Illa Illa (DAEJAE)

Casualty of Love (Oneshot Collection)

for Shino159. hope it's okay even though it's short, i haven't been able to put in much effort with my assignments right now. if it's really bad i might rewrite at the end of my semester later this year. :)


Daehyun puffed out his cheeks and stuck his hands in his pockets. The river was beautiful beside him but his mind felt cluttered with random thoughts about the weather, the coming summer, passed summers. His thoughts danced into his years at high school, remembering the hot days he’d spent with friends at the public pool. He remembered seeing a boy there that had taken his breath away.

The boy hadn’t been slim and tall like him or his friends and his features were softer, that touch more feminine. Daehyun hadn’t minded, preferred it in fact. That boy had taken his heart just by walking passed with a disinterested glance at the rowdy jocks.

The boy was Youngjae, one of Daehyun’s slightly younger best friends.  He was taken aback to discover the younger’s hidden beauty and Daehyun felt changed. He longed for things he shouldn’t have and even though Youngjae noticed his change, he didn’t treat Daehyun any different. Daehyun sighed, feeling grateful even then.

He remembered the more painful moments then. Youngjae seemed almost oblivious to the way Daehyun felt and it made the elder awkward when they had been together. He became so unsure of himself, of how to control himself, that he began ignoring Youngjae; opting to stay home in his room than face his heart. As he thought longer, it had caused him more pain to abandon the friendship for his own selfishness.

Daehyun stopped in his tracks. His eyes followed to across the street where a couple were walking into a café. His gaze graced the man’s body. He had matured so much from the baby-faced boy he’d known. He looked much more handsome and wonderful and Daehyun felt himself falling in love all over again. Right until his eyes caught Youngjae’s hand. It was wrapped around a more feminine and petite one, the body attached to it that of a young girl with sweet features that matched Youngjae’s well. Daehyun could see that they were happy together and when Youngjae kissed her cheek before blushing, he could see that it was new love, not to be tampered with.

He turned away. His heart was burning and reaching out the other way but he ignored it. He ignored the pain of letting Youngjae go again. It wasn’t meant to be. First love was fleeting and lasted only a short time – that’s why it was simply the first.

He glanced over the water of the river and calmed down his tightened and fluttering chest. There was someone out there for him; he just had to be patient. He wondered though if they would be like Youngjae or if they would be different.

When Daehyun spun to walk back, he hit something. He knew it was a person, a little shorter and wider than him but what he noticed oddly enough was that their skin was much softer than his. He only saw a flash before he fell backwards and hit his on the pavement but he noticed the person’s hair was an odd shade of pink. As he looked up into the person’s eyes, he smiled at what he hadn’t exactly expected.

“Ah, gosh, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to do that.” The very handsome man rushed out the words but Daehyun didn’t mind. He liked those lips, he liked those eyes, he liked that voice.

“No, no, it’s okay. I’m alright.” The man held out his hand and Daehyun took it. It was firm but soft and Daehyun realised he held onto it a little too long. “Oh, sorry.” He laughed shyly and the other guy nodded before smiling awkwardly and walking off passed Daehyun. He swallowed. He thought of Youngjae for a second before he turned to watch the man walk. “Wait!” The man stopped and turned to look at Daehyun curiously.

“Yeah?” They met up after a few paces and Daehyun suddenly felt nervous for the first time since he’d discovered his feelings for Youngjae the first time.

“Uh, would uh, would you like to get coffee with me sometime?” He didn’t want to lose an opportunity. He didn’t care if he was wrong for hoping the guy would like him back but he really hoped he wasn’t.

The guy smiled shyly. “Um, sure, why not?” He laughed before creasing his brows. “I’m Jongup by the way.” He stuck out his hand and Daehyun shook.

“Jung Daehyun.”