Chapter 12

The Manny

The Manny Chapter 12

Early the next morning, Minho was in the kitchen preparing breakfast when Jonghyun sleepily stumbled into the kitchen. “Good morning, Jonghyun.” The older grumbled something under his breath before collapsing into a chair, “god Minho do you have to be so damn cheerful?” The butler rolled his eyes, “Did you get up on the wrong side of the bed yet again?” He asked. The older sighed and said, “No, I have to deal with a friend of Key’s coming to lunch.” Minho arched a brow. “Really, who?” Jonghyun shrugged, “I don’t know but, I don’t like it.” Minho chuckled, “are you jealous of someone you haven’t met?” Jonghyun eyed Minho who was oblivious to the action but, looked down at his hands, “Minho, what if Key really likes him?” Minho chuckled, “Jonghyun, if its bothering you that much just confess to Key-“ “No! It’s not time yet, It’s still too soon since my wife passed. I’m not ready.” Minho sighed and said, “Jonghyun, let me give you a piece of advice not as your butler but as your friend. Kibum will not wait around forever. Your fear of commitment will only go so far. Before you know it Key will be getting married and you still won’t tell him how you feel. What its showing me is that you really don’t care about Key and that you’d be more than happy to be his best man at his wedding.” Jonghyun stood up and grabbed Minho by the collar, “What the hell do you know? You have no idea what its like to loose someone, to be left alone with a child that you don’t have time for!” Minho shrugged him off, “No Jonghyun, you choose to make time for Yoogeun, the fact of hiring a nanny is to stall and not do that. Yoogeun is growing up with out you Jonghyun and that’s worse than loosing a wife. No, I may not know what its like to loose someone but, I do know that this fear of yours needs to stop.” Jonghyun sighed and left the kitchen and went to go to his office. On his way, he ran into Key who smiled, “Good morning.” Jonghyun just sighed and muttered a quick, “morning” and went into his office.

 

When Key walked into the kitchen and noticed a fuming Minho, “did something happen?” He asked. Minho looked at Key and puffed out some frustrated air and said, “No, everything is alright. Come, I’ll make you some breakfast.” Key nodded and sat down at the table. “Key what do you think of Jonghyun?” Minho asked as he cracked two eggs into a frying pan. Key was a little taken back by the question but he answered anyway, “He’s nice.” “Just nice? Key the way you two were looking at each other at the party last night told me everything I need to know.” Key chuckled, “So why are you asking?” Minho set the plate down in front of him and sat down next to him. “So why wont you tell Jonghyun how you feel?” Key saddened, “I already know he will never love me for me. He sees the memory of his wife that I brought back.” Minho sighed and said, “You don’t know that.” The other boy shrugged and said, “Well, its alright, I have a boyfriend.” Minho’s eyes widened, “w-what?” Key nodded, “Yeah the guy that’s coming to have lunch with us today.” He said but it sounded like it something that he should’ve known a long time ago. “But, Jonghyun said it was a friend.” Minho replied a little confused. “Yeah, a boyfriend.” Key clarified. Minho sighed and got up to begin preparing lunch for later.

 

Key was waiting in the living room for Onew to come. He could hear Minho shuffling from kitchen to the dining room to get the table set. Yoogeun was playing with his blocks and other toys in the living room. Jonghyun was in his office with Sekyung finalizing a project that they’re working on. Taemin was taken home as soon as he had breakfast. “Key umma.” Yoogeun spoke curiously trying to get the older boys attention. Key came back from his trance and looked at the little boy, “Oh, sorry, what is it Yoogeunnie?” The little boy smiled and crawled into his lap and shyly handed him a box, “I made this for you.” Key smiled and opened the box, inside was a cut out heart that has a drawing of two stick figures one labeled Key and the other labeled Yoogeun. Key smiled, “Thank you Yoogeun this is very sweet. I’ll put it up on my dresser, that way I can always see it.” The little boy smiled happily and hugged his manny, “Thank you, umma!” He got off of his lap and went to continue playing with his toys.

