How Can I Smile (DAELO)

Casualty of Love (Oneshot Collection)

this one is for Mischievous_Puppet :) it's not as good as I had hoped but i think you guys might like it anyways, i hope the ending isnt too confusing ^-^


The room was close to crowded but Daehyun could tell that was for a reason. The other rooms – the kitchen, dining area, the hall – were all empty as everyone gathered in the centre of the apartment. Daehyun had just arrived and it took him a moment, following the babble of voices, to find everyone watching and waiting. He couldn’t find who he was looking for as he pushed between people, hurriedly apologising as he felt a little more desperate with each person he passed.

He didn’t know what was happening, he hadn’t expected everyone to be like they were and he felt that something was wrong.  He had purposely chosen to arrive late in order to allow people to settle into the party before he came to disturb it. He cursed himself for not seeing how foolish he was.

Just as he reached the middle, one person between him and the small space left in the centre of the throng, Daehyun heard the chime of a glass being tapped with a spoon. His heart stopped for a second that felt like a minute. It was only able to restart when relief flooded through him when he caught sight of the one he was trying to find. He looked as handsome as ever with his porcelain skin and the black suit and tie complementing his ark purple hair.

Daehyun almost chuckled at how shy and cute Junhong looked being the centre of attention. What stopped him was the girl hanging loosely onto his elbow, swanning in in a much too short black dress and look of selfish pride smothered across her face. Daehyun had never seen her before although she felt vaguely familiar to him. His eyes narrowed as a flash of curiosity mingled with anger coursed through him. Junhong didn’t look as if he cared she was there, in fact the boy seemed to want her there. He smiled cutely into his hand, covering his face in embarrassment before placing it over hers the held onto his arm.

The stood in the middle of the group and everyone shuffled forward just a little to get closer. That was when a shoulder bumped Daehyun’s. He planned to complain but his words were caught in his throat.

“Dude! What are you doing here?” Youngjae, Daehyun’s best friend, whispered harshly to him.

“What do you mean? I was invited.” Youngjae rolled his eyes. Daehyun never got the hint or if he did, he ignored it.

“You should leave.” Youngjae was also Junhong’s older brother. He would know all about what was going on and Daehyun suddenly felt sick. If he wasn’t meant to be there, why was he invited? “Daehyun-” Youngjae was cut off by the girl clearing . Everyone became silent immediately and she smiled at the people closest to her – Daehyun could see how fake it was.

“We have an announcement to make.” Daehyun scoffed, that much was obvious. Youngjae elbowed him again. The girl couldn’t see where the sound had come from but her steady gaze hardened for a short moment. She smiled once more to recover and glanced at Junhong before giggling. His smile looked almost pained and Daehyun was holding back just going to the boy and taking him away from there.

“Junhonggie and I…well…we’re getting married!” She squealed as she rushed out the words and shoved her left hand out in front of her. All the other women pushed forward to see the dazzling diamond that stuck out from her ring finger. Daehyun’s heart dropped to his feet, being trampled with each person the pushed passed him to get to the couple.

“Daehyun-” Youngjae was cut off again but by Daehyun’s intense glare. Why had Youngjae not told him about Junhong’s girlfriend? Why had he not mentioned the engagement? Why had he not said a single ing word? They spent enough time with each other for Daehyun to expect the truth but he hadn’t received it.

“You’re such a , Youngjae.” Daehyun glanced once more back at the couple but was a little shocked to see Junhong staring at him. His eyes were blank, shielding Daehyun from ever knowing what the boy was thinking in that moment but Daehyun almost didn’t notice. He had forgotten what it felt like to have that stare fixed on him and his heart skipped several beats.

He couldn’t hold it though, not like Junhong seemed to try and do. He turned, shaking off Youngjae’s hand when the other tried to stop him. Daehyun just walked, trying not to run as he fought off the heat rising in his chest. He wanted to shout and cry and scream.

He had gone to that party in the hope of getting Junhong back, in the hope of reminding the boy how happy they had been together. He had just wanted to love Junhong properly again and to have Junhong love him back. His hopes had never been crushed and destroyed so badly.

