Chapter 24

The Manny

Chapter 24

When Key and Yooguen arrived to the bakery, it wasn't quite crowded, but at the same time it wasn't empty either. The two walked into the bakery and sat down at a booth by the window. Onew finished his shift and walked over to Key and Yooguen. “Onew hyung!” The little boy exclaimed, excited to see the older boy. Onew smiled and sat next to him. He took out a bag and handed it to Yooguen, “fresh baked bread, especially for you, Yooguennie.” The little boy ripped off a piece of bread and began to munch on it, “yummy!” the two older boys smiled and happily watched the little boy eat. Onew looked at Key and smiled, “So, how have you been?” Key released a sigh and said, “Good, and you?” Onew nodded, “same.” The akwardness was starting to grow between them. This was new. They always found something to talk about together, but this time, there was nothing for them to talk about. Onew looked at Yooguen who was still munching on his bread, happily. “Thank you.” Key said breaking the silence. Onew was a bit surprised to hear him speak, let alone thank him. “For what?” Key looked at Yooguen then back at Onew, silently telling him ‘thank you for cheering him up.’ Onew smiled sweetly and replied, “It’s not a problem, really.” Key smiled in return and the three sat by the window, the akwardness slowly ebbing away.


 

 

Meanwhile, Jonghyun was signing paper after paper after paper. His vision was becoming blurry. “Minho, can you get me some water please.” Minho nodded, “of course.” Sekyung looked at her partner and said, “Now Jonghyun, we have to pick up the pace, these papers need to be filed in by next week.” Jonghyun was becoming tired. He couldn’t do it, he needed a break. Before he had the chance to say something, he felt his body hit the floor and everything went black, all he heard was something crashing and the sound of Minho’s voice, “Jonghyun! Sekyung call a doctor now!”


 

 

It was becoming mid afternoon and Onew, Key, and Yooguen happily left the movie theater chatting about the theater. “The big puffy guy was my favorite!” Yooguen exclaimed. Key nodded, “I think it was everybody’s favorite.” Onew agreed. It was then that Key’s phone rang. Seeing that it was Minho, Key answered, “Hello?”


“Key, it’s me. Listen, I know you’re out with Yooguen, but do you think you guys could come home, right now.” He said softly.

 

“We just finished the movie, we’ll get a ride from Onew right now, is everything alright?” Key wondered suddenly hearing tiredness and worry in Minho’s voice.

 

“Jonghyun collapsed, he was working all day without stopping and collapsed after asking for some water.” Minho began. “The doctor just left, he said that Jonghyun is fine, but he will need to take a two week leave from work so he can rest and recover.” He finished, silently thanking the doctor, who was leaving.

Suddenly, something within Key ignited. He felt two different emotions, one was worry for Jonghyun and the second was rage, he knew that he should’ve rested. “I’ll be right there, tell me is Sekyung near by?”

 

“Sekyung? Yeah, she’s in the bathroom crying.” Minho replied. “Listen, I don’t want to worry Yooguen so maybe-“

 

“No, the poor boy has been pushed away from spending time away from his father, if this is how they spend it then that’s how it will be. As for Sekyung, don’t let her leave the house, I have a few things I want to discuss with her.” Key spoke interrupting Minho mid sentence.

 

Minho had surpress a chuckle, ‘she’s in for it now.’ He thought before replying, “Alright, no worries. See you soon.”


After hanging up, Key turned to Onew who looked at the younger worried, “We need to get home Onew.” Onew nodded and lead them back to his car. “Key umma, what’s going on?” Yooguen wondered. “Your appa fainted, he was too tired and fainted, Yooguen so we need to go home and see him.” Yooguen’s eyes instantly glazed with tears. “Don’t worry Yooguennie, appa is fine. Although a certain partner of his won’t be when I’m through with her.” This made Yooguen chuckle, “Someone is in trouble~” He sang. Key smiled, “yes, big trouble.” Once they got into the car, Onew drove Key and Yooguen home.


 

 

When the two arrived home, Yooguen ran into Minho’s arms and uttered, “Where’s appa? I want to see my appa.” Minho nodded and carried him upstairs. “Where’s Sekyung?” Key asked. Minho gestured to the kitchen. Key nodded and walked into the kitchen where Sekyung sat, her hands were shaking. “So, Sekyung, how was your day?” Key asked. The woman gulped and looked at Key before uttering, “Key, I don’t want to hear it right now.” Key slammed his hand on the table and said, “Oh, no, you will defiantly hear it and you will hear a lot of it. I don’t know what got into you today, but what gives you the right to control Jonghyun’s life? Yooguen asked his father out and then you show up and tell Jonghyun that he has to work. You do understand that people will blame you for this, right?” Sekyung stood up and said, “You’re one to talk, what have you done to him? He was never like this before, every day its all about you and Yooguen.” Key then looked at Sekyung and forced her to sit back down before asking, “Do you think of Jonghyun more than just a business partner?” Sekyung blushed, “w-what made you think that?” Key smirked, “You’re jealous, first of all. Second of all, you blushed and finally, third of all, you stuttered when you answered me. So, what are your feelings for Jonghyun?” Sekyung looked at her hands and replied, “I love him.” Key nodded, “now everything suddenly makes sense, but can I tell you something. I don’t think Jonghyun feels the same way for you, nor do I think he will have those feelings for you.” Sekyung was infuriated, she stood up again and loomed over Key, “Why the hell not?” Key leaned foreword and said in a low tone so only she can hear, “there are two reasons, but I will tell you the most important one; Yooguen doesn’t like you, and you have spoken ill mannered about Yooguen in front of Jonghyun so that comes to the conclusion that you don’t like children so why would he like you given these facts?” Sekyung began to pace back and forth; Key had a point, all of that was true. “S-so what? I’ve been here longer than you have.” She began a little unsure of herself, but she gained confidence as she continued, “that’s right, I have been through all of Jonghyun’s hardships from when his wife passed, I became the next in line whether he accepts it or not is his decision.” Key smirked, “Right, what is this the era of kings and queens? You don’t become someone’s wife by working for them Sekyung, and it maybe true that you were with Jonghyun when those events occurred, but did you help him get through it, or did you tell him that work was the only way to forget about pain?” Sekyung turned silent. Key showed a small smile and said, “Now, I want you to leave Jonghyun alone for the time he needs to be healing, do I make myself clear.” Sekyung released a defeated sigh and said, “Yes.” Key nodded, “Good.” He his heal and left to go upstairs and check on Yooguen and Jonghyun. Sekyung left the kitchen and left to go home.