 

A few minuets letter, the door bell sounded. Key went to the door. Opening, he was met with the kind and yet gentle eyes of Onew. Key smiled, “Hey, Onew you’re right on time,” he said as he stepped aside letting Onew in. The older looked around, “wow, nice place, Key. Maybe I should try and get some tips from you on how to get hired.” Key blushed and took off Onew’s coat to hang it up in the closet. From the office walked out Jonghyun he noticed the other boy that was with Key. Something in his gut didn’t mix right when he saw the two. He loudly cleared his throat, getting their attention. “Oh, Jonghyun, this is Onew. Onew, this is my boss, Kim Jonghyun.” The younger introduced the two. Onew’s eyes hardened suddenly as he took in Jonghyun’s form. Jonghyun looked back at the taller boy. It turned into an awkward silence, but Onew broke it. Smiling kindly, he offered his hand, “It’s an honor to meet the great Kim Jonghyun.” Jonghyun looked at Onew’s hand before plastering on his signature smile and shook his hand, “the pleasure’s all mine.” Key released a breath of relief before smiling and saying, “Shall we go and eat?” Onew nodded and followed Key to the dining room. Jonghyun gulped and looked at Minho who gave him an ‘I told you so’ look before saying, “They look comfy together don’t they, sir?” Jonghyun rolled his eyes before going to the dining room and sitting down at the head of the table. Yoogeun was sitting in his usual spot while Key and Onew sat together. Minho walked over and began to serve the food.

“So, Onew, what do you do?” Jonghyun asked smiling.

Onew smiled back and replied, “I recently got hired at a coffee shop and bakery.”

Jonghyun nodded and Yoogeun perked up, “b-bakery? What’s that?” He wondered.

Onew smiled, “It’s a place where they sell yummy bread and sweets.” He replied.

The little boy’s eyes widened beyond belief, “Key umma, can we go please~” He added a smile little whine after his plea.

The manny chuckled and nodded, “I don’t see why not, only if it’s ok with your appa.”

Yooguen turned to his father immediately who looked at his son and replied sternly, “No, Yoogeun. If you want bread and sweets we have those at home.”

Yoogeun immediately saddened. Onew smiled, “don’t worry Yoogeunnie, I’ll bring some over next time I come by.”

The little boy nodded which made Key’s heart ache. The lunch continued in silence with some small talk here and there.

 

After lunch was over, Onew was on his way to the door. “Key, thank you for inviting me.”

The younger smiled, “Not a problem.” He handed the older his coat before watching the older leave the house. Releasing a sigh, Key leaned against the door and looked up to see Jonghyun sitting on the love seat reading a magazine. He walked over to the older and took the magazine out of his hands.

“Why won’t you let Yoogeun go to Onew’s bakery?” He asked a little annoyed. Jonghyun arched a brow before replying,

“First of all, don’t forget who you are dealing with, your boss. Secondly, why should I let my son go to some sleazy café?”

Key shook his head in disbelief, “Now you suddenly care about your son?”

Jonghyun stood up and said, “Kibum, I have always cared about my son.”

“Then you would be taking him to the movies and to the bakery and- oh, I know what this is about now.” Key spoke, crossing his arms in front of his chest before continuing, “This is about Onew, you don’t breath right around him, that’s why you won’t let Yoogeun visit.” Jonghyun chuckled, “Why would this be about Onew?”

Key shrugged, “How should I know? I knew this was a bad idea. I thought you would be understanding, but you went all jealous.” Jonghyun’s eyes widened, “J-jealous? You think I am jealous?” Key nodded, “yes, you’re jealous that yoogeun might like Onew and looks up to him as a father.” Jonghyun’s look hardened, “get out.” Key blinked, “eh?” “I said get out.” Key looked at the older, “with my pleasure.” He turned away swiftly and walked upstairs to go and gather his things. He rushed down stairs and slammed the door. Jonghyun went back to his office and sat down on his couch. Minho rushed in and exclaimed, “are you out of your mind?! Why did you do that?” Jonghyun shrugged, “I can’t believe he called me a bad father. You don’t think I would’ve stood for that?” Minho sighed, “He did go a little too far, but Jonghyun he really wanted your approval and the fact that you rejected Onew’s invitation for your son, you rejected him as a person and that hurt Key.” Jonghyun rolled his eyes, “please, you’re just making that up.” Minho saddened, “I don’t know, you may have lost him now.” He left the room, leaving Jonghyun to his thoughts.