Chapter 17

The Manny

 

Sekyung walked into Jonghyun’s office in a happier mood than usual. She took off her coat and placed it onto the couch. Minho was a little curious himself as to what could have happened to make some one like Sekyung so cheerful all of a sudden. “Why are you so happy?” Jonghyun wondered. “She probably got a message on her answering machine.” Minho retorted.  Sekyung smirked happily, “if you must know, one of your employees is getting married, Jonghyun.” The other boy arched a brow, “well, congratulations Sekyung.” The girl frowned, “not me, Kibum.” Jonghyun’s eyes widened, “w-what?” “Yep, heard it myself, he was at the bakery with his, now fiancé.” Jonghyun couldn’t believe it. Key getting married, to who, when did this happen? Something in Jonghyun’s chest ripped in two, he couldn’t believe what he was hearing, Key was getting married? “m-married?” He uttered a little bitterly. Sekyung looked like she was getting ready to go to cloud nine. While Minho, in his gut, knew this was going to happen and he was completely aware that he had warned Jonghyun about this, but the older boy didn’t listen so this was the result. Sekyung practically skipped to the kitchen to get her self, her usual cup of coffee while Jonghyun just sat at his desk with Minho looking at him with an ‘I told you so’ look on his face. “Well, Jonghyun, are you satisfied?” Jonghyun buried his face in hands and muttered, “Don’t rub it in, Minho.” Minho did feel bad for Jonghyun, but he had warned him. “So what would you like me to do?” He asked in a softer tone. Jonghyun leaned back in his seat rubbing his temple, “let me be alone for a bit.” Minho nodded, “alright.” He slowly made his way out of the room, before leaving he said, “I’ll bring you something to drink later.” Jonghyun nodded. When Minho left, Jonghyun got out of his chair and began pacing about the room, ‘married….Key is getting married….Minho was right, I let someone like Key slip away from me…’ He thought as he leaned against the wall.  


 

 

Key walked into the house, with a small smile on his face.  He did what he thought was right, but something still felt off. He went into the kitchen where Sekyung and Minho were talking. “Ah, Kibum! Welcome home!” Sekyung spoke with a huge grin on her face. Minho rolled his eyes in annoyance. Key was a little confused, ‘what died and made her so happy?’ he thought to himself. Yoogeun suddenly ran into the kitchen and exclaimed, “Key umma! You’re back!” Key smiled and picked up the little boy who embraced him tightly. “Hey Yooguen, how are you?” He asked with a loving tone. “I’m good, but appa has been locked in his office all day.” Key placed the boy down and said, “I will see what’s going on.” Minho gulped, ‘I don’t think that is such a good idea.’ He wanted to say it, but he couldn’t bring himself  to voice those words, for some reason he wasn’t able to.


Key knocked on his boss’s door and opened it, inviting himself in to see Jonghyun on the couch his tie loose, hair a mess, and his face in his hands. “Um, hi Jonghyun.” Jonghyun looked up at the younger and stood up, “well, here you are, I thought you ran off with your new happy life.” Key was taken back, “what? What are you talking about?” He wondered. “Why didn’t you tell me that you were going to get married?” Key’s eyes widened, “h-how did you know?” Jonghyun huffed and replied, “Sekyung told us.” Key saddened, “so that’s why she’s in such a good mood.” Jonghyun rolled his eyes and went back to his desk. “I-I thought you’d be happy for me.” Key said, his voice now a little low and sad. “Me? What about me? You went off to get married that’s fine, but what about Yooguen?” Key released a breath and said, “I will of course continue to work under you and be there for him.” Jonghyun slammed his hands down onto his desk, “why did you have to go and ruin everything!” Key released a breath, he was beginning to loose his cool. “Jonghyun, I don’t see what the big problem is, Onew is a great person, and he asked me to marry him. I needed some time to think about it and-“ “Why didn’t you come and talk to me about it!” Key finally lost it, “I did! You told me to do what makes me happy! I’m sorry, but you need to stop your temper tantrum and wake the hell up from being five years old!” Jonghyun turned silent. “I look up to you, Jonghyun. I knew that you would give me good advice so I went with my gut and brought my problems to you. I thought you would at least be happy for me.” Key’s eyes became watery. “I-I’ll still work here, if that’s what you’re worried about.” Jonghyun sighed and rubbed his temples, “get out, just get out.” Key nodded, “alright.” He turned and left the office.


Minho walked into the office with a snack for Jonghyun. “You could’ve been a bit nicer to the guy.” Jonghyun didn’t reply he sat at his desk, in despair, practically. “Minho, are you on his side?” Jonghyun asked. “No, I’m not on anyone’s side, but I do have to admit, you were being a bit harsh, the guy is entitled to happiness and he did come to talk to you about it, you were too wrapped up in your work to notice.” Minho bowed and left the room. Jonghyun hands turned into fists, ‘Key, you really hurt me this time.’ He thought as he slowly began to go back to work.


 

 

Key was in the kitchen with Yoogeun. The little boy was drawing on a piece of paper with his crayons, while Key was preparing a snack for him. He was really surprised that Jonghyun knew about his engagement, how did he find out? Then he remembered how unusually happy Sekyung was when he came home. ‘She could’ve been in the bakery when he and Onew were talking. ‘Gee, they have ears everywhere in this house, literally.’ He thought to himself. Bringing over a small plate of snacks and some juice for Yoogeun, he set it on the table and went to the phone; he needed to talk to some one. Dialing a number he pressed the phone to his ear in between his shoulder.

“Hey hyung, congrats! Onew hyung told me the news!” Taemin spoke happily into the phone.

 

“Hey Taemin, but this entire house found out as well and they don’t seem happy, unless it’s the woman who works for Jonghyun.” He replied a little sadly.

 

“What? Not even Minho? That’s not right hyung, I’ll talk to him later.” Taemin spoke quite fast.

 

Key new that Taemin was still excited, which made the other male happy. “I’m glad that you’re happy for me at least.” It was at this moment that Jonghyun walked into the kitchen to grab a drink.

 

“Well they ought to be happy for you too, I mean what kind of boss is that over there seriously?” Taemin said suddenly serious.

 

“I know Taemin, but I guess my happiness isn’t really something that gets noticed here, that’s alright at least you’ll be there right?” Key asked, completely aware of Jonghyun’s presence while watching Yoogeun eat his snack. Jonghyun stopped and looked at Key, he realized it then, he was being a total jerk, he should’ve been happy for Key. He grabbed a bottle of water and left the kitchen.

 

“Of course, I wouldn’t have it any other way. Have you guys set a day yet?” Taemin wondered.

 

“No not yet, we’re going to get together to talk about that.” Key said leaning against the wall.

 

“Alright, well, I have to get going. I’ll see you soon, hyung.” Taemin replied getting up from his desk and heading out into the kitchen.

 

When they hung up, Key walked over to Yooguen and smiled, “what would you like to do later today, Yooguennie?” The little boy thought for a moment and said, “I want to go to the store today, I have some money to buy a toy I wanted.” Key chuckled, “alright, we’ll go later today.” He sat next to the younger and watched him, something inside him made him happy to watch the little boy doodle, he internally hoped that when he was with Onew, Jonghyun would let him take care of the boy.


 

 

In another part of the city, a girl was walking home from working at a bakery. She was all smiles because her long time friend was working with her on her shift. She really liked him, but at the same time she knew that it should be him to choose who he loves and spends his time with. However, she can’t help but think about him, she couldn’t put her feelings into words, but she did care for the boy. ‘Onew, will you ever acknowledge my feelings for you?’ she thought to herself as she continued walking home.