Pain was shooting through his chest as he tried not to stumble up a short set of steps. He moved quickly wandering through an empty hall. He guessed he was in the part of the apartment that was, to common sense, off limits. Daehyun straightened up then, having the couple of his sight and his hearing made it a little easier to process just how broken his heart was.

The pain subsided as he looked around, taking in the space. He pushed through of the doors to find a room that looked a little odd to him. There were things around the room that suggested the room had an owner, one that had been in there not long before, but the bed was perfectly made, the large expanse of floor that was available was spotlessly clean and even the dresser and side tables were uncluttered. Everything was too…perfect looking.

Daehyun looked at everything properly. This was the bedroom, their bedroom. It belonged to that girl and Junhong. Daehyun couldn’t understand how someone could actually find the room relaxing when it was all too much like a lovesick fairytale.

The knickknacks on the dresser were all too feminine, Daehyun wondered if Junhong even lived with this girl. Not a thing in the room asides from the men’s clothes spilling from the drawers in the walk-in closet suggested that a guy was there.

He rounded a small where there was a dressing table with a chair lazily pushed in. It was covered in jewellery and make-up. Daehyun recognised one of the necklaces – the chain thick silver with a dog-tag pendant reading ‘Forever Mine’ in block letters.  It sent a shockwave through his body. He hadn’t realised Junhong had kept it, the present Daehyun had given him for his 18th birthday. Mumbled voices reach his ears and he quickly put the silver chain back. He peeked around the corner to see the girl walk in and around a different corner to the bathroom. He swore she didn’t breathe as she spoke, not pausing once.

Quickly after, Junhong entered the bedroom as well. Daehyun took his chance and slipped out to face him, not caring how he would explain being in there. Junhong froze.

They stared at each other for what felt like eternity. The last time Daehyun had seen Junhong was at the younger’s 20th birthday. He was now 21 and Daehyun was examining how each part of him changed. The first thing he noticed was the boy’s eyes. They looked stonier, less alive but still as bright as he’d last seen them, as if their dying flame was sparked alight again. His hair was darker and he was taller for sure. Daehyun wondered how high he would have to be on his tiptoes to reach the boy’s fuller, pink lips that were begging to him. Or maybe he was begging to them?

Daehyun remembered how they felt brushing his and his heart burned in a short sharp heat. He glanced to Junhong’s hands, how they hung loosely by his sides the way they would be before Daehyun would have taken them in one his own and kissed each knuckle until Junhong blushed.

Daehyun noticed Junhong’s eyes flicker downwards, assessing the elder just as much. Daehyun thought about how much he had changed. Not a lot, he found it hard to do so when his heart ached for what was passed. He had tried his best to stay back in that time, he probably seemed no different.

His ears focused again and he realised the girl had been speaking for the full few minutes that Daehyun had appraised Junhong. “Do you think we should go to Las Vegas?? Ah I’d love to go there! It must be so beautiful at night. Haven’t you been there before? Is it really as nice as it seems?” She paused for only a second, not enough time for Junhong to reply even he was going to. “Junhonggie! Answer-” She came out of the bathroom with an exasperated look but stopped when she caught sight of Daehyun. “Excuse me, who the heck are you? This is my bed-”

“Could you leave please?” Daehyun didn’t look away from Junhong’s eyes and the younger didn’t break either. He didn’t care if he offended, which he knew he did from the way she scoffed, that was her problem.

“You list-”

“Noona.” Junhong turned his head towards her without looking away. His tone was pleading but at the same time there was a hint of authority. The girl huffed and left the room, her ridiculous wedge heels stomping the cream carpet.

There was a long, heavy silence as Junhong struggled to find something to say. Daehyun only wanted to take in Junhong with his eyes. Every memory he had was flooding his mind and he couldn’t discern between them.

“What do you think then?” Junhong moved to sit on the edge of the bed, breaking their gazes as he stared at his hands.

“This is a nice apartment. Not really your style though.” Daehyun mused, knowing full well what Junhong was asking. He just wanted to draw out the moments that he could hear Junhong’s voice.

