Final

Heaven and Hell (120404)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

   The gap between the dark blue curtains from the room; awakens the young lady from her slumber.

   She has the feel that her skin is cooked, making her startle from her bed and ends up painfully falling down the carpeted floor, face first. The girl realizes the heat that touches her skin is from the sunrays peering outside her window. It is gentler than she imagined. She must have been dreaming.

   Pressing her palm flat, she quickly pushes herself up.

 

   'Wait, shouldn't I...'  Something is wrong.

 

   She sees the long chestnut colour of hair tousled in front of her. She sits, legs crossed on the floor, head still bending down. She knows she may look like the regular ghost in horror films.

   She is wearing a pair of plain baby blue pyjama. This is surely one of her clothes. She raises the collar of her shirt and peeks underneath it. There is no twin mountain built on her chest, but a little lump welcomes her. She wants to know what's under her pants too but disgust always comes before her. So instead, she spins, able to recognize it is her room since childhood, kneels up and faces her dresser. The mirror on top of it shows the same face she had. The same feminine appearance. There are pictures placed inside various-shaped-frame displayed in front of her reflection. From infant to teen, a girl is in there.

 

   'H-how could it be?' "Chanyeol!" Someone called her outside, far from her room. That's her name but she is not getting over the confusion. The voice of the speaker is familiar as well.

   Moving the riddle aside for now, she wants to check the person who called her first.

 

   She hurriedly runs down the stairs, faint smokes and smell of a soup brushes to her face. Someone is obviously cooking so she heads to the kitchen. When she is about to reach the said spot, her movement becomes slower, tiptoeing, carefully glimpses inside there.

 

   'Seaweed soup.' She figures it out but she snaps herself. The person cooking it is much important than the food. She can sight a woman's back at her end, who wore noticeably a pink apron and joyfully humming as she stirs the metal pot with a ladle in her hand. Without a doubt, the woman is who she missed for a long time.

   "Till when are you going to keep standing there?" The woman turns her head to her direction then returns her focus on the soup. The young girl wants to squeal in excitement but she holds it.

   Step by step, she walks forward like she is savouring the moment of seeing the person in front of her.

   "More than seventeen years ago," Mrs. Park started. "your Father and I were happily married. However, nothing would fulfil our relationship unless a baby would be included and called ourselves family. We prayed and prayed and patiently waited for the God to gra—" She is unable to complete her story because Chanyeol stops her by a tight hug. For the first time in his—her life, she loves to hear the tale of her birth; but, this reunion is more significant than anything else.

   At this point of time, to feel the warmth of her mother is what she needs the most.

   "Chanyeol?" She glances up to her mother, grinning, then goes back burying her face to latter's shoulder. Mrs. Park does not know what is going on with her daughter but she answers her with embrace as well.

   "I miss you, Mom."

   "Well, we you always see me every day. What's wrong, Channie?" The woman lifts her face gently with her hands. She is crying and she knows how ugly she looks when her Mom suddenly laughed. "Oh my god! What happened to your nose?"

   "I hit my face on the floor." She honestly said. Mrs. Park sympathises her by holding her into her arms but chuckling. “Mom!”

   The woman presses her tightly. “I’m sorry, child. Anyways, Happy Birthday.”

   “Thanks.” Chanyeol beams looking at her. The mother and daughter are having a happy time together when another person joins them in the kitchen.

   Mr. Park. He is wearing a business suit, ready for his work. Chanyeol cannot control the cringe showing on her face as she noticed her father. It is because the awful and awkward memories between them weigh more in her mind. Still connected to her mother, she moves backward with her when her Dad is approaching.

   Mr. Park seems not to be bothered by her reaction, smiling brightly approaching his wife and her. “It’s wonderful to see the two special women in my life. But wait, why are you getting away?”

   “Mom.” Chanyeol whispered and took her mother’s attention back to her. “You better find me another Dad. I don’t like him.”

   Her Mom laughs and her Dad is confused.

 

   After dealing with her puzzling behaviour in the morning, her parents decide that they should accompany her to school. She keeps telling them that she is not out of her mind. No, she is actually thinking that she is losing herself and a big why is floating above her head. She does not tell them what is eating her though because there is chance she will find herself locked in the asylum. Instead, she remains silent and still as they travel their way to her school.

   Her Mom shows a smile but her eyes are telling something else when they stop in front of the Academy’s gate and so her Dad. They are still bothered of her actions before breakfast.  Chanyeol comes out of door’s car, looking back in an instance then walks forward. “Just having the worse nightmare of my life, other than that, I’m ok. See you tonight.” She grips the strap of her backpack tightly before running away from her father’s car.

 

   There are a lot of movement she keeps on noticing as she sprints the woods of her school. She comes there early so there is enough time that she can wander around. Her blue skirt is bouncing, her long legs are exposing underneath there, she bites her lower lip and she knows it will bleed soon. After using all her strength in running, she gasps for air and her feet rest into walking instead. In the silence of the surrounding, the peace of the cold autumn, her brain is suddenly jammed of questions.

 

   She, who was born as a he, is supposedly a she. But, she, who is no longer a he, is a she. She is supposedly a he. No, he is supposedly a she. Being a person who has the ability to swap gender effortlessly is the most confusing thing in the world. She is the most confusing person in the world.

