Dancing In The Rain (DAEJAE)

Casualty of Love (Oneshot Collection)

Last one~!


Daehyun only just managed to hear the thunder over the thumping bass that blasted from two towering speakers near the front of the house. It was a friend’s birthday and he’d only planned to make a short appearance. He enjoyed these sorts of parties but not enough to stay for very long. He scoffed as he saw the typical partygoers; some people breaking things, others getting blind drunk and others who were more eating each other’s faces than kissing. There were also plenty of regular looking people who were either dancing or standing around and talking. Those were the kinds of people Daehyun liked.
 
He moved through the throbbing dance floor where there were more drunk than sober people. It was hard to get passed them, all pressed into one mass of sweating bodies, but with firm shoves they started to get the idea and moved out of Daehyun’s way. The music was beginning to ring in his ears and a very dull, barely noticeable ache infiltrated them. Daehyun flicked his head, shaking his dark fringe out the way.
 
Once he’d gotten out of the dancing mass he spotted the birthday girl he’d been searching for. “Sunhwa noona! Happy Birthday!” He shouted over the loud music when she spotted him too, embracing him in one of her best hugs before he gave her the small gift he’d kept in his pocket.
 
“Thanks Daehyunnie, I’m glad you could make it! I just hope the weather doesn’t mess things up!” Daehyun found it hard to hear her but he knew she didn’t want to talk for long anyways, she had other guests to entertain and he couldn’t monopolise her time.
 
He stared around the room, noticing all the people there – some he knew and some he didn’t. Another loud clap of thunder broke the melody of the music, prompting one or two screams from a few girls. The bass beat into his ears over the obvious storm and he thought they might break at the heavy sound. He wasn’t a huge fan of the techno stuff but he admitted that it was the best for parties.
 
He walked over to the bathroom where the drinks were usually kept in the bathtub filled with ice. He’d been to Sunhwa’s house on many occasions, not all of them with loud music and drinking, and knew exactly where everything was. Daehyun grabbed a cola, knowing the sugar and caffeine would give him the right kind of buzz that everyone else was getting from the alcohol, without damaging his cognitive functions for the night. He had a feeling that this was going to be a party he wanted to remember.
 
Daehyun made his way back towards the mob, hoping to find someone on the other side he could talk to away from the deafening beat. He skulled his drink to stop it from spilling and placed the empty can on a table before marching into the mosh pit. He let himself get bumped around, thinking of it as an adventure to see where he would end up. He moved along with the beat but didn’t quite dance, he wasn’t ready to let go of himself yet. He felt another body press up against him, but it was a bit different. They weren’t just moving with the group, this person was dancing on him. He spun to see a blurry eyed blonde boy whooping to the music and sipping his drink as he moved close again, grinding against Daehyun’s side. The guy was obviously tipsy, his plastic cup of some blue and purple drink spilling with each move of his hips. He draped one arm over Daehyun’s shoulder, biting his lip as he swayed to the music.
 
The blonde kid had a baby face that seemed to entice Daehyun in the boy’s stupor. His hair was fixed into spikes and he wore a navy blue leather jacket with dark skinny jeans. The boy his lips and looked Daehyun in the eyes, letting him know that this was time to let himself just enjoy the party.
 
Daehyun moved back against the other and held hard onto his hips. Grinding was Daehyun's favourite type of dancing but he really didn't care with the way this guy was doing it. Daehyun let his lips brush the guy’s ear, breathing heavy as they moved constantly with the bodies around them. He started to get hot quickly, not the kind of heat he was used to from the immense crowd, but a little something else that was more desperate rather than sticky. He knew exactly what was happening to him, but he wasn’t alone. The guy he danced with was oozing lust but Daehyun wasn’t going to act on it. He may have danced with strangers but he always maintained that he was a gentleman; appreciating when certain things had their moments. 
 
Daehyun couldn't tell how much time passed but it felt like only ten minutes – he guessed that it was probably an hour or so – and the boy in the blue had moved on only after a long while of dancing with the lucid brunette. Daehyun decided to take a seat and went to grab a bottle of water from the bathroom cooler first. His heart was beating fast from the exercise of dancing as well as the rush of meeting someone new. The blonde guy was someone he was definitely going to ask Sunhwa about.
 
When he arrived back, almost losing the bottle in the sea of people, the guy was sitting down on the staircase and looked closer to sober than Daehyun saw him before. As he got near though, someone pulled the guy back into the mosh pit and Daehyun felt an unusually strong wave of disappointment. The boy seemed like he could have been a great person to talk to, and honestly, Daehyun had been looking forward to a conversation all night. It might have been the reason he'd stayed so long.
 
Daehyun tried his best to keep enjoying himself, but he couldn’t stop looking for the guy in blue. He’d mesmerised Daehyun and was just going to get away from him after all that? Daehyun didn’t want to let that happen.
 
Sooner than he expected, the blue leather caught his eye as he peered through the front window. The blonde boy was walking along the sidewalk but hadn’t gone far before Daehyun raced out of the house. He also noticed that it was beginning to rain outside, the light droplets shimmering in the spotlights that shone from the small DJ podium.
 
The rain didn't shimmer outside though, the moon just barely peeked through the clouds and Daehyun was surprised he could still see his own feet.
 
He moved quickly but slowed when he got up behind the boy and swallowed over the nervous lump in his throat. “Hi.” Daehyun popped his head passed the boy’s shoulder, peeking at him from below. The boy jumped in fright, leaping back a few steps with a yelp.
 