“It’s not no. But I meant the engagement.” Junhong looked up, only as far as Daehyun’s waist before his features fell in shame.

“You don’t want it do you?” Junhong’s eyes turned glassy and he shook his. Daehyun’s heart was breaking. Who thought they had the right to force Junhong into this? Was it that girl? He would deal with her.

“Junhong-ah.” Daehyun sat down beside the boy and placed his hand on his knee. “You don’t have to do it.” Junhong looked up at him, confusion welling in his eyes.

“Of course I do.”

Daehyun took a deep breath. He had said it to Junhong before, and he had meant. He meant it even more when he said it to the boy again. “Run away with me. We don’t have to forget each other like we tried to do. I still you Junhong-ah, I won’t let you be forced into something. Come with me. We can be together again. We can get back those memories that you let go so long ago.”

“I let go? I didn’t let them go. I’ve never forgotten about you hyung.” Junhong buried his face in his hands. Daehyun was feel stress build up in his chest along with the desperate love that he’d tried to put away for too long.

“You never forgot? Then how could you let this happen?” Junhong looked at him again but with incredible hurt in his eyes. Daehyun’s breath quickened and he tried to fix it, he didn’t ever want to see Junhong stop smiling. “It…it doesn’t matter what happened in the past. Let’s start over.”

Daehyun stood and pulled on Junhong’s arms. They stood in front of each other, only an inch between their faces as Daehyun leaned in. He pressed his thick lips gently to Junhong’s slightly smaller ones. It was only half a second of electrified contact before Junhong started to kiss back. It was slow and sweet, Daehyun could have kissed like that for an eternity.

“No.” Junhong pulled away, breathy with heavy lids as he leant his forehead against the elder’s.

“I think you mean yes.” Daehyun titled his chin to kiss the boy again but Junhong took a step back.

“What are you doing?” The girl came back into the room with scowl carved onto her lips. She looked atrocious but fuzzy. Daehyun blinked a few times but he couldn’t focus on her. When he turned to Junhong the boy was smiling but not at Daehyun, he was looking around and shaking people’s hands.

“Daehyun! What are you doing?” Youngjae looked angry but scared as he stared at his friend. He was leaning away with his shoulder at a strange angle. It was only when he noticed the pain in Youngjae’s eyes that Daehyun realised he was holding too tightly to the other’s arm. He let it go and turned quickly, half-jogging out of the room.

Everything was fuzzy and turning red as the hurt and fury ignited his blood. He felt like he was on fire and he just wanted it to stop. How could he have imagined that whole scene? Had Junhong really stopped loving so quickly, so easily? Why did Daehyun have to be such an idiot? Of course Junhong didn’t love; of course he wasn’t forced into marrying that girl. Youngjae hadn’t told him because Junhong really was happy.

Daehyun found himself in the kitchen. He could tell from the mess of glasses and empty plates. What caught his eyes was the tall open bottle of wine near the sink. He practically stumbled over to it, clutching his chest as it became hard to breathe. Daehyun didn’t bother with a glass. He pulled out the stop and raised it up from the neck, downing half of it in one. He swallowed a breath that intensified the bitter flavour on his tongue before drinking the last of the wine worth at least two glasses. He sighed and put the bottle down, feeling himself ease from the alcohol working through his system as he turned to lean against the bench.

“Hyung?” Daehyun lifted his heavy eyes to see Junhong standing in the doorway with a curious look. Daehyun smiled, half in pain, half in relief. Junhong smiled back, taking note of the wine bottle before stepping closer. “I’m glad you came. I was worried you might not.” Junhong dropped his eyes. He and Daehyun had spent so long together that he was afraid the elder would hate him now. “What do you think?” He raised his eyebrows.

“Huh?” Daehyun suddenly felt like he was up in that bedroom, Junhong’s eyes low in discontent. He blinked and the kitchen reappeared.

“What do you think?” Junhong chuckled shyly. “Of…of the engagement?”

“I..I want you to be happy.” Daehyun smiled half-heartedly and tried to speak with all the sincerity he could muster, he felt that Junhong believed it, but he knew that he would still have that look in his eyes, the one that read broken.