   ‘But, shouldn’t I be born as a boy? Shouldn’t Mom be dead? Why is she alive? Why am I a girl? Why is it my seventeenth birthday today? Where is Kris? If the world is reset, why it is so bizarre like this? Why?’ She kneels down, bends to the floor full of dried-dead-leaves; her hands both hold the back of her head. She is breathing heavily as she thinks a lot of stuff. The pictures on top of her dresser, flashes in her thoughts. They are memory of her existence and she cannot remember she is a girl wearing colourful bright dresses in those. Or, maybe, her memories are fabricated. She must be really living as a girl. And the fresh memoirs of apocalypse, heaven and hell are all dream. ‘Dream? Yes, they can be simply a dream.’ But her mind is suddenly covered of black smokes.

   “They can’t be a dream! And, I will never forget Kris! I love him!” She screams and she does not realised her eyes have so much tears.

 

   School time is over. It has been a hell for her. Everything around the academy is the same like it should be. Except; there are a greater number of boys crowding her way than girls. There are no Minseok by his side who protects her and always helps her to escape from her fans. There is no Kyungsoo either. In placed, she tries her own skill of getting away by tricking them that there is a prettier girl to where she points her finger. But with no luck, the boys keep eyeing at her and intimidating grins flash on their lips. 

   They are shadowing her path, and it feels like there is no way out of them. The boys are coming closer to her predatorily, in any minute, will jump over her while she will be crying for her life. The girls lingering at the side are just staring at her with judgement. They will not save her from the upcoming attack of the boys, because envy is visibly written all over their faces.

   Her heart is pounding hard and inside her mind, she is cursing why she became a girl. This is also the first time she regrets her popularity. But Chanyeol knows; the cursing and regretting will not do any good at this moment. Walking backward, she bumps to a taller figure behind her. Her gang of fanboys freeze as if they see a ghost standing at her back.

   "What are you guys playing at?" A deep-tone-voice spoke behind her; unconsciously, she smiles at hearing it.

   She is hoping it is the person that fills up her mind right now. She turns her head to the direction of their eyes and sees her Math Teacher is glaring at the files of boys in front of them. Disappointment makes the light on her eyes diminish from her. She does not even care about the fact that this person is the only one who saves her.

   Everyone steps backs and leaves Chanyeol and her teacher behind. When they are completely gone, the tall man places his hand on her shoulder, leaning his face to her. The apprehension is still there, although her Teacher shows no malice for her.

   "Are you alright?" He asked. She swallows and nods to the question. The Teacher smiles brightly and it completely takes the awkward air away. "Are you going home?"

 

   They walk side by side at the corridor and silence fills up the air between them. As they reach the gate, the Teacher waves her goodbye.

   And before Chanyeol leaves, she politely says. "Thank you, Mr. Kim."

   "No problem. Oh by the way, Happy Birthday, Chanyeol."

   "H-how did you know?"

   Awkwardness arrives surrounding them once more. Chanyeol's doe eyes blinks and mouth is hanged open while her Teacher scratches the back of his neck.

   He chuckles. "Of course. I'm your advisor and the whole student population keep talking about it."

   Chanyeol nods as she understands. "Of course."

   They bid farewell and soon Chanyeol disappears from the seen.

 

   She gazes the building in front of her. It is the SM Entertainment. Chanyeol does not know if she is still a trainee in this parallel world, so she keeps standing and just stares at it, not until an arm hooks over her shoulders. She turns her head to see the owner and finds the beaming Baekhyun, who is still wearing his school uniform similar as hers.

   "Are you planning to skip class today?" He asked.

   Chanyeol's eyes open widely and gaps. She is dazed to see him alive the same time he is looking at her warmly. If she will weep loudly, she will do so because she is overwhelmed with happiness.

   "Bacon!" Her tone is off. She tugs her arms around the shorter's waist and she receives a delightful laugh from the latter.

   "Haha. Are you eating a lot of that this morning? Park Chanyeol, let me remind you that my name is Byun Baekhyun."

   "I know and it's nice to see you again." Her eyelids flutter innocently that the other let her insulting greeting slide.

   "Alright but, you're so strange today." The comment quickly lets loose the long arms around Baekhyun. She is receiving a lot of puzzled look since morning due to her behaviour so she should stop acting weird. "Good thing you take that arm around from me. It's not nice to hear rumours even we're just trainees, isn't it? Uh...we should keep going because I know everyone is waiting."

   'Everyone?' The thoughts of the people, who are at her side all the time, makes her look forward of what is coming if she enters the building. Hand in hand with Baekhyun as they walk the lane has no difference with their intimate position before.

   In the midst of their walk, Chanyeol mentions the chaos she faced in her school today. She plans to transfer school and she thinks of studying in Baekhyun's.

   "What?" Baekhyun stops climbing the staircase when she openly said her thoughts. "But, mine's a public school."

   "So?" Blinking, she bends her head down staring at him below, intersecting her torso on the railings. She is on the other set of stairs before him.

   "You're studying in an exclusive school and means you don't belong to my kind

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter