Chapter Thirty Seven

When You Were Mine

Hundreds of people filled the popular destination.

 

Woohyun and Minji had to hold hands tightly (which Woohyun had no problem with whatsoever), in order to not lose each other through the crowd, as they made their way through. Luckily, they found a slightly less crowded area directly in front of the Han River itself.

 

They both stood at the cool silver railing as they stared out onto the sparkling river. Neither of them spoke. Minji was too busy staring at the beautiful river and sky. Woohyun was too busy staring at her.

 

"It’s already 11:45!" One couple squealed as they snuggled closely. Woohyun watched them, for a few seconds, before he looked at Minji. *I wonder if I’ll ever be able to do that with you, someday…* He smiled at his own thoughts.

 

"What are you going to wish for?" Minji beamed at him. Woohyun shrugged. *You.* "It’s a secret, you nosy ahjumma." He winked at her, and she pouted before she looked out onto the water.

 

"10!" People around began the countdown.

 

Minji squealed and clapped her hands together as she closed her eyes. *This is so exciting!* She giggled and bit her lip.

 

Woohyun looked at her and laughed as soft winds blew her hair around. He carefully curled a strand of her hair behind her ear.

 

Her eyes fluttered open as his touch sent shivers down her spine. She and Woohyun both locked into a deep staring contest. When Woohyun started to lean in, Minji blinked but didn’t question him or lean back.

 

"3! 2! 1… HAPPY NEW YEAR!"

 

Boyfriends started to spin their girlfriends around. Girlfriends started to squeal and make wishes. Some couples even kissed as soon as it turned to the new year. Children started to jump around. Some had mini fireworks and waved them around.

 

Everyone was excited. Everyone, except for one person, that is.

 

Infinite and Hyuna all excitedly jumped up and down as they stood by the railings and stared out onto the river.

 

L, on the other hand, stood far from them and watched Woohyun and Minji. He felt his fists clench tightly.

 

He watched as Woohyun curled her bangs behind her ear. He watched as they both stared at each other. Then… Woohyun started to lean in.

 

Unable to let his heart clench any longer, L looked away from the heart-breaking scene. At least, to him, it was heart-breaking.

 

All around him, couples kissed and hugged. He couldn’t stop himself from wondering if he and Minji would do that, if he hadn’t gotten caught.

 

His eyes widened in realization. It all just… clicked.

 

Why he didn’t want Woohyun and Minji to be friends. Why he felt angry when Woohyun and Minji walked closely. Why he felt angry when Woohyun went to Minji’s mansion. Why he felt angry when Woohyun and Minji skated together. Why he felt angry when Woohyun twirled Minji around. Why he felt angry when Woohyun curled Minji’s hair. Why he felt angry when Woohyun leaned in to kiss Minji. It all clicked, within that instant.

 

*I love her.*