“Geez, you scared me.” He held a hand to his chest and rubbed his eyes with the other. They were bloodshot and Daehyun could see that he was still slightly intoxicated. Daehyun’s throat tickled at the sight of the blonde boy looking so cute and frightened. He could still hear the thumping house music and silently begged to be able to walk faster.
 
“Sorry.” Daehyun stood up straight and laughed, rubbing the back of his neck like it could get rid of his blush – it didn’t. “I noticed you leaving and thought you might like someone to walk with since it’s so late.” Finally Daehyun might be able to talk to this boy rather than just grind on him. No matter how much he enjoyed the latter, a conversation was always a better idea to him when getting to know someone.
 
“Uh, yeah, if you like.” Daehyun fell in to step with the boy as they began walking together. The night air was chilly for spring and Daehyun shoved his hands into his jean pockets, keeping them from the cold of the rain. “Youngjae by the way.”
 
“Hm?” Daehyun had gotten lost in a few thoughts about what he’d experienced with this guy earlier and wasn’t expecting him to talk.
 
“My name. Yoo Youngjae.” Daehyun mouthed an ‘ah’ and let the word roll of his tongue.
 
“Mmm, Youngjae. Youngjae. Youngjae.” Jung Youngjae. The last was just for himself, a beginning to what he knew would be countless fantasies and daydreams. “It’s nice to meet you.” He gave him a dimpled smile and Youngjae returned it with his own. Daehyun’s heart was beating loud and he hoped the other couldn’t hear it; it would give away too much too soon. They both jumped when deafening thunder rolled through the clouds above them, adding to the slight rain that was already tapping their shoulders. A shock of lightning lit up Youngjae’s features just as Daehyun turned to him and he realised just how handsome he thought Youngjae was. The boy looked a bit like he was anticipating something and Daehyun’s mind clicked.
 
“Oh, I’m Jung Daehyun.” He laughed nervously, trying to shake off the tickly feeling creeping its way through his body. “How do you know Sunhwa?” Youngjae looked at him oddly before processing the question.
 
“Ah, oh I know her from school. She’s my maths tutor since she is top of her year. You?”
 
“She and I have been going to singing lessons together for a few years now.” Youngjae looked impressed by Daehyun’s answer and possibly a little jealous. Why though, Daehyun couldn’t work out. Was it the singing?
 
“I had fun tonight.” Youngjae smiled softly and Daehyun’s heart skipped a beat. He knew he looked like an idiot with his mouth hanging open but that was not what he’d expected to hear.
 
“Uh...yeah? I did too. Even though this is the first time we met.” Daehyun pulled up his hood as the rain started falling faster, the drops growing with the increasing show of noise and light.
 
Youngjae laughed sheepishly. “Yeah, sorry about the dancing. I wasn’t really myself. I still don’t think I am.” He rubbed again at his face, sighing in dismay. “I hope I remember all of it though.” Daehyun was going to remember for sure. His breath had been knocked out of him by Youngjae and that was not something to forget, not the way someone can spark something inside of another.
 
The lighting lit up the sky once more and the rain started to really beat down on them. Youngjae kept walking though, popping up his collar, and Daehyun kept following. They walked until their clothes were soaked through, Youngjae’s jacket keeping him only a little bit dryer than Daehyun in his hoodie. 
 
Daehyun didn’t bother to take note of what direction they were walking in but he was surprised to recognise some of the places they passed, especially a bridge in the park they walked through. He pulled on Youngjae’s shoulder, a silent request to stop and he obliged.
 
“We can wait until it lets up a bit. Maybe dry ourselves too.” Youngjae nodded, shivering as the air bit at his wet body. Daehyun’s breath caught in his throat when an idea came to him. He stepped slowly closer to Youngjae until their sides were pressed together. The blonde boy wrapped his arms around Daehyun immediately, much to the latter’s surprise, and they stayed like that for a long while with Daehyun’s chin rested on Youngjae’s shoulder. They still shivered but it was not so bad, a few degrees warmer than standing alone.
 
“Youngjae?” The other hummed as he nestled into the warmth of Daehyun’s neck. “Do you want to hang out with me sometime? You know, when it’s not raining, and you haven’t been drinking?” Youngjae looked up at him with a small smile and nodded over his chattering teeth. Daehyun wasn’t sure what to do with himself. He’d been so unceremoniously at the party and now the guy he’d danced with had him in a tight hug to keep warm. The proximity of their bodies was making Daehyun’s mind sway as he could smell Youngjae’s cologne mixed with the sweetness of leather, rather than the bitter alcohol that had lingered earlier. Daehyun took his chance.
 
He quickly pecked Youngjae’s pouty bottom lip while the boy was still smiling. He pulled back to gauge his reaction but Youngjae just looked blank, until his lips jutted out just enough for Daehyun to think trying again was a good idea. He pressed more softly onto Youngjae’s mouth waiting for him to respond this time. When he did, Daehyun thought he might explode. His tongue traced Youngjae’s lips before slipping between them. He tasted like sweet oranges but acidic from whatever he’d been drinking.
 
Youngjae tilted his head up and Daehyun deepened their kiss. He barely noticed how the rain slowed, forming a discreet patter as the thunder grew quieter with it. When he pulled back Daehyun looked around him, realising it was time to go. He took Youngjae’s hand and led them out into the receding storm. He was definitely not going to forget the night quickly, he wasn’t sure he could forget it at all.

I think I wrote this one a little differently to usual. Just with word choice and tone.

Someone unsubscribed :( oh well, their loss

But yeah, enjoy/vote/comment :D <3

Wait! There's more! ........soon ^^