to hold the tears back and to lessen the heavy poundings of my heart. I bit my lower lip to stop it from trembling. Hugging myself tightly, I started walking to the apartment, alone.
 
- - -
 
I arrived at the apartment a while later. Jiyong was on the sofa with his pillow and blanket again, watching television. I find this odd because he doesn’t really watch television shows. He prefers books than television. I was caught in a moment to approach him nut my pride held me back again. With a sigh, I went to the room and went straight to the bathroom. I took a quick shower then put on an ordinary pajama before going to bed. I stared at the ceiling. I can’t take this anymore. I pushed myself up again and took the package wrapped in brown paper under the bed. Hugging the rectangular item to my chest, I walked back to the living room. I went to turn off the television and was glad that he didn’t reacted violently to it. Actually, he didn’t react AT ALL. I glanced at the digital clock and waited for twelve midnight to come before rounding on the little glass table and stand in front of him. He wasn’t looking at me but that didn’t stop me from saying what I wanted to say. “I’m sorry” I told him.
 
I waited for him to say anything. But he remained silent. “Pancake, I’m really sorry” I murmured. “I don’t want to fight with you anymore” I added. When he remained silent, I handed him the package I was holding. “Happy birthday, by the way”
 
He looked up at me. Surprise was written all over his face but then he scowled and looked away, not touching the package.
 
“Open it” I urged him. “I made it myself”
 
Still, he remained silent.
 
“Pancake, please” I whispered, half-begging, half-sobbing.
 
With a growl, he violently ripped the brown paper wrapper. He then paused and stared at ‘my work’. It didn’t really cost me that much. At first, I thought of withdrawing all of my savings from the back to buy him an expensive gift but I remembered he’s not into gifts that much, much more birthday celebrations and all plus, he’s inconspicuously rich, he could buy anything he want but since he’s not really a materialistic person, I decided to give him a personalized gift in the end.
 
My gift in my pure own opinion is a cute and colorful cartoon-inspired caricature. Wait, aren’t all caricatures cartoon-inspired? Oh well, never mind that. At the center was Jiyong’s oddly huge rude face but instead of his normal body, I attached his face to a little body of a crow with its miniscule wings spread out wide so cutely. And then, at the bottom was a tiny drawing of me staring up at Jiyong with clasped hands as if in prayer and instead of eyes, I drew two hearts on my face in replacement of normal eyes.
 
From my position, I think I saw him smile. I’m not really sure since he had his head down. He stared at my gift for a long time that I started feeling anxious. “I love you” I blurted out of nervousness.
 
He set the framed gift on the table, making my heart flutter. He pushed it away from him.  I think I’m going to break down in front of him any moment now. But then, he suddenly grabbed me by the waist and pulled me down with him on the sofa. I squeaked in surprise but I was soon silence by his soft lips pressed hard against mine. His hand was already travelling somewhere down that the pace of events confused me.
 
Aigoo, I think I’m going to have a rough night. . .
 
Sooner or later, I just found out that we were both , all credits to him of course. I swear, I didn’t even lift a finger! Haist, unbelievable! I gasped when he GRABBED each of my thighs with each of his hands to spread them apart, his fingers digging into my flesh. He was still holding my thighs apart when he positioned himself in between me, looking very comfortable if I may add.
 
“I missed you” I murmured, trying to reach his face. He didn’t say anything. Instead, he answered my words with his sudden penetration. My back arched back that I was almost lifted off the sofa. Gah, this is what I love about make up ! The urgency and desperation to be together is totally beyond words! He lowered his upper torso on me and claimed my lips once again. I quickly and desperately clung to his shoulders as loud moans of satisfaction started escaping my lips.
 
It’s official. I’m definitely having a rough time.
 
I’m not complaining, though.
 
- - -
 
I woke up with the steady rise and fall of his chest. I kept my eyes closed as memories of last night flashed into my mind. I smiled. What Jiyong did last night is how a boyfriend should make amends to his girlfriend. No words needed just pure action. Hehehe.
 
I sighed contentedly. I was lying on top of Jiyong. The sofa isn’t really as wide as the bed, so it’s more comfortable for the both of us to be in this position. When his warm hand started rubbing my , I blinked my eyes open and looked up at his face. I grinned at him. He smirked arrogantly back.
 
“Good morning” I croaked. “So. . . I guess we’re okay now?”
 
He smirked again. “I’ve been staring at your gift” he said. “The longer I stare at it, the more I find it pathetic and ridiculous”
 
“Ya!” I burst out. Ah, we’re definitely okay.
 
He laughed. “Why, good morning too”
 
It was so nice hearing him laugh again that I can’t help but smile at him. “Happy birthday” I told him. “And since it’s your birthday, you’ll be my master and I’ll be your servant for the day. Wait here, I’ll go make you breakfast in bed. . . err, breakfast in sofa rather”
 
I pushed myself off him but his arms went around me quite possessively. Aigoo! What is he up to now, eh? Aish. . . can’t he see that it won’t do him good if we stay longer in a position like this? I mean, we’re both to the core for Pete’s sake.
 
“Ya! You have to let me go” I said.
 
He shook his head. His hand started going up and down my again while keeping me still with his other arm.
 
I clicked my tongue. “Seriously, pancake! I still have to make breakfast for you. Aish!”
 
He lifted his head off the pillow and reached for my lips. I could only sigh in contentment. Gah! He’s doing that slow and sweet kiss again. It’s the kiss that usually leaves me dazed! Aish! Is this his way of showing that he missed me too? Aigoo! Is he trying to kill me? His lips are moving oh so slowly and lightly against mine. I think my soul just left my body and flew straight to heaven.
 
----
*keke.. new banners!! kyaaa!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU!!
by strong-bby:
(10-20) The Black Phoenix by strong-bby
 
by fuarief:
(10-21) The Black Phoenix by fuarief