Chapter 23

The Manny

This shouldn’t have happened. He lost his cool, and now he had to pay the price. The day started out well, very well, in fact. Jonghyun, Yooguen, and Key were getting ready to go to the movies as they had planned. Jonghyun was helping Yooguen put on his coat when Sekyung walked out of Jonghyun’s office and demanded that he’d stay and finish his work. Jonghyun tried to explain to the woman that he had promised his son that he would join him for the day and that is when everything broke, “Jonghyun, I understand that he’s your son, but I mean come on you have to work too you know.” Then Key chimed in, “Not to be rude, but that is all Jonghyun ever does, he works and works and I’m sure he’d like a day to relax and spend with his family.” Sekyung huffed, “well I’m sorry, but in order to keep his son happy he needs to pay the bills right?” Key sighed and said, “Sekyung, life is not all about work. If you continue to force Jonghyun to work without taking a break then he’ll collapse from exhaustion, he needs to a break.” Sekyung growled lowly, “what do you know? I’m sure you had everything done for you, what would you know about work?” Key stood in front of the woman and said, “Let me enlighten you, I worked ever since I was in highschool. While you were crying because of a broken nail, I was working two jobs trying to pay for my education. Don’t you dare go about throwing your authority around acting you own the whole damn place.” Jonghyun sighed and took off his jacket, “I’ll be in my office.” Key grabbed Jonghyun’s arm, “wait a darn minute, Jonghyun. You promised Yooguen.” Jonghyun looked at Key and said, “I know, but Sekyung has a point.” Key couldn’t believe his ears. “What kind of a father are you? Your son asked you to come to the movies with us and you agreed, how could you break a promise like that, so easily?” Yooguen took Key’s hand and said, “Its ok, Key umma, appa did this before, it’s ok.” Key shook his head. “I don’t want this. If this is the way you treat your child, I don’t want this in a boyfriend either.” Jonghyun looked at Key who took Yooguen by the hand and took him out of the house and off to the movies. Sekyung stood smiling and said, “I’m glad that you see reason Jonghyun.” The producer shook his head, “I am such an idiot.” Jonghyun sat on the couch and said, “Why did you do that Sekyung, I told you that I wanted the day off to spend time with Yooguen.” Sekyung scoffed, “Jonghyun, why the sudden craving, you never did this before Kibum showed up, what’s so important about going to the movies with Yooguen.” Jonghyun stood up and said, “I want you to remember this and remember this well. I want to do this for Yooguen, I want to be the parent that I should be not the one that I have to be, that’s first of all. Secondly, I did spend time with Yooguen they were all on days when we didn’t have work or when you had the day off. Third, what is it about Key that gets under your skin? Maybe I want to spend time with both of them, so what?” Sekyung crossed her arms, “So what, Jonghyun, what about me and your job?” Jonghyun walked back into his office, “Key is right, if I don’t have a break from you and my job I will collapse, now let’s get to work.”

 

 

Meanwhile, Key and Yooguen arrived to the theater and were making their way inside when the little boy stopped. Key looked back at the younger boy, “Yooguen, what is it?” He heard the little boy sniffle then. “Y-Yooguen are you crying?” The little boy hugged Key tightly as he let silent tears flow down his face as he uttered, “I want my appa.” Key lifted the little boy in his arms and said, “Well then let’s go home.” Yooguen shook his head, “I still want to go to the movie, though.” Key then thought for a minuet before taking out his phone and said, “Hold on, I’ll call Onew, he’ll be able to lighten up the mood a bit.”

 

Onew was on his break when he answered his phone, “Hey Key, what’s going on? Are you alright?” He asked.

 

The younger smiled and replied, “Everything is fine, but Yooguen is a little down today, his dad was called into work and he couldn’t spend the day with us. I was hoping you would be able to help me cheer him up.”

 

Onew tsked and sighed, “No surprise there. I do feel bad for the boy. I know, let’s go out to eat, for lunch and then we can go to the theater for a movie.”

 

Key nodded, “Alright, we’ll head to the bakery then.” He heard an approving response from the older on the other line before hanging up and then looked at Yooguen who was looking back at the older boy, “you wanted to visit Onew hyung’s bakery?” Yooguen nodded, “Well, let’s go!” Yooguen’s eyes instantly brightened and he shouted, “Yeah! Let’s go!” Key smiled and walked to the bakery with Yooguen in